Comcast Converter Box Required Now?
Subscribe via RSS Feed

Comcast Converter Box Required Now?


This is a discussion on Comcast Converter Box Required Now? within the Comcast forums, part of the Cable and Satellite Providers category.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
Like Tree5Likes

  1. #1
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1

    Comcast Converter Box Required Now?

    I just saw a story that says that Comcast is requiring ALL customers to get digital converter boxes.



    1. Is this true?

    2. Is there any additional costs that anybody knows of? I have 2 TVs.

    Here is the story LancasterOnline.com:News:Comcast to require converter boxes

  2. #2
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    255

    yes it's true. Comcast is going to all digital which means you'll need a box. Just like you would with DirecTv, Dish Network, FioS or Uverse.

    from the article

    DO I NEED A DIGITAL ADAPTER?

    Yes, if you are a Comcast customer who subscribes to the "expanded basic package" channels 25 (ESPN) through 78 (the Food Network) and plug your cable wire directly into the TV.

    WHAT IF I SUBSCRIBE TO ONLY THE BASIC SERVICE?

    Comcast subscribers who now get only channels 2 through 24 do not need to do anything. The "limited basic" service will not be affected by the digital transition.

    I HAVE A DIGITAL BOX ON ONE TV, BUT NOT ON ANOTHER. DO I NEED ADAPTERS?

    Yes, if you want to keep getting channels 25 through 78 on your other TVs, you will need to order digital adapters for them.

    WHAT IF I DO NOTHING?

    On TVs without adapters, you will continue to receive channels 2 through 13, 19 through 24 and 96. But you will not get channels 25 through 78 after the transition.

    HOW MUCH DO ADAPTERS COST?

    Comcast will provide one set-top box and two adapters at no cost. Additional set-top boxes cost $6.95 a month, and adapters $1.99 a month. There is no increase in service costs.

    HOW DO I GET THEM?

    Log on to comcast.com/digitalnow or call (877) 634-4434 from your home phone. Make sure you have your Comcast "unique identification number" available; it's located at the top of a letter you should be getting in the mail any day now.

    CAN I INSTALL THEM MYSELF?

    Yes.

    WHEN DOES THE TRANSITION HAPPEN?

    It will occur in stages; the first bloc of channels will be moved over in mid- to late April. The remainder will be shifted a short time later.

  3. #3
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,857

    Quote Originally Posted by ComcastSubscriber View Post
    I just saw a story that says that Comcast is requiring ALL customers to get digital converter boxes.

    1. Is this true?
    Not 100% true, no. Rather, like all their competitors, they're going all-digital, which means all subscribers will need a digital tuner, but not necessarily a digital converter box. Those subscribers who have old televisions will be able to use digital converter boxes to bridge that gap in their old equipment.

    They are also eventually going to encrypt everything beyond B1 level service (the local over-the-air broadcast channels) to better secure their service from theft. Consequently, you're going to need a CableCARD-compatible digital tuner to tune in anything beyond B1 level service. Those subscribers who don't have CableCARD-compatible digital tuners will be able to use digital converter boxes to bridge that gap in their equipment.

    Quote Originally Posted by ComcastSubscriber View Post
    2. Is there any additional costs that anybody knows of? I have 2 TVs.
    If all you're doing is trying to receive B1 level service on additional televisions then the first two DTAs are complementary. As I mentioned earlier, they are also eventually going to encrypt everything beyond B1 level service, and they have already done so in some areas: You'll need digital converter boxes (STBs) or CableCARDs (not just DTAs) for televisions on which you want to receive encrypted cable networks. The first STB is included with your digital package fee. Additional STBs or CableCARDs are available at local rates, ranging from $1.50 to $10, and may be priced either as equipment rentals, mirroring fees, or a combination of both.
    Jason Fritz likes this.

  4. #4
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1

    i have a questin....i know a friend who was getting free comcast basic cable until this occured and they insist that after they buy a kit off ebay that all theyll need to do s connect it to their tv and then they will get the basic channels back....will this really work for them? will they need to have any kind of special code or anything to activate it or will it activate on its own?

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston Tx USA
    Posts
    1,015

    sarbear,

    I have a question...
    Just what do you mean by "free comcast basic cable",
    Is your friend stealing this service ?

    If the answer to my question is "yes", then I'm going to
    delete your post and ban you !
    We DO NOT condone theft of any PTV service on this Site !
    Last edited by SWHouston; 03-28-2011 at 07:47 AM.

  6. #6
    Unregistered
    Guest

    Alternatives?

    On additional TV's can a converter be purchased from a 3rd party? I do not want to pay $7 bucks a month for my extra TV's. Also isn't it true if you have a digital TV you do not need a box at all?


    Quote Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post
    yes it's true. Comcast is going to all digital which means you'll need a box. Just like you would with DirecTv, Dish Network, FioS or Uverse.

    from the article

    DO I NEED A DIGITAL ADAPTER?

    Yes, if you are a Comcast customer who subscribes to the "expanded basic package" channels 25 (ESPN) through 78 (the Food Network) and plug your cable wire directly into the TV.

    WHAT IF I SUBSCRIBE TO ONLY THE BASIC SERVICE?

    Comcast subscribers who now get only channels 2 through 24 do not need to do anything. The "limited basic" service will not be affected by the digital transition.

    I HAVE A DIGITAL BOX ON ONE TV, BUT NOT ON ANOTHER. DO I NEED ADAPTERS?

    Yes, if you want to keep getting channels 25 through 78 on your other TVs, you will need to order digital adapters for them.

    WHAT IF I DO NOTHING?

    On TVs without adapters, you will continue to receive channels 2 through 13, 19 through 24 and 96. But you will not get channels 25 through 78 after the transition.

    HOW MUCH DO ADAPTERS COST?

    Comcast will provide one set-top box and two adapters at no cost. Additional set-top boxes cost $6.95 a month, and adapters $1.99 a month. There is no increase in service costs.

    HOW DO I GET THEM?

    Log on to comcast.com/digitalnow or call (877) 634-4434 from your home phone. Make sure you have your Comcast "unique identification number" available; it's located at the top of a letter you should be getting in the mail any day now.

    CAN I INSTALL THEM MYSELF?

    Yes.

    WHEN DOES THE TRANSITION HAPPEN?

    It will occur in stages; the first bloc of channels will be moved over in mid- to late April. The remainder will be shifted a short time later.

  7. #7

    Blogger: Orry's Orations

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    On the planet Earth
    Posts
    3,110
    Blog Entries
    276

    As of yesterday, from what I was told by Comcast, the adapters are free and you get channels 2 to 99. I didn't really ask a lot of questions about it because I wasn't going to switch, but I was asking about specials and things, and that's one of the options she gave me.
    n2rj likes this.

  8. #8
    Unregistered
    Guest

    do you have a "?"

    Quote Originally Posted by SWHouston View Post
    sarbear,

    I have a question...
    Just what do you mean by "free comcast basic cable",
    Is your friend stealing this service ?

    If the answer to my question is "yes", then I'm going to
    delete your post and ban you !
    We DO NOT condone theft of any PTV service on this Site !
    NO it absolutely DOES NOT mean they are STEALING anything. It is how Comcast MARKETS their overinflated prices for the crappy service they call basic cable these days. You PAY for a bunch of infomercials. Obviously you have never been poor enough to have that horrible corporation try to rip you off like the rest of humanity. GET Your FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE you insult other people (or are you so technology driven that you think there isn't another person on the other side of the comment)

    And YES Comcast IS forcing all of us WORKING folk to get digital boxes for the "free" cable that comes along with your internet service. If you turn on your TV and don't have the box you get a blue screen that says to get a box. That is all. Remember folks Basic cable used to be 38 channels back in the day real ones with real shows, now you pay through the nose for the same service but its called something different.... but they will give you infomercials for FREE!!!!!!! deal of the century

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Monument, CO
    Posts
    2,895
    Blog Entries
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    NO it absolutely DOES NOT mean they are STEALING anything. It is how Comcast MARKETS their overinflated prices for the crappy service they call basic cable these days. You PAY for a bunch of infomercials. Obviously you have never been poor enough to have that horrible corporation try to rip you off like the rest of humanity. GET Your FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE you insult other people (or are you so technology driven that you think there isn't another person on the other side of the comment)

    And YES Comcast IS forcing all of us WORKING folk to get digital boxes for the "free" cable that comes along with your internet service. If you turn on your TV and don't have the box you get a blue screen that says to get a box. That is all. Remember folks Basic cable used to be 38 channels back in the day real ones with real shows, now you pay through the nose for the same service but its called something different.... but they will give you infomercials for FREE!!!!!!! deal of the century
    While SWHouston may have misunderstood you, his point is valid, the only way to get free cable is to steal. If they include a few channels at no extra cost along with internet service, that isn't free cable, it's an additional service at no extra cost. Since Comcast must pay for "real" channels with "real" shows it certainly makes sense that Comcast would charge above the internet rate for "real" channels. Also, it's well within their prerogative to start charging for a service they formerly included at no extra charge.

    I understand the frustration with Comcast, but they are well within their rights. Truely free TV does exist, but it isn't offered by Comcast or any other cable company.

  10. #10
    Jay Farrug
    Guest

    No diferentation from Satelite NOW NO HIGH DEF BOX IS $18 MONTH, OVER AIR ANTNENNA

    For people like me and many others who have several TVs and computers that do not have a coax connection, if you want high def now you will have to pay the additional ~$17 a box, the same as satelite. Since satelite is much cheaper and you have to have an over the air attenna for your other devices and TVs or pay I see much less reason to for pay $250 a month versus satelite. I think the Dish and Direct will see a boom in new Comcast customers once the Comcast customer has HD blocked with a crummy digital box that always breaks. I have had to drive to the Comcast office, wait in line, and return 3 times over the past year. Right now I have 2 digital piece of garbage boxes not working.

    Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
    Not 100% true, no. Rather, like all their competitors, they're going all-digital, which means all subscribers will need a digital tuner, but not necessarily a digital converter box. Those subscribers who have old televisions will be able to use digital converter boxes to bridge that gap in their old equipment.

    They are also eventually going to encrypt everything beyond B1 level service (the local over-the-air broadcast channels) to better secure their service from theft. Consequently, you're going to need a CableCARD-compatible digital tuner to tune in anything beyond B1 level service. Those subscribers who don't have CableCARD-compatible digital tuners will be able to use digital converter boxes to bridge that gap in their equipment.

    If all you're doing is trying to receive B1 level service on additional televisions then the first two DTAs are complementary. As I mentioned earlier, they are also eventually going to encrypt everything beyond B1 level service, and they have already done so in some areas: You'll need digital converter boxes (STBs) or CableCARDs (not just DTAs) for televisions on which you want to receive encrypted cable networks. The first STB is included with your digital package fee. Additional STBs or CableCARDs are available at local rates, ranging from $1.50 to $10, and may be priced either as equipment rentals, mirroring fees, or a combination of both.

  11. #11
    Unregistered
    Guest

    My tv is getting fuzzy, and comcast suggested the digital adapters as a solution. I suppose I have channels 2-99, in that I get both channel 2 and 99, but only a few in between.

  12. #12
    Unregistered
    Guest

    But there is such a thing as free

    People forget that TV is still broadcast over the airways for FREE. Even HD channels. If all you need is basic TV why not get it in HD for free. Just get an antenae for your TV and let your TV tuner do its thing. You aren't required to get cable any more then you are required to get digital radio.
    dkreichen1968 likes this.

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Monument, CO
    Posts
    2,895
    Blog Entries
    5

    There are some areas where you may be limited to pay-TV, but in most areas digital TV makes cable look... well, very, very bad. Yes, unless you have Verizon FiOS, free TV probably looks much better.

    Disclosure: I work indirectly for Verizon FiOS.
    Snappy Dan Reminds You:

    DO NOT install antennas anywhere where they could fall into overhead power lines!!! An antenna falling into power lines may result in electrical shock or death. All outdoor antennas must be grounded in accordance with the National Electrical Code (NEC). Be careful while working on roofs or towers. Always use appropriate safety precautions!!!

  14. #14
    Guest
    Guest

    I have a DVR for my TV in the living room but only a small box from Comcast on the second TV. I have had this service for the opast year and my TVs are both older models. Do I need the converter boxes?

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,260
    Blog Entries
    29

    Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    I have a DVR for my TV in the living room but only a small box from Comcast on the second TV. I have had this service for the opast year and my TVs are both older models. Do I need the converter boxes?
    Are you asking if you need converter boxes in addition to the DVR and your small box on your TVs now? If you are, then the answer is no, because both of those set-top-boxes have tuners that will convert the signal for your older TV to receive.

  16. #16
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1

    Wonder if Comcast would offer any kind of support for the Converter Box or digital tuner. As technology keeps getting better and better, customers will need to ditch their old electronic stuff in order to be compatible with the new ones. In other cases customers have to go with additional equipments like the one in the case of Comcast's converter box. Comcast can promote their new services by introducing free digital boxes. It would also help customers as they are already paying high for their existing services.

  17. #17
    Guest
    Guest

    If I buy one of these Comcast adapters off Ebay, can I hook it up to my TV?

    Thanks!

  18. #18
    Oregon KJ
    Guest

    The told us in Oregon that they would be free. Yeah, there were for a while. Now we all get billed 1.99 per box on top of what we are paying for the service.

  19. #19
    Guest
    Guest

    I have had basic cable from Comcast for the past couple of years because without it we could not get local TV stations. We rarely watch TV. Last week I turned on the TV to find a message from Comcast saying I would need to get a digital converter box in order to receive any content. This box, of course, comes at a cost with a "New Introductory" significantly higher minimum monthly service fee.

    Do you know what date this requirement went into effect?

    I am still being billed at my "basic cable" rate despite the fact that there is no such service available anymore - Comcast knows I have not purchased their new required equipment and therefore can no longer access any Comcast content. I'm wondering if my experience is unique and if I'm crazy to imagine that Comcast billing me for unavailable service is unethical and probably illegal.

  20. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Monument, CO
    Posts
    2,895
    Blog Entries
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    I'm wondering if my experience is unique and if I'm crazy to imagine that Comcast billing me for unavailable service is unethical and probably illegal.
    I'm not totally sure I understand your question. Are you not getting any channels now? If you are still getting your local channels through Comcast, they are still providing you with a service, so there is nothing illegal about what they are doing. Note that if that is the case, that at some point they will stop transmitting the analog signal, and you will lose your channels. If they continue to charge you at that point then you have a case.

    My question to you is: Are you really in an area where you can't get your local stations over the air for free, or did you simply fall victim to the cable company propaganda during the over the air transition to digital broadcasting?

 

 

Quick Reply Quick Reply


Click here to log in

What state is the city of Los Angeles located in? (Answer this question correctly, it is used to stop spammers)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Related Topics and Posts

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 01:04 PM
  2. Political Discussion: Adapters to be required
    By deyoungkr in forum Comcast
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 05:37 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 12:55 PM
  4. Box is not required if you have
    By attagirl in forum All Other Cable and Satellite Providers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 08:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

DTVUSAForum Related Articles and Blog Posts

Join DTVUSAForum

The leading television and technology community discussion site, join today!

DTV USA Forum is the best source of television
and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

Back to top