Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    converter box vs. dish tv


    This is a discussion on converter box vs. dish tv within the Converter Boxes and ATSC Tuners forums, part of the Over-the-Air (Antenna TV) category.

    Results 1 to 9 of 9
    1. #1
      DTVUSA Rookie
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Posts
      1

      Default

      I have dish network on my tv. I also have an antenna for local channels. I hooked up the converter box (antenna in on box, antenna out to dish in, dish out to tv out on back of tv.) The converter box came on and was set up thru the remote (beautiful signal) but the dish would not work. Now the converter box will not come back on either. It says no signal. I have hooked them up as I stated above, I have tried a splitter with & without an A&B outlet on them. I cannot get them to work. I have an antenna wire that goes to the (in) (on either the dish in or box in). There is a (satellite in wire) that hooks to the dish box (besides the in outlet that is also on it). Is there some where that it should be placed besides the satellite in? I have spent hours on this. Can someone please help????

    2. #2
      Administrator
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Phoenix, Arizona
      Posts
      2,268
      Blog Entries
      37

      Default

      This is going to require some clarification only because I think we're going to have to completely redo your connections.

      You do indeed have Dish Network Satellite TV service?

      What model # of Dish Network Set Top Box do you own? It should be something like "722" receiver.

    3. #3
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      Carthage Nc
      Posts
      590

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
      This is going to require some clarification only because I think we're going to have to completely redo your connections.

      You do indeed have Dish Network Satellite TV service?

      What model # of Dish Network Set Top Box do you own? It should be something like "722" receiver.
      here is how this works for me antenna in to antenna in on converter box out to tv on converter box to antenna in on Sat receiver sat coax to sat in on receiver, run out to tv on sat receiver to tv. now when you push the sat tv button on the remote it will switch from sat to antenna. leave tv on channel 3 change channels with remotes for receiver and converter box. This is how mine works with my DTVPAl- plus. the only problem I have with the converter is that the remote for my dish receiver is almost the same for the converter so when I hit the power button it cuts off both devices.

    4. #4
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      Rossmoor, Sunny Southern California
      Posts
      330

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup4christ View Post
      the only problem I have with the converter is that the remote for my dish receiver is almost the same for the converter so when I hit the power button it cuts off both devices.
      That is because your DTVPal box is made by the same manufacturer as your DishTV box. They are pretty much alike internally in some ways.

      Many of these boxes are "quick and dirty" hack-outs of existing satellite and cable boxes. They don't bother to change the remote control codes on most of them, since the manufacturers figure you'll either have the DTV converter box or get a subscription service box, not both. Unfortunately for many of these boxes, they cut out something important, the signal lock system that keeps its hold on a channel, and the processor strength, memory, and power feed to back that up. A very strong rural-strength booster is needed. I have yet to see one strong enough.
      Last edited by divxhacker; 01-08-2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: proofreading cleanup

    5. #5
      DTVUSA Rookie
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Posts
      3

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by divxhacker View Post
      that is because your dtvpal box is made by the same manufacturer as your dishtv box. They are pretty much alike internally in some ways.

      Many of these boxes are "quick and dirty" hack-outs of existing satellite and cable boxes. They don't bother to change the remote control codes on most of them, since the manufacturers figure you'll either have the dtv converter box or get a subscription service box, not both. Unfortunately for many of these boxes, they cut out something important, the signal lock system that keeps its hold on a channel, and the processor strength, memory, and power feed to back that up. A very strong rural-strength booster is needed. I have yet to see one strong enough.

      i recently hooked a dtv converter box up to my tv through my dish 522 receiver. I also have a tv with twin screen feature. When i first hooked them up i could watch both the dish feed and the dtv feeds at the same time. The next morning i had to turn off the dish signle to wath the dtv signle, which is making my twin screen feature useless. I can't figure out why it worked one day and not the next. The dish feed seems to be going both to channel 4 and input 1. Changing the dish to channel 3 doesn't help. Any suggestions?

    6. #6
      Administrator
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Phoenix, Arizona
      Posts
      2,268
      Blog Entries
      37

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by omegatrac View Post
      i recently hooked a dtv converter box up to my tv through my dish 522 receiver. I also have a tv with twin screen feature. When i first hooked them up i could watch both the dish feed and the dtv feeds at the same time. The next morning i had to turn off the dish signle to wath the dtv signle, which is making my twin screen feature useless. I can't figure out why it worked one day and not the next. The dish feed seems to be going both to channel 4 and input 1. Changing the dish to channel 3 doesn't help. Any suggestions?
      Hmm, you haven't modified anything with your setup? How exactly are you connected to the 522? You've got a line running from the converter box output to the 522 input?

    7. #7
      DTVUSA Rookie
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Location
      Dallas TX
      Posts
      1

      Default

      Since this particular forum thread is high on Google's ranking of "hits" for "DTVPal", I figured I'd post the quote below from Consumer Reports' website:

      Several blog posts have indicated there might be some firmware or software issues with Dish's DTVPal DTV converter causing them to malfunction. We contacted the company to see if they were aware of any problems. The company confirmed that a "small minority of boxes" have such issues, and that starting Friday, Aug. 29 [2008], affected consumers can call the toll-free number listed in the manual (1-888-638-9912) to exchange their box for a new one. You'll need to have your receipt handy, and you'll get a new box within 90 days. You'll have to pay for shipping the box back, but there's no additional shipping charges to receive the new one.

      Some readers who are not Dish satellite TV subscribers have also indicated they've had difficulty receiving customer service, as they are prompted for their subscriber account number. Dish says that it is training its customer-service reps to handle issues regardless of whether a DTVPal owner is a Dish subscriber.


      Hope this is helpful to owners of older model TR-40 DTVPal units.

      best regards,
      --Dennis C.

    8. #8
      Contributor
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      2,681
      Blog Entries
      58

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by DennisDallas View Post
      Since this particular forum thread is high on Google's ranking of "hits" for "DTVPal", I figured I'd post the quote below from Consumer Reports' website:

      Several blog posts have indicated there might be some firmware or software issues with Dish's DTVPal DTV converter causing them to malfunction. We contacted the company to see if they were aware of any problems. The company confirmed that a "small minority of boxes" have such issues, and that starting Friday, Aug. 29 [2008], affected consumers can call the toll-free number listed in the manual (1-888-638-9912) to exchange their box for a new one. You'll need to have your receipt handy, and you'll get a new box within 90 days. You'll have to pay for shipping the box back, but there's no additional shipping charges to receive the new one.

      Some readers who are not Dish satellite TV subscribers have also indicated they've had difficulty receiving customer service, as they are prompted for their subscriber account number. Dish says that it is training its customer-service reps to handle issues regardless of whether a DTVPal owner is a Dish subscriber.


      Hope this is helpful to owners of older model TR-40 DTVPal units.

      best regards,
      --Dennis C.
      Is it possible to update the firmware on the TR-40 or DTVPal Plus? I wonder how many boxes this affected.

    9. #9
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      Kamas, Utah
      Posts
      887

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by DennisDallas View Post
      Since this particular forum thread is high on Google's ranking of "hits" for "DTVPal", I figured I'd post the quote below from Consumer Reports' website:

      Several blog posts have indicated there might be some firmware or software issues with Dish's DTVPal DTV converter causing them to malfunction. We contacted the company to see if they were aware of any problems. The company confirmed that a "small minority of boxes" have such issues, and that starting Friday, Aug. 29 [2008], affected consumers can call the toll-free number listed in the manual (1-888-638-9912) to exchange their box for a new one. You'll need to have your receipt handy, and you'll get a new box within 90 days. You'll have to pay for shipping the box back, but there's no additional shipping charges to receive the new one.

      Some readers who are not Dish satellite TV subscribers have also indicated they've had difficulty receiving customer service, as they are prompted for their subscriber account number. Dish says that it is training its customer-service reps to handle issues regardless of whether a DTVPal owner is a Dish subscriber.


      Hope this is helpful to owners of older model TR-40 DTVPal units.

      best regards,
      --Dennis C.
      DennisDallas, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. The issues you refer to are specific to the Dish Network DTVPal DVR and I'm not sure they affect the TR-40 or the Pal Plus. Enjoy the forum.

     

    Related Topics and Posts

    1. Dish Network Dish America Package - How is it?
      By Guest in forum Dish Network
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM
    2. Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-05-2010, 06:32 AM
    3. Replies: 1
      Last Post: 05-04-2010, 05:05 AM

    Quick Reply Quick Reply


    Click here to log in

    George ___________ was the first president of the United States (Answer this question correctly, it is used to stop spammers)

    Tags for this Thread

    Share this Post

    Join DTVUSAForum

    The leading television and technology community discussion site, join today!

    DTV USA Forum is the best source of television
    and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

    Back to top