Aren't satellite company's supposed to cary all local channels?
Subscribe via RSS Feed

Aren't satellite company's supposed to cary all local channels?


This is a discussion on Aren't satellite company's supposed to cary all local channels? within the DirecTV forums, part of the Cable and Satellite Providers category.


Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1

    Aren't satellite company's supposed to cary all local channels?

    I'm subscribed to Directv's local channel service as well as their premium with HD service. On one of our extra TV's we connected a converter box which actually worked great given that we used a pair of bunny ears to connect it. The surprising part was that we were receiving more of our local stations on the converter box than Directv. Why are we not getting the .1, .2, and in some cases .3 with Directv? All indications that I've seen is that the deal with local channels and Directv is that they should be giving all of them to us, not just the main channels.

  2. #2
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA market
    Posts
    625

    It's the same with comcast. They only give you the main networks. In some areas they do have the sub-channels but alot of them don't. You have to use an antenna to get them.

  3. #3
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,857

    The Must-Carry law specifies that each broadcaster can specify one of their signals as their Must-Carry signal.

    Having said that, I think we're now getting all of our local broadcast channels, main signal and sub-channels.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orange Springs, FL
    Posts
    2,253

    Cable legally like you say only had to carry the main.

    But how long will it be before customer demand wants the subs on cable.

    On satellite the way I understand it, is they don't have to carry locals (that part I am sure), but if they carry any locals they must carrying them all, but only the main program.
    The more I understand, the less I know.

    PORK... The Other White Meat....

  5. #5
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    184

    The way cable companies are assholes to customers (rising prices is the #1 reason I switched), I laugh every time customers fight back and make life Hell for them.

  6. #6
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,857

    Quote Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
    Cable legally like you say only had to carry the main. But how long will it be before customer demand wants the subs on cable.
    Well, as I indicated above, apparently that demand is already here, since we've got most if not all of the sub-channels, and have already. Many of them are on our 200-tier.

    Quote Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
    On satellite the way I understand it, is they don't have to carry locals (that part I am sure), but if they carry any locals they must carrying them all, but only the main program.
    I think you're correct, but surely that's so incredibly unfair that that law should be changed. Satellite service should be subject to the same Must-Carry laws as terrestrial services, regardless of the technical limitations they endure. As it is, they are abusing the fact that they do not have to comply with Must-Carry and filling their available bandwidth, instead, with more HD channels, an advantage that they're using as a bludgeon in the marketplace. So essentially, their advantage stems directly from their refusal to voluntarily comply with laws intended to get customers access to the most critical television channels for those customers, as defined by the SEC and the FCC. Ridiculously unfair.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aries View Post
    The way cable companies are assholes to customers (rising prices is the #1 reason I switched)
    Everyone has the right to evaluate for themselves whether cable/satellite is a good value for them or not. Good for you for determining that it isn't a good choice for your and doing without. However, as I respect your evaluation of what's of value to you, I would expect that you respect my evaluation of what's of value to me. Cable prices have not risen any faster than the value being provided to my wife any I.

  7. #7

    Blogger: Orry's Orations

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    On the planet Earth
    Posts
    3,110
    Blog Entries
    276

    You know there are probably two things that need to be done here. First, to complain to our carriers, be it cable or satellite, and say we want the subchannels. Second, we need to talk to the legislature about the 'must carry' law. Were sub channels even a thing when that law was made? Sub channels as I know them are recent, and the must carry law has been around a while, hasn't it? I think it needs a tweak.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orange Springs, FL
    Posts
    2,253

    Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
    I think you're correct, but surely that's so incredibly unfair that that law should be changed. Satellite service should be subject to the same Must-Carry laws as terrestrial services, regardless of the technical limitations they endure. As it is, they are abusing the fact that they do not have to comply with Must-Carry and filling their available bandwidth, instead, with more HD channels, an advantage that they're using as a bludgeon in the marketplace. So essentially, their advantage stems directly from their refusal to voluntarily comply with laws intended to get customers access to the most critical television channels for those customers, as defined by the SEC and the FCC. Ridiculously unfair.
    The must carry not law for satellite goes back to the days of them being fledgling companies with one bird each. There wasn't room. Those days are long gone now.

    Dish network is listening. Dish network recently added Gainesville locals first in SD to get them going about 3 months ago to HD, but no subchannels. The local Cox Cable doesn't carry the subs either. Gainesville is in the 160 to 162 market, so that means Dish is working their way through the lower 100 markets.

    Interesting according to a month old Nielsen report that came out 2 months after Dish went with HD locals, Cox Cable had an all time low market share, in the low 60%. 12% was OTA and the remaining part was mostly Dish, that took customers from both Cox and DirecTV. DirecTV acted as expected, so what? it's a small market, let Dish have it. And Dish too it with slightly lower prices plus locals in HD. So that is happening already without laws.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
    You know there are probably two things that need to be done here. First, to complain to our carriers, be it cable or satellite, and say we want the subchannels. Second, we need to talk to the legislature about the 'must carry' law. Were sub channels even a thing when that law was made? Sub channels as I know them are recent, and the must carry law has been around a while, hasn't it? I think it needs a tweak.
    Adding local subs within spot beams will be the next demand. I am sure just like Dish adding Gainesville Locals as soon as they had the extra capacity due to demand, they may be the one that steps up and leaves DirecTV behind on the smaller markets.

    Another factor is it wasn't until recently that many new sub channels have emerged now as must see by viewers. In the past subs in small markets were actually mains in big markets. So DirecTV and Dish in somewhere like the Orlando Market carries everything (I am in the Orlando DMA but way closer to Gainesville towers) I get off the Gainesville OTA subs, just CW and MyN. Even ION is on OTA as a main in Orlando, along with many Spanish networks on main of digital CA and LP stations.

    The only think Orlando doesn't carry are the PBS subs and some of the newer networks like ThisTV, RTN, etc. Now I would love to be able to see them. But I am double out of luck. I can't see UHF from Jacksonville or Orlando, and barely VHF out of Jacksonville. To boot the ION in Jax is up in Brunswick GA. Works for them but not me.

    We have an analog CA on the air now that stands a chance of becoming digital with some of those channels. But it's years down the road.
    The more I understand, the less I know.

    PORK... The Other White Meat....

  9. #9
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,857

    Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
    Were sub channels even a thing when that law was made?
    Yes. The law explicitly specifies that stations with multiple signals may designate one of them as the Must-Carry signal. The flexibility was deliberate, a reflection of balance between consumerist and business considerations.

  10. #10
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,857

    Quote Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
    The must carry not law for satellite goes back to the days of them being fledgling companies with one bird each. There wasn't room. Those days are long gone now.
    The Must-Carry law we're discussing applies to terrestrial service providers. Only they are actually compelled to carry local broadcast channels for every locality within they offer service.

    There is a new Must-Carry law applicable to satellite, adopted in 2000. It actually is more like "Must-Carry If" since, unlike cable companies, satellite providers are not required to carry any local broadcast channels whatsoever, for a locality within which they offer service, if they so choose.
    Last edited by bicker; 06-27-2009 at 03:19 PM.

 

 

Quick Reply Quick Reply


Click here to log in

George ___________ was the first president of the United States (Answer this question correctly, it is used to stop spammers)

Related Topics and Posts

  1. Converter Box for local channels - Converter Boxes and ATSC Tuners Forum
  2. Where can I find the channels I'm supposed to get with the converter box? - Converter Boxes and ATSC Tuners Forum

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Share this Post



Join DTVUSAForum

The leading television and technology community discussion site, join today!

DTV USA Forum is the best source of television
and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

Back to top