DVR reciever and OTA Programs
Subscribe via RSS Feed

DVR reciever and OTA Programs


This is a discussion on DVR reciever and OTA Programs within the Dish Network forums, part of the Cable and Satellite Providers category.

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Carthage Nc
    Posts
    590

    DVR reciever and OTA Programs

    Ok gotta question is there a way to record OTA received through a converter box to a dish network dvr receiver If I drop my local from dish network I can't get them to record on my DVR

  2. #2
    DTVUSA Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19

    I think this is a question that you are going to need to ask the Satellite company.I know things like this can be touchy but I am sure that it can be handled.

  3. #3
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,665
    Blog Entries
    57

    I wonder if there's an easier way to record to a PC. I doubt Dish Network would be cooperative on this.

  4. #4
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Zip 61231
    Posts
    45

    I do not subscribe to DISH locals. I do have a 622DVR with an antenna input. I use a manual timer for recording. There is no guide for my channels. No need for a convertor box either. Menu 6 - 9- Scan locals. I use a zap2it website for program info. Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orange Springs, FL
    Posts
    2,253

    There was a lot of discussion about this very thing with Dish DVRs and Tivo DVRs in the Gainesville FL local thread on AVS you could scan or join AVS and post there. Mahy were in on the discussion (I wasn't) but one fellow Nobleach has straight up answers on stuff like that. I do remember some of them work if you use the timer, and it seems someone had problems with some model because they didn't get the guide not subscribing. I think there final solution too was timed recording.
    The more I understand, the less I know.

    PORK... The Other White Meat....

  6. #6
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,473

    I don't understand the question. when i had Dish they gave you locals for free. so why drop them in the first place? second i don't think the DVR has an A/V in to facilitate a converter box, only A/V out. seems if they did have A/V inputs the DVR-capability would be exploited without benefit to Dish, who truly owns the receivers and rents them to the user. so i doubt they'd let you record from any input, much less a converter box. otherwise you'd have people recording their PC data to it and using it with their TV and many other exploits. i think it would also violate Dish Network terms, customer or not.

  7. #7
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kamas, Utah
    Posts
    887

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup4christ View Post
    Ok gotta question is there a way to record OTA received through a converter box to a dish network dvr receiver If I drop my local from dish network I can't get them to record on my DVR
    I believe you could continue to use a DirecTV DVR without subscribing to their service and I think there are a couple of the old SD Dish Network DVRs that will continue to work without subscribing to their service as well.

    From spokybob's post it appears the answer is yes. You'll just need to make sure you have the Dish Network 622DVR receiver or similar.

  8. #8
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,473

    Every time i tried to put an old non-activated DVR receiver up soon as it got its satellites it would lock me out. as in no program guide, and no TV, not even local, no input, and a screen ordering me to phone Dish Network. when and or how did you get them to work with OTA?

    If that's possible now i'll pick up one second-hand and use my converter with it; would be cheaper than the DTVPal DVR.

  9. #9
    The Mod Squad
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Poinciana Place, FL
    Posts
    530

    It is my understanding that if you do subscribe to Dish without locals and you have a ViP series DVR, you can scan for locals OTA and get whatever is out there but..

    NO PROGRAM GUIDE LISTINGS

    So here you have to manually enter what you want to record.

    If you don't subscribe to anything, forget about it. It won't work at all. You will just be stuck at the set up / actiavte screen.

    spokybob has it right.

    Once you show has recorded you may add a title for it at that time.

  10. #10
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kamas, Utah
    Posts
    887

    Quote Originally Posted by Yes616 View Post
    It is my understanding that if you do subscribe to Dish without locals and you have a ViP series DVR, you can scan for locals OTA and get whatever is out there but..

    NO PROGRAM GUIDE LISTINGS

    So here you have to manually enter what you want to record.

    If you don't subscribe to anything, forget about it. It won't work at all. You will just be stuck at the set up / actiavte screen.

    spokybob has it right.

    Once you show has recorded you may add a title for it at that time.
    I think spokybob wrote, he doesn't subscribe to Dish, but he is able to record the locals. He uses zap2it for program schedule info to use his unactivated dish 622DVR for recording the programs.

  11. #11
    The Mod Squad
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Poinciana Place, FL
    Posts
    530

    Quote Originally Posted by spokybob View Post
    I do not subscribe to DISH locals. I do have a 622DVR with an antenna input. I use a manual timer for recording. There is no guide for my channels. No need for a convertor box either. Menu 6 - 9- Scan locals. I use a zap2it website for program info. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1inxs View Post
    I think spokybob wrote, he doesn't subscribe to Dish, but he is able to record the locals. He uses zap2it for program schedule info to use his unactivated dish 622DVR for recording the programs.
    It looks to me that spokybob does subscribe to Dish but not the locals. That is the way I read his comment.

    Only he can clear this up.

  12. #12
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Zip 61231
    Posts
    45

    Quote Originally Posted by Yes616 View Post
    It looks to me that spokybob does subscribe to Dish but not the locals. That is the way I read his comment.

    Only he can clear this up.
    Correct. I pay DISH a lot of money every month. But I do not subscribe to their locals. That would cost me another 5 and their locals are NOT HD yet. When the DISH locals are offered in HiDef, I may subscribe on a trial basis. That would give me the option of recording two local programs at the same time. (I think).

    At the present time, I can record a local OTA program, then use an indoor antenna hooked to my HDTV antenna1 connection to watch another OTA. See the attachment pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVR reciever and OTA Programs-finaldesign1.jpg  

  13. #13
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    2,261
    Blog Entries
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by spokybob View Post
    Correct. I pay DISH a lot of money every month. But I do not subscribe to their locals. That would cost me another 5 and their locals are NOT HD yet. When the DISH locals are offered in HiDef, I may subscribe on a trial basis. That would give me the option of recording two local programs at the same time. (I think).

    At the present time, I can record a local OTA program, then use an indoor antenna hooked to my HDTV antenna1 connection to watch another OTA. See the attachment pic.
    $5/month and no HD would be a tough sell for me too. For that price you ought to get subchannels too.

    btw, what was the answer to the WOF puzzle?

  14. #14
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kamas, Utah
    Posts
    887

    Quote Originally Posted by spokybob View Post
    Correct. I pay DISH a lot of money every month. But I do not subscribe to their locals. That would cost me another 5 and their locals are NOT HD yet. When the DISH locals are offered in HiDef, I may subscribe on a trial basis. That would give me the option of recording two local programs at the same time. (I think).

    At the present time, I can record a local OTA program, then use an indoor antenna hooked to my HDTV antenna1 connection to watch another OTA. See the attachment pic.
    spokybob, Thanks for clarifying that point.

  15. #15
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,473

    Must've changed policies. whenever i had Dish they gave you the locals for free(on plans starting at $39/mo). before then people found ways of using an OTA antenna on the 'Cable/Ant' port on the receiver and had it 'pass-through' the receiver by turning it off.

  16. #16
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Zip 61231
    Posts
    45

    It was a prize puzzle.
    hIStoRIc pubS AND INNS
    EDIT:
    Here is the $5.00 link
    https://customersupport.dishnetwork....prepAddress.do
    Last edited by spokybob; 07-15-2009 at 12:43 PM.

  17. #17
    The Mod Squad
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Poinciana Place, FL
    Posts
    530

    Quote Originally Posted by spokybob View Post
    Correct. I pay DISH a lot of money every month. But I do not subscribe to their locals. That would cost me another 5 and their locals are NOT HD yet. When the DISH locals are offered in HiDef, I may subscribe on a trial basis. That would give me the option of recording two local programs at the same time. (I think).

    At the present time, I can record a local OTA program, then use an indoor antenna hooked to my HDTV antenna1 connection to watch another OTA. See the attachment pic.
    Food for thought.

    Even though Dish doesn't give you your HD locals, if you did pay the extra $5 for locals, you would get all the digital channels show up in your program guide. That OTA tuner also counts as another tuner within a tuner so if you have a dual tuner ViP722, for example, you could record 3 shows all at the same time. 2 via Dish and 1 OTA. Or just watch one and record two in any combination I just mentioned. I can even get program guide info for channels from another DMA that I can receive OTA. Yes it's kind of like just paying $5 for the OTA info in this case.

 

Quick Reply Quick Reply


Click here to log in

George ___________ was the first president of the United States (Answer this question correctly, it is used to stop spammers)

Tags for this Thread

Share this Post

Join DTVUSAForum

The leading television and technology community discussion site, join today!

DTV USA Forum is the best source of television
and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

Back to top