Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    ATSC vs NTSC vs QAM Tuner


    This is a discussion on ATSC vs NTSC vs QAM Tuner within the DTV | HDTV Chat forums, part of the Over-the-Air (Antenna TV) category.

    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. #1
      Administrator
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Phoenix, Arizona
      Posts
      2,268
      Blog Entries
      37

      Default

      The following definitions will hopefully clear up the any questions you may have about ATSC, NTSC, and QAM.

      NTSC (National Television System Committee) - Old analog broadcast format orginally developed in 1941 and modified in 1953 for color. TVs that receive TV signals over-the-air built with NTSC tuners will require a digital-to-analog converter box to continue viewing television signals after the digital transition. Read more about NTSC at Wikipedia

      ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) - Digital television format defined by Advanced Television Systems Committee which will be replacing NTSC (analog) broadcasts on June 12, 2009. The switch from analog to ATSC is also known as the Digital Transition. TVs with a built-in ATSC tuner will not require a digital converter box, and may even be capable of receiving and displaying High Definition programming. Read more about ATSC at Wikipedia.

      QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) Tuner - For use with subscribed television services to a cable company. TVs or set top boxes with a built-in QAM tuner are capable of receiving high definition cable programming of local channels without a cable set top box. Read more about QAM at Wikipedia.



      Please use this thread to discuss any questions, comments, or anything related to the ATSC format, NTSC format, or QAM Tuners. Please post if you would like to add any additional information that I may have missed.
      Fringe Reception likes this.

    2. #2
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Posts
      1,857

      Default

      A clarification regarding ATSC. ATSC is actually the name of the committee, as you pointed out. The format is actually 8VSB, and you'll see it referred to as such in some of the geekier forums on the Internet.
      Jason Fritz likes this.

    3. #3
      Administrator
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Phoenix, Arizona
      Posts
      2,268
      Thread Starter
      Blog Entries
      37

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
      A clarification regarding ATSC. ATSC is actually the name of the committee, as you pointed out. The format is actually 8VSB, and you'll see it referred to as such in some of the geekier forums on the Internet.
      Technically, ATSC signals can be received in 8VSB or QAM modulation (though we are talking about over-the-air here), but I've modified the definition that the format is defined by the ATSC.

    4. #4
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Posts
      1,857

      Default

      Yup, exactly; the formats are 8VSB and QAM.

    5. #5
      Contributor
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      2,681
      Blog Entries
      58

      Default

      ATSC is more of a standard than a format isn't it?

    6. #6
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Posts
      316
      Blog Entries
      1

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Aaron62 View Post
      ATSC is more of a standard than a format isn't it?
      Standards, formats, you can call it either or.

    7. #7
      DTVUSA Rookie
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Posts
      1

      Question

      Ntsc/Atsc/8VSB/QAM - allot of diffrent names and signal types. What is the answer to gettingone set top box that can process NTSC and 8VSB signals in a Rack system environment? We have 14 different types of TV's all capable of processing DTV signals BUT.. each has to be manually switched between cable and antenna modes to view either Satellite or TV signals.
      We are a campus and we don't want to try and TRAIN everyone on the 14 different remote operations to change inputs.

      We have 6 satellite channels in the NTSC format and 13 Local channels in the 8VSB format.

      Any suggestions?

    8. #8
      DTVUSA Rookie
      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1

      Default

      i just read your post from april - did you find a solution yet? I work for an AV systems integrator; we are using the ZeeVee 280 modulators for a customer with the exact same problem as you have; they may be a good fit for you. reply back if you still need help

      Quote Originally Posted by yafari1064 View Post
      Ntsc/Atsc/8VSB/QAM - allot of diffrent names and signal types. What is the answer to gettingone set top box that can process NTSC and 8VSB signals in a Rack system environment? We have 14 different types of TV's all capable of processing DTV signals BUT.. each has to be manually switched between cable and antenna modes to view either Satellite or TV signals.
      We are a campus and we don't want to try and TRAIN everyone on the 14 different remote operations to change inputs.

      We have 6 satellite channels in the NTSC format and 13 Local channels in the 8VSB format.

      Any suggestions?
      Jason Fritz likes this.

    9. #9
      Guest
      Guest

      Default

      I am looking at two samsung tv's one says the tuner is ATSC/Clear QAM and the other says it is DTV and Anolog. Are they the same and just two ways of saying the same or are they different and if so does one have an advantage over the other?

      Thanks

    10. #10
      Moderator
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Monument, CO
      Posts
      3,022
      Blog Entries
      5

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
      I am looking at two samsung tv's one says the tuner is ATSC/Clear QAM and the other says it is DTV and Anolog. Are they the same and just two ways of saying the same or are they different and if so does one have an advantage over the other?
      ATSC/Clear QAM = Digital over the air and unencrypted digital cable (unencrypted digital cable will probably not be around much longer for most cable customers due to the fact that the rules enabling the encryption of all digital cable channels just went into effect). DTV and analog, I assume, means ATSC, clear QAM, and analog. I doubt there will be any analog signals (apart from some really hick cable systems) past about 2015.

      Antennas still rule!!!
      Snappy Dan Reminds You:

      DO NOT install antennas anywhere where they could fall into overhead power lines!!! An antenna falling into power lines may result in electrical shock or death. All outdoor antennas must be grounded in accordance with the National Electrical Code (NEC). Be careful while working on roofs or towers. Always use appropriate safety precautions!!!

    11. #11
      Moderator
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Wantage NJ
      Posts
      1,619

      Default

      I get the impression that some cable companies keep analog as a differentiator between them and the satellite companies.

      There's not a lot of HD channel addition going on anyway and cable internet DOCSIS 3 seems to be plateauing, which probably won't mean a lot more channels being used for data.

      On the flip side, going all digital will allow them to charge per TV and rake in the stb rental fees too.
      Ryan, N2RJ

      Extra class certified antenna NUT

     

    Quick Reply Quick Reply


    Click here to log in

    George ___________ was the first president of the United States (Answer this question correctly, it is used to stop spammers)

    Tags for this Thread

    Share this Post

    Join DTVUSAForum

    The leading television and technology community discussion site, join today!

    DTV USA Forum is the best source of television
    and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

    Back to top