Please help me make my HD ready tv HD
Subscribe via RSS Feed

Please help me make my HD ready tv HD


This is a discussion on Please help me make my HD ready tv HD within the DTV | HDTV Chat forums, part of the Over-the-Air (Antenna TV) category.

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    DTVUSA Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7

    Please help me make my HD ready tv HD

    Hello,

    I have a 55" ws projection TV that I bought 4 years ago... (WS-55315)

    I have been trying to get help thru the mfg to be able to keep the digital signal with the tuner they suggested in the owner's manual the HD-5000. After 2 weeks of phone calls I now know they no longer make it and I should go with converter box, satelite or cable.

    I have ordered a Digital Atsc Tv Box VGA Digital HDtv Tuner Receiver, after reading the manual I now need a vga adapter for my TV...

    Can anyone make some recommendations? I feel like the more I try the more loop-holes I run into.


    Thanks,
    T

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    2,263
    Blog Entries
    37

    The owners manual suggesting a digital tuner - receiver that I assume is external? This information might be slightly out of date. Does it give a part number?

    There are many external ATSC HD tuners on the market for $100 or less that can connect to one of three available component-video inputs on your TV to provide 1080i - High Definition picture viewing. Might be something you want to think about...and welcome to the forum.

  3. #3
    DTVUSA Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The owners manual suggesting a digital tuner - receiver that I assume is external? This information might be slightly out of date. Does it give a part number?

    There are many external ATSC HD tuners on the market for $100 or less that can connect to one of three available component-video inputs on your TV to provide 1080i - High Definition picture viewing. Might be something you want to think about...and welcome to the forum.
    Hi Jay, thanks!

    Yes, that is what prompted my phone call to the mfg... They said the "proprietary connection" to use with a unit HD-5000. They state this unit is no longer manufactured.

    That is why I purcahsed the unit stated above... Only later to relize that I will need to get a vga adapter? Is this going to be okay and where would I find something decent?

    Cheers,
    T

  4. #4
    O-O
    O-O is offline
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    553
    Blog Entries
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by xXTroubleXx View Post
    Hi Jay, thanks!

    Yes, that is what prompted my phone call to the mfg... They said the "proprietary connection" to use with a unit HD-5000. They state this unit is no longer manufactured.

    That is why I purcahsed the unit stated above... Only later to relize that I will need to get a vga adapter? Is this going to be okay and where would I find something decent?

    Cheers,
    T
    Hope you don't mind me looking up the specs here, your TV has the following inputs



    * Connector Type 1 x Composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 )
    - Front , 1 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) -
    Front , 2 x RF input ( F connector ) -
    Rear , 1 x RF output ( F connector ) -
    Rear , 2 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) -
    Rear , 2 x Composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) -
    Rear , 1 x Composite video/audio output ( RCA phono x 3 ) -
    Rear , 2 x Component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) -
    Rear , 1 x HD component video / RGB input ( RCA phono x 5 ) -
    Rear , 1 x Serial ( 9 pin D-Sub ) -
    Rear , 1 x DVI-HDCP -
    Rear , 4 x Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - Rear

    Have you ordered that ATSC tuner already? Does it only have the single VGA output? You will need a VGA to DVI adapter if then.

  5. #5
    DTVUSA Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by O-O View Post
    Hope you don't mind me looking up the specs here, your TV has the following inputs



    * Connector Type 1 x Composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 )
    - Front , 1 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) -
    Front , 2 x RF input ( F connector ) -
    Rear , 1 x RF output ( F connector ) -
    Rear , 2 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) -
    Rear , 2 x Composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) -
    Rear , 1 x Composite video/audio output ( RCA phono x 3 ) -
    Rear , 2 x Component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) -
    Rear , 1 x HD component video / RGB input ( RCA phono x 5 ) -
    Rear , 1 x Serial ( 9 pin D-Sub ) -
    Rear , 1 x DVI-HDCP -
    Rear , 4 x Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - Rear

    Have you ordered that ATSC tuner already? Does it only have the single VGA output? You will need a VGA to DVI adapter if then.
    I just got the box in my hand 1 min ago... Looks like there are component connections and the VGA connection...

    I am assuming now that I can use the component "Y, pb, pr" connections and it will work fine?

    Thanks,
    T

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orange Springs, FL
    Posts
    2,253

    Quote Originally Posted by xXTroubleXx View Post
    I just got the box in my hand 1 min ago... Looks like there are component connections and the VGA connection...

    I am assuming now that I can use the component "Y, pb, pr" connections and it will work fine?

    Thanks,
    T
    There is a good chance the Component will look as good as a VGA to DVI conversion since the tuner is putting out analog video in either situation.
    The more I understand, the less I know.

    PORK... The Other White Meat....

  7. #7
    DTVUSA Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
    There is a good chance the Component will look as good as a VGA to DVI conversion since the tuner is putting out analog video in either situation.
    What the heck? I bought this to make my "HD Ready" TV recieve the "Digital" signal and provide a HD picture.

    What exactly am I looking for if it isn't this unit? I think I just spent $70 on something that isn't going to do what I want it to do.

  8. #8
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,665
    Blog Entries
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
    There is a good chance the Component will look as good as a VGA to DVI conversion since the tuner is putting out analog video in either situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by xXTroubleXx View Post
    What the heck? I bought this to make my "HD Ready" TV recieve the "Digital" signal and provide a HD picture.

    What exactly am I looking for if it isn't this unit? I think I just spent $70 on something that isn't going to do what I want it to do.
    Piggie, I think he has Digital Component output on his ATSC tuner. Digital component video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, although many TVs do not support 1080p through component video.
    @xXTroubleXx: If you want, give us your ATSC tuner's model #?

  9. #9
    DTVUSA Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron62 View Post
    @xXTroubleXx: If you want, give us your ATSC tuner's model #?
    Sure, it is the SA290-Q LE

    The only thing that scared me about it is that the box states: "Watch Digital ATSC TV in HD Format"

    So I donno if they are stating that I'll be watching an analog signal at 1080i or if it will be digital...

  10. #10
    DTVUSA Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7
    Thread Starter

    bumpy bump bump

  11. #11
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,665
    Blog Entries
    57

    It's a 1080i output. You'll get HD.

    Transform your monitor into a television or give your old NTSC a new lease on life with the Kworld SA290-Q LE external TVBox. This external tuner turns your display into a digital television as it receives both the new over-the-air broadcast digital High Definition video as well as being able to display unencrypted digital cable signals without a set-top box. No computer is required to view images in up to 1080i resolution in 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 aspect ratios.
    You have to use the YPbPr Output for HD though.

  12. #12
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kamas, Utah
    Posts
    887

    Quote Originally Posted by xXTroubleXx View Post
    Sure, it is the SA290-Q LE

    The only thing that scared me about it is that the box states: "Watch Digital ATSC TV in HD Format"

    So I donno if they are stating that I'll be watching an analog signal at 1080i or if it will be digital...
    You just need to connect to your HD Monitor using a component to DVI cable and you'll get 1080i OTA DTV.

  13. #13
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Carthage Nc
    Posts
    590

    I would try the component cables and see how it works if not then order the vga/dvi cable through cables to go.

  14. #14
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,665
    Blog Entries
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inxs View Post
    You just need to connect to your HD Monitor using a component to DVI cable and you'll get 1080i OTA DTV.
    Why would he need to do that if component cables deliver 1080i just finefrom the converter to his TV with 3 Component (YPbPr) inputs?

  15. #15
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kamas, Utah
    Posts
    887

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron62 View Post
    Why would he need to do that if component cables deliver 1080i just finefrom the converter to his TV with 3 Component (YPbPr) inputs?
    My Bad! I thought his TV only had the DVI for input. I now realize it has 3 sets of component in. I would definitely recommend connecting with component cable. Then he'll get the 1080i.

  16. #16
    DTVUSA Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7
    Thread Starter

    Thanks all for the help! Will try it out soon!

 

Related Topics and Posts

  1. Free tv could make a comeback - DTV | HDTV Chat Forum
  2. HD Ready TV - DTV | HDTV Chat Forum
  3. Is your TV DTV ready (already)? - DTV | HDTV Chat Forum

Quick Reply Quick Reply


Click here to log in

George ___________ was the first president of the United States (Answer this question correctly, it is used to stop spammers)

Tags for this Thread

Share this Post

Join DTVUSAForum

The leading television and technology community discussion site, join today!

DTV USA Forum is the best source of television
and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

Back to top