Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Homeworx PVR with hdmi


    This is a discussion on Homeworx PVR with hdmi within the DTV | HDTV Reception and Antenna Discussion forums, part of the Over-the-Air (Antenna TV) category.

    Results 1 to 18 of 18
    1. #1
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      43

      Default

      Has anyone tried this out yet? If it works well at this price, it could be huge.

      Amazon.com: HomeWorx HW-150PVR ATSC Digital TV Converter Box w/ Media Player & Recording PVR Function / HDMI Out: Electronics

      http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewforum.php?f=44

      This looks likes the same box, but with clear QAM support,

      http://www.amazon.com/iView-3500STB-...pr_product_top

      The features look perfect, but, I'm mainly interested in knowing the quality of the atsc tuner.
      Last edited by garyh; 07-27-2013 at 05:18 AM.

    2. #2
      Moderator
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Monument, CO
      Posts
      3,015
      Blog Entries
      5

      Default

      MrPogi and I have the iView 3500STB's and MrPogi just purchased a HomeWorx HW-150PVR. They are very similar boxes, but the iView 3500 STB's firmware has serious problems. The HW-150PVR has new firmware which fixes most of the major problems. You can use the HomeWorks firmware with the iView, but The QAM goes away and you have to use a HomeWorx remote or a learning remote.
      Snappy Dan Reminds You:

      DO NOT install antennas anywhere where they could fall into overhead power lines!!! An antenna falling into power lines may result in electrical shock or death. All outdoor antennas must be grounded in accordance with the National Electrical Code (NEC). Be careful while working on roofs or towers. Always use appropriate safety precautions!!!

    3. #3
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      43
      Thread Starter

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post
      MrPogi and I have the iView 3500STB's and MrPogi just purchased a HomeWorx HW-150PVR. They are very similar boxes, but the iView 3500 STB's firmware has serious problems. The HW-150PVR has new firmware which fixes most of the major problems. You can use the HomeWorks firmware with the iView, but The QAM goes away and you have to use a HomeWorx remote or a learning remote.
      Can you comment on the tuner vs a tv tuner?

      This design seems so obvious. With a market potential of perhaps 10 to 50 million cable cutters I'm surprised I don't see more of these types of devices. Like this functionality built right into my Roku.

    4. #4
      Moderator

      Webmaster of Cache Free TV

      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Location
      Logan, UT
      Posts
      4,031
      Blog Entries
      30

      Default

      The tuner is not quite as sensitive as my TV sets and converter boxes, but not by much.

      I can tell you that the HomeWorx HW-150PVR unit functions as it should, for the most part. Stay away from the iview 3500STB until they fix the firmware. The HW-150 PVR has its quirks, like no "weekday" scheduling, only "daily" and "weekly", EPG is from PSIP, etc. And as Dan said, the iview can be flashed with the HomeWorx firmware, but you will need the HomeWorx remote ($8 from the HomeWorx website), the QAM tuner will be disabled as well as the rudimentary games, and the front panel display and buttons except for the power button won't work.

      You will need to update the HomeWorx unit with the latest v10 firmware.

    5. #5
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      43
      Thread Starter

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by MrPogi View Post
      The tuner is not quite as sensitive as my TV sets and converter boxes, but not by much.

      I can tell you that the HomeWorx HW-150PVR unit functions as it should, for the most part. Stay away from the iview 3500STB until they fix the firmware. The HW-150 PVR has its quirks, like no "weekday" scheduling, only "daily" and "weekly", EPG is from PSIP, etc. And as Dan said, the iview can be flashed with the HomeWorx firmware, but you will need the HomeWorx remote ($8 from the HomeWorx website), the QAM tuner will be disabled as well as the rudimentary games, and the front panel display and buttons except for the power button won't work.

      You will need to update the HomeWorx unit with the latest v10 firmware.
      Well, I can only say this box is awesome. $44 well spent. The tuner shows less signal strength than my year old 55 inch LED Panasonic. But it holds the channels much better. In particular, CBS never experiences the 1 second blackouts that have always occurred with the panny tuner. DVR function and picture quality are nearly flawless. My only issue is that volume level seems to be less than the Panasonic gets when tuning directly from the antenna.

      I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase.

    6. #6
      Moderator

      Webmaster of Cache Free TV

      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Location
      Logan, UT
      Posts
      4,031
      Blog Entries
      30

      Default

      It's not just a cheap PVR, it's an adventure!
      (And maybe someday all the bugs will be worked out of it!)

    7. #7
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      43
      Thread Starter

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by MrPogi View Post
      It's not just a cheap PVR, it's an adventure!
      (And maybe someday all the bugs will be worked out of it!)
      One feature I really like is just hitting info twice on the remote gives you the signal quality meter. Discovered that one by accident, since the manual makes no mention of that function.

    8. #8
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      43
      Thread Starter

      Default

      I would like to see the ability to start watching a recorded show before the recording is done. Seems like that should be possible in a single tuner device.

    9. #9
      Contributor
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Posts
      1,899
      Blog Entries
      10

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by MrPogi View Post
      It's not just a cheap PVR, it's an adventure!
      (And maybe someday all the bugs will be worked out of it!)
      C'mon, let's not get CRAZY! They don't have all the bugs out of Win XP, and it's been out OVER 10 YEARS. They're going to discontinue what has passed for "support" early next year.

      Rick

    10. #10
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      43
      Thread Starter

      Default

      Yeah, I haven't really seen anything I would call a "bug" yet. Some of the features could be made more friendly, but all in all, this box is exactly what I had been looking for, and the fact that it's tuner works better for me than the one in my year old Panasonic, is the bonus I wasn't expecting.

    11. #11
      Moderator

      Webmaster of Cache Free TV

      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Location
      Logan, UT
      Posts
      4,031
      Blog Entries
      30

      Default

      You'll find the bugs as you use it more and push it harder. But compare it to any other PVR in its price range - there are none.

    12. #12
      Guest
      Guest

      Default

      How does Homeworx compare to Hauppauge PVR?

    13. #13
      Guest
      Guest

      Default

      If Hauppage makes a PVR with an ATSC tuner, I'm unaware of it. Certainly not for under $50. Why not just buy the HomeWorx and try it - at that price, it's less than a tank of gas.
      Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
      How does Homeworx compare to Hauppauge PVR?

    14. #14
      Guest
      Guest

      Default

      "you will need to update the HomeWorx unit with the latest v10 firmware." NOT for newer units - see the HomeWorx home page.

    15. #15
      Guest
      Guest

      Default

      I believe I have successfully started watching a recorded show from the beginning before the recording is done. I don't recall if the recording was started by a timer event OR if I hit record when the show started. I believe it was probably the latter case. While the show is still recording, hit Pause and then Rewind to the beginning. I also seem to remember discovering if I hit Play while the show was recording that it automatically jumped back the beginning and started to play back the show being recorded.

    16. #16
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      43
      Thread Starter

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
      I believe I have successfully started watching a recorded show from the beginning before the recording is done. I don't recall if the recording was started by a timer event OR if I hit record when the show started. I believe it was probably the latter case. While the show is still recording, hit Pause and then Rewind to the beginning. I also seem to remember discovering if I hit Play while the show was recording that it automatically jumped back the beginning and started to play back the show being recorded.
      Interesting. Can anyone confirm this? I don't have access to mine for a few months. Perhaps the mediasonic moderator can confirm these important operations.

    17. #17
      Guest
      Guest

      Default

      I am trying to find updates for the homeworx HW-150VR can someone please tell me where I can find (go) to download

    18. #18
      Moderator

      Webmaster of Cache Free TV

      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Location
      Logan, UT
      Posts
      4,031
      Blog Entries
      30

      Default

      HomeWorx posts updates on their forum. Unfortunately, the forum is down at this time. Mediasonic Forum • Information reports:
      Sorry we are doing updates to the Forum, if you need support during this time, please email rma_east AT mediasonic.ca
      For more info about whether your PVR needs an update, see here. This box is similar to several other brands, but the firmware is NOT interchangeable.

     

    Related Topics and Posts

    1. HomeWorx HW110AN HDTV Digital Flat Antenna UHF / VHF for $5?
      By Unregistered in forum DTV | HDTV Reception and Antenna Discussion
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-13-2013, 08:14 PM
    2. Question: problems with HDMI
      By scandiskwindows9x in forum Converter Boxes and ATSC Tuners
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 03-01-2011, 12:43 PM
    3. Which is better for PC to TV: HDMI or VGA?
      By UltimateOne in forum DTV | HDTV Chat
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 02-14-2010, 01:56 AM
    4. HDMI switch that converts HDMI to IP?
      By O-O in forum DTV | HDTV Chat
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 09-16-2009, 05:45 PM
    5. DVI to HDMI connection Is it ok?
      By Maxter in forum Comcast
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 05-22-2009, 01:44 PM

    Quick Reply Quick Reply


    Click here to log in

    What state is the city of Los Angeles located in? (Answer this question correctly, it is used to stop spammers)

    Share this Post

    Join DTVUSAForum

    The leading television and technology community discussion site, join today!

    DTV USA Forum is the best source of television
    and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

    Back to top