Can't get some major stations
Subscribe via RSS Feed

Can't get some major stations


This is a discussion on Can't get some major stations within the DTV | HDTV Reception and Antenna Discussion forums, part of the Over-the-Air (Antenna TV) category.

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3

    Can't get some major stations

    I bought a zenith dtv converter to use with my attic antenna.
    I live in southern california and I was getting good reception for most DTV Channels in California. Now, with digital tv I can't get ABC or one of the Fox stations (channel 13 in this area). Both come in great in analog, but both have "no signal" for digital.

    Is this due to them sending out a weak signal?

    I am at the top of a hill and have no obstructions that would block a digital signal.

    I sent email to both stations but they won't answer.
    I sent email to the FCC and they don't answer either.


    I don't know why I should be forced to spend the extra money for cable or satellite when I was happy with what I had.

    I do get UHF stations that I never saw before, and CBS comes in better in digital than analog.

  2. #2
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Carthage Nc
    Posts
    590

    Quote Originally Posted by DTVCorona View Post
    I bought a zenith dtv converter to use with my attic antenna.
    I live in southern california and I was getting good reception for most channels. Now, with digital tv I can't get ABC or one of the Fox stations (channel 13 in this area). Both come in great in analog, but both have "no signal" for digital.

    Is this due to them sending out a weak signal?

    I am at the top of a hill and have no obstructions that would block a digital signal.

    I sent email to both stations but they won't answer.
    I sent email to the FCC and they don't answer either.


    I don't know why I should be forced to spend the extra money for cable or satellite when I was happy with what I had.

    I do get UHF stations that I never saw before, and CBS comes in better in digital than analog.
    it could be that the digital signal being uhf is weaker than the analog. the antenna in the attic cuts it signal gathering capacity by 50% so any drop in signal by the transmitter would be seen. where are the stations how far are they are they in the same direction or in opposite directions. give me your zip and I can look it up on tv fool and make a better guess it could be conflicting signals.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,260
    Blog Entries
    29

    DTVCorona,
    where exactly are you at? Here are the DTV channel listings for Los Angeles.

    Stations/Channel
    ABC (KABC) 53
    KCAL 43
    CBS (KCBS) 60
    KCET 59
    KCOP 66
    KLCS 41
    KMEX 35
    NBC (KNBC) 36
    KTLA 31
    KTTV 65
    KWHY 42

    If you are in LA, which of the above stations are you missing?

  4. #4
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thread Starter

    Can't get some major stations

    Actually, I live in Riverside california - zip code 92882
    None of those DTV channels are familar to me
    When I got the converter box I ran the set up to find all of the signals it could.

    I can not get KABC or KCOP
    I don't know of any DTV channel for them, only the VHF channels
    KABC is 7 and KCOP is 13.

    Both come in strong in analog.

  5. #5
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thread Starter

    My zip code is 92882.
    I thought all of the major stations were using Mt. Baldy to send their signals to LA and surrounding areas?

  6. #6
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    2

    Problems with ABC 7 and Kcop 13

    I also am having the same problem with ch 7 and ch 13.
    I also have a Zenith box and live in Panorama City area 91402.
    I just stuck a wire coat hanger (folded dipole-see internet on how to make one) on the box and can pick up most channels (between 60 and 80 %) except for ch 13, Ch 7 comes in but at about 60%.
    At times I must turn the box to pick up some stations but Ch 13 never comes in - even with a better outdoor antenna.
    I made my own VHF antenna out of two long 2"x4"x8' wood and solid heavy guage house wire -about 40 elements and put it in my garage and can pick up 2,4,5,9,11,30,28,50,56 plus some other useless channels and the signals are about 80-90% and ch 7 70-80% -but still no Ch 13.
    Hey! I wanna watch my Sienfeld at 10PM!
    Last edited by Sparky111; 12-26-2008 at 04:08 PM.

  7. #7
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1

    No KCOP

    I live in Sherman Oaks and although I had a great analog KCOP signal, there is no digital signal on that channel. Looks like the same problem as you have in Panorama City. Guess KCOP doesn't mind losing a large share of their former audience.

  8. #8
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1

    Did you get Channel 13 finally?

    Just wondering if you ever got Channel 13 and, if so, how did you do it? I still can't get it. I live by Ontario in Southern California.

    So, far, I really don't like DTV. I was perfectly happy with regular antenna. Also, I cannot afford Cable or any of the others.

    Look forward to your reply.

    Thank you in advance.

  9. #9
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Carthage Nc
    Posts
    590

    Quote Originally Posted by UnhappywithDTV View Post
    Just wondering if you ever got Channel 13 and, if so, how did you do it? I still can't get it. I live by Ontario in Southern California.

    So, far, I really don't like DTV. I was perfectly happy with regular antenna. Also, I cannot afford Cable or any of the others.

    Look forward to your reply.

    Thank you in advance.
    7 is a low power Vhf station at 37 miles from zip code 13 is not considered low power but is only twice the strength of 7 so both have very weak signals so this will cause a problem with DTV from them at 37 miles might need a pre amp on the antenna but that could cause problems with the stronger stations. suggestion stack a 4 bay uhf over a wineguard high gain vHF antenna combine them with a combiner should work.

  10. #10
    DTVUSA Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1

    I live in Fullerton and use my home made db8 antenna in the attic. I got all major channels including 13 analog/digital no problem with my upstair tv. But the digital picture quality of 13 is bad compared to other digital channels. I think because it's not HD. My downstair tv connected by a bit longer cable can't get 13 digital even with a good quality booster. Once in a while it comes in but doesn't last. I hop by June, they will boostup their digital signal.

    You can try a booster to see if it works for you because with the booster, my upstair tv get another signal bar for each channel.

  11. #11
    DTVUSA Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Carthage Nc
    Posts
    590

    Quote Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
    I live in Fullerton and use my home made db8 antenna in the attic. I got all major channels including 13 analog/digital no problem with my upstair tv. But the digital picture quality of 13 is bad compared to other digital channels. I think because it's not HD. My downstair tv connected by a bit longer cable can't get 13 digital even with a good quality booster. Once in a while it comes in but doesn't last. I hop by June, they will boostup their digital signal.

    You can try a booster to see if it works for you because with the booster, my upstair tv get another signal bar for each channel.
    the attic is cutting your db8s performance by 50% put it out side and you will get better results

  12. #12
    Unregistered
    Guest

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by HTNut View Post
    DTVCorona,
    where exactly are you at? Here are the DTV channel listings for Los Angeles.

    Stations/Channel
    ABC (KABC) 53
    KCAL 43
    CBS (KCBS) 60
    KCET 59
    KCOP 66
    KLCS 41
    KMEX 35
    NBC (KNBC) 36
    KTLA 31
    KTTV 65
    KWHY 42

    If you are in LA, which of the above stations are you missing?

    Thank you dude - I couldn't get NBC (and was freaking out) because it would always skip the channel, but when I typed in 36, it totally worked!

 

Related Topics and Posts

  1. Major Philadelphia station (6ABC) DTV broadcast power may not be enough - DTV | HDTV Reception and Antenna Discussion Forum
  2. Hi Bad reception on VHF HD Stations - DTV | HDTV Reception and Antenna Discussion Forum
  3. Which stations are considered low power stations? - DTV | HDTV Reception and Antenna Discussion Forum
  4. Hydroxycut: Major recall for supplement manufacture - Off Topic Forum

Quick Reply Quick Reply


Click here to log in

George ___________ was the first president of the United States (Answer this question correctly, it is used to stop spammers)

Tags for this Thread

Share this Post

Join DTVUSAForum

The leading television and technology community discussion site, join today!

DTV USA Forum is the best source of television
and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

Back to top