Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Are there any other streaming TV subscription services like Netflix or Hulu Plus?


    This is a discussion on Are there any other streaming TV subscription services like Netflix or Hulu Plus? within the Internet TV forums, part of the Streaming TV Discussion category.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 34
    1. #1
      DTVUSA Rookie
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      2

      Default

      I love Netflix but it seems like they're television show offerings are limited. Are there any other subscription based streaming TV services like it?

    2. #2
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      Salem, Ohio
      Posts
      60

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by NetflixDude View Post
      I love Netflix but it seems like they're television show offerings are limited. Are there any other subscription based streaming TV services like it?
      you can checkout the services available on the Roku streaming player HERE.

    3. #3
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Posts
      418

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post
      you can checkout the services available on the Roku streaming player HERE.

      Hmm, that's a pretty cool site. Seems like they just about all of them combined into one site. Thanks for sharing :-).

    4. #4

      Blogger: Orry's Orations

      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      On the planet Earth
      Posts
      3,112
      Blog Entries
      276

      Default

      Does anyone here actually own one of those Roku boxes? I'm curious how well they actually function.

    5. #5
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Longmeadow, MA
      Posts
      64

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
      Does anyone here actually own one of those Roku boxes? I'm curious how well they actually function.

      I actually have 3 ROKU boxes, one for each TV in the house. I cut cable TV 3 years ago and installed an OTA antenna and use ROKU to stream Netflix, Hulu and home server videos to the TVs.

      It is a great set top box for only $59.

      I find that my 3.0MBS DSL internet connection is fast enough to stream a Netflix movie in near HD quality. The box is very small and has a very simple menu and remote control....anyone can use a ROKU including granny.

      I highly recommend a ROKU, free channels are being added all the time.

    6. #6
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Longmeadow, MA
      Posts
      64

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post
      you can checkout the services available on the Roku streaming player HERE.
      In addition there are many "hidden" channels that can be added to the ROKU menu. ROKU is an open platform that allows developers to create channels public and private. The full list of ROKU channels available is at this link Roku Channel Database

    7. #7
      Moderator

      Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog

      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Location
      Charleston, SC
      Posts
      2,373
      Blog Entries
      1

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
      Does anyone here actually own one of those Roku boxes? I'm curious how well they actually function.
      Yes, they are very simple to operate...and easy to use. The GUI is nice but not as good looking as some others (like AppleTV and Boxee).

      There is no on/off button, they run continuously but consume low power. So anytime you switch to that input you should have a Roku screen ready to go.



      As to the OP, yes...

      Walmart backed Vudu
      Amazon on Demand
      iStore
      CinemaNow
      BlockBuster

      Those are some of the big ones. There are also quite a few smaller companies out there.

    8. #8
      Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Posts
      8

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Cutthecable View Post
      I actually have 3 ROKU boxes, one for each TV in the house. I cut cable TV 3 years ago and installed an OTA antenna and use ROKU to stream Netflix, Hulu and home server videos to the TVs.

      It is a great set top box for only $59.

      I find that my 3.0MBS DSL internet connection is fast enough to stream a Netflix movie in near HD quality. The box is very small and has a very simple menu and remote control....anyone can use a ROKU including granny.

      I highly recommend a ROKU, free channels are being added all the time.

      Hey Cutthecable, Thanks for sharing this information.

    9. #9
      Purple Flower
      Guest

      Default

      It's fantastic! I watch complete series of tv programs. There are new tv programs that are available at the same time they're on tv. There are multiple channels to add to your lineup, like Acorn TV which is British programs, documentaries, the programs offered on PBS. There are free movie channels, free music channels, exercise videos, how-to videos, etc. I use HuluPlus which I think is much better than Netflix. If you're into movies, you'll like Netflix better, but Hulu Plus has lots of old and new tv programs. Hulu Plus also has their own programs that are not available anywhere else.

    10. #10
      Guest
      Guest

      Default

      I predict Roku and Netflix type streaming will replace the major cable companies in a few years. We have another video streaming device but the Roku is vastly easier to use. We also have both Netflix and HuluPlus. Netflix is much more user friendly. Both have excellent customer service too so no more lousy "help" from the cable companies who make so much money they don't have to care. The only criticism I have is that there's not a bigger selection of tv shows and HuluPlus's menu is crowded with Asian anime cartoons. (Who watches those?) It makes trying to find shows time consuming as well as irritating.

    11. #11
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Kettering, Ohio
      Posts
      827

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
      HuluPlus's menu is crowded with Asian anime cartoons. (Who watches those?) It makes trying to find shows time consuming as well as irritating.
      I just re-subscribed to Hulu Plus about a week ago and you ain't kidding about all the anime selections. That stuff should be put in it's own little genre section so the rest of us don't have to sift through it to find something to watch.
      Avatar is the cover art from The Ghost Busters DVD

    12. #12
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Posts
      219
      Blog Entries
      15

      Default

      Rabbit TV is a $10 USB attachment that gets internet videos and online video services such as Hulu. It also offers Google Video, Amazon Instant, and anything you can search for on the internet!

    13. #13
      Guest
      Guest

      Default

      I have had Roku for years, ever since I decided not to pay high cable fees. Couldn't be happier! (The new smart tvs do basically the same thing)

    14. #14
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Posts
      219
      Blog Entries
      15

      Default

      roku limits your access for how much your paying there are better options. even a blu-ray player for about $40-50 will have smart TV technology and do all the functions of a roku and more, plus it plays blu-rays...

    15. #15
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      200

      Default

      Crackle definitely has some tv shows, not like Hulu or Netflix but still some shows.

    16. #16
      Moderator

      Webmaster of Cache Free TV

      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Location
      Logan, UT
      Posts
      4,043
      Blog Entries
      30

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Fan-boy-comics View Post
      roku limits your access for how much your paying there are better options. even a blu-ray player for about $40-50 will have smart TV technology and do all the functions of a roku and more, plus it plays blu-rays...
      Really? Have you even used a Roku box?

      I know of no Blu-Ray players that offer as many choices as Roku. It cost $50-$100 upfront, offers over 1000 channels - the only other device I know that offers more streaming choices would be a computer with a Blu-Ray player. And that will set you back a few hundred dollars.

      Want to see what is available on a Roku box?
      catastrophegirl's roku channel list

      What can you do with a Roku?
      Cache Free TV: What Can You Do With a Roku?

      I was just watching ESPN and BBC on my Roku using PlayOn and a script. Can you do that with a Blu-Ray player?

    17. #17
      Contributor
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      California
      Posts
      574
      Blog Entries
      34

      Default

      @MR Pogi,
      Ok...you have convinced me to sweet talk Momma into buying a Roku next pay check to "test" out...my test will be being able to get her shows. What kind of PVR setup are you using with yours?

    18. #18
      Contributor
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      2,680
      Blog Entries
      57

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by CaliTVguy View Post
      @MR Pogi,
      Ok...you have convinced me to sweet talk Momma into buying a Roku next pay check to "test" out...my test will be being able to get her shows. What kind of PVR setup are you using with yours?
      You won't regret it, make sure you check out the private channels. Also, check out PlayOn | Watch Free Online Movies, Shows, Live Sports on Your TV and More | PlayOn - it's a must for the Roku.

    19. #19
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Posts
      100

      Default

      You should check out Roku, maybe it's not as popular as Netflix but it's still not buying a pig in a poke as it's got its share of fans... Finding some info about Roku shouldn't be difficult.

    20. #20
      DTVUSA Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Posts
      219
      Blog Entries
      15

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by MrPogi View Post
      Really? Have you even used a Roku box?

      I know of no Blu-Ray players that offer as many choices as Roku. It cost $50-$100 upfront, offers over 1000 channels - the only other device I know that offers more streaming choices would be a computer with a Blu-Ray player. And that will set you back a few hundred dollars.

      Want to see what is available on a Roku box?
      catastrophegirl's roku channel list

      What can you do with a Roku?
      Cache Free TV: What Can You Do With a Roku?

      I was just watching ESPN and BBC on my Roku using PlayOn and a script. Can you do that with a Blu-Ray player?

      Yes I have ESPN, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, BBC, PBS, all that through my blu-ray player. It accesses the internet, Hulu, Netflix, Rodbox Instant, and has Smart TV capabilities. I have youtube at my fingertips, Google Video, and Amazon Prime all there on my Panasonic blu-ray player I picked up off Amazon for $43.99 and free shipping.

     
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Topics and Posts

    1. Hulu Wins Streaming Rights to 'Hell's Kitchen '
      By Fringe Reception in forum Internet TV
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 07-20-2011, 05:10 AM
    2. Replies: 4
      Last Post: 03-09-2011, 12:19 AM
    3. Netflix vs Hulu+
      By TwentyFive in forum Internet TV
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
    4. Hulu plans subscription fees
      By tongyun in forum Internet TV
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 11-26-2009, 12:29 PM

    Quick Reply Quick Reply


    Click here to log in

    George ___________ was the first president of the United States (Answer this question correctly, it is used to stop spammers)

    Tags for this Thread

    Share this Post

    Join DTVUSAForum

    The leading television and technology community discussion site, join today!

    DTV USA Forum is the best source of television
    and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

    Back to top