Earlier this week, I posted about some of the top movies for streaming on Netflix, now I’d like to share some of the best TV shows travelling down my Internet tubes.
Streaming television is very convenient, and “today’s TV experience” is much more appropriate to today’s lifestyle than in the past. Sure, it was fun when the whole family had their “show” on a particular time, on a particular night. Well, these days we still have that right? Just with a lot more flexibility and a lot more variety.
Plus, the streaming experience and video on demand gives us the “kid in a candy store” feeling. Perhaps there is such thing as “too much TV” but we’re responsible people, and we decide what we plan to stream through Netflix, and what we skip past. We decide when and how much we watch from our all-you-can-watch Netflix smorgasbord.
Ok, let’s get into it. The best TV shows for Netflix streaming for 2013.
1) Breaking Bad – Created and produced by Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad is drama series set in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It is the story of a struggling high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with advanced lung cancer, who becomes a drug pusher with the help of a student.
2) The Walking Dead – This horror TV series is based on the current comic book collection of the same name. The Walking Dead stars Andrew Lincoln as Sheriff’s Deputy Rick Grimes who finds the world dominated by “walkers” after waking up from coma.
3) Arrested Development – A situation comedy about the Bluth’s who are a formerly wealthy, habitually dysfunctional family. Created by Mitchell Hurwitz for the Fox Broadcasting Company and executive produced and narrated by Ron Howard.
4) Firefly – Set in the year 2517, after humans arrive into the new star system, Firefly is an American space western TV series. It follows the adventures of the crew of nine who live aboard the “Serenity” spaceship. Serenity was the name of the film that followed this short lived series.
5) How I Met Your Mother – Created almost 8 years ago, this sitcom starring Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser M.D., Smurfs) is directed by Pamela Fryman and created by Craig Thomas and Carter Bays. How I Met Your Mother follows the lives of Ted Mosby and his friends Marshall Eriksen, Robin Scherbatsky, Lily Aldrin and Barney Stinson.
6) Parks and Recreation – Another comedy making the Netflix list, Parks and Recreation centers around Amy Poehler, a mid-level bureaucrat in the parks department of a fictional town in Indiana called Pawnee. It began as a spin-off to The Office.
7) Mad Men – Mad Men is set in the 1960s, centered around the creative director at Sterling Cooper, Don Draper. It focuses around the lives of the people both in Don’s personal and his business lives.
8) Sons of Anarchy – This drama TV series created by Kurt Sutter may be one of my favorite Netflix series of all time. It stars a newly pronounced Katey Sagal (Married With Children) and centers around the lives of a close-knit outlaw motorcycle club dealing with internal and external conflicts. It is certainly a show chock full of the good guy bad guy types, the main character Jackson “Jax” Teller being one.
9) Weeds – This comedy drama, created by Jenji Kohan, focuses on main character Nancy Botwin (Mary-Louise Parker), a widowed mother of two boys who begins selling ‘weed’ to support her family. The family gets involved in more and deeper illegal activities throughout the series.
10) Prison Break – Broadcast on the Fox Broadcasting Company between 2005 and 2009, Prison Break is about a man who deliberately commits a crime with the intent of being incarcerated in the same prison as his brother. His intent is to break out his brother, who is sentenced for execution for a crime that he did not commit.
What about you? What are your top picks for Netflix streaming television?
Category: Streaming TV