PBS Ratings On Rise for 2013
Subscribe via RSS Feed

PBS Ratings On Rise for 2013


This is a discussion on PBS Ratings On Rise for 2013 within the PBS forums, part of the Television Programming category.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,665
    Blog Entries
    57

    PBS Ratings On Rise for 2013

    Technically, these ratings numbers are for 2012, but PBS seems to be bringing more viewers recently according to this article: PBS

    Mostly due to a new show called Downtown Abbey,

    “Downton Abbey,” a British period television dramatic series created by Julian Fellowes, has become a sensation in the United States. It rang up a surprisingly strong figure of 7.9 million viewers for the premiere of its third season

  2. #2
    Moderator

    Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,373
    Blog Entries
    1

    Thanks Aaron. Ive been hearing a lot of buzz about that show, lately.

    Good to see you, too!

  3. #3
    Moderator

    Webmaster of Cache Free TV

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    3,836
    Blog Entries
    28

    So much of whats on commercial TV is so horrible* that all PBS has to do is broadcast dead air and they would win the ratings wars. The could broadcast dead air 24/7, but thankfully PBS continues to take the high road. Although Downton Abbey is a British show, there's plenty of great PBS shows, and PBS is, and will continue to be, one of my favorite networks.

    I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the Screen Writers Guild for bringing this plague of reality shows upon us while simultaneously shooting themselves in the foot by going on strike. Nice work, dumb-asses.

    *(Kardasians, Jersey Shore, Best Funeral Ever, Storage Wars, Dancing With The Stars, Survivor - just to name a few.)

  4. #4
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,899
    Blog Entries
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPogi View Post
    I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the Screen Writers Guild for bringing this plague of reality shows upon us while simultaneously shooting themselves in the foot by going on strike. Nice work, dumb-asses.
    Don't hold back now, Pogi.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPogi View Post
    (Kardasians, Jersey Shore, Best Funeral Ever, Storage Wars, Dancing With The Stars, Survivor - just to name a few.)
    Man, I know a chick who lives and dies by DWTS.

  5. #5
    Moderator

    Webmaster of Cache Free TV

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    3,836
    Blog Entries
    28

    Man, I know a chick who lives and dies by DWTS.
    My mom thinks it's the best TV show EVER. And everything I like (like the news, Colbert, and the Daily show) is stupid.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Chief Content Editor

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Seattle ... and still learning that sometimes ATSC reception = Black Magic plus Pixie Dust
    Posts
    3,895
    Blog Entries
    35

    PBS used to offer some genuinely educational shows (sans politics) including James Burke's Connections from the BBC.

    From IMDB: This series explores the various paths of how technological change happens and the social effects of these changes on Western society. To illustrate this, James Burke follows various timelines of how one innovation lead to something seemingly totally unrelated in the future such as how a 17th century Dutch cargo ship design lead to development of plastic in the 20th century.

    It is a fantastic series as is Connections-2, Connections-3 and The Day The Universe Changed, however, I now see political 'points of view' in almost every current PBS "scientific program" these days which makes their new facts hard to swallow for me.

    No matter what they claim, my 'clean/21 mpg' SUV isn't causing "global warming" any more than my Dad's 12 mpg big-block Ford station wagon from 40 years ago.

    PBS has an agenda these days and the taxpayers should not have to pay for it.

    Jim

  7. #7
    The Graveyard Shift
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canberra, ACT - Australia
    Posts
    730
    Blog Entries
    1

    Outside of the United States; Global Warming is accepted as a scientific fact by most, as are other things that are oddly (to me) sometimes considered "controversial" in the united states (usually with the strongly religious), such as Evolution, and the biological/physiological basis of homosexuality (as opposed to a personal choice), and others.

    By viewing overseas material (from which I understand is reasonably common on PBS) you will see those viewpoints placed far more often. I doubt they have any particular agenda. They have to get their material from somewhere, and most international public broadcasters are a well funded juggernauts as opposed to PBS which relies on donations and grants for the majority of its budget.
    Last edited by nbound-au; 01-10-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    MrPogi likes this.
    nbound-au is a qualified Antenna, Satellite, and MATV installer.

    I live in DVB-T land.


  8. #8
    Moderator

    Webmaster of Cache Free TV

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    3,836
    Blog Entries
    28

    Quote Originally Posted by nbound-au View Post
    Outside of the United States; Global Warming is accepted as a scientific fact by most, as are other things that are oddly (to me) sometimes considered "controversial" in the united states (usually with the strongly religious), such as Evolution, and the biological/physiological basis of homosexuality (as opposed to a personal choice), and others.

    By viewing overseas material (from which I understand is reasonably common on PBS) you will see those viewpoints placed far more often. I doubt they have any particular agenda. They have to get their material from somewhere, and most international public broadcasters are a well funded juggernauts as opposed to PBS which relies on donations and grants for the majority of its budget.
    What he said.

  9. #9
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,899
    Blog Entries
    10

    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... if we cause a little warming with technology we can fix it with technology. I think the gubment should be working on firing rockets on one side of the earth to gently sync us into a larger orbit.

    Or if that doesn't work, come up with SOMEthing other than laying a guilt trip on the populace. That's too easy. The purpose of government should ALWAYS be to increase the average citizen's access to power and wealth.
    Fringe Reception likes this.

  10. #10
    The Graveyard Shift
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canberra, ACT - Australia
    Posts
    730
    Blog Entries
    1

    Sometimes theres no easy option.... besides even the US (in conjunction with the rest of the world)would need to massively increase taxes to pay gor and supply fuel to such a device... Which is unlikely to even be possible. By using anf investing alternative fuels such as wind, solar, and nuclear we are saving the populace money in the long term as currently more and more people are competing for fossil fuels driving up the price as well as the ever increasing cost of retreiving most fossil fuels from more remote and/or low grade sources.


    Anyways enough of that... Lets get back to something we CAN agree on... Free TV
    Last edited by nbound-au; 01-11-2013 at 04:25 AM.
    nbound-au is a qualified Antenna, Satellite, and MATV installer.

    I live in DVB-T land.


  11. #11
    Moderator

    Webmaster of Cache Free TV

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    3,836
    Blog Entries
    28

    Anyways enough of that... Lets get back to something we CAN agree on... Free TV
    Again, what he said.

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Monument, CO
    Posts
    2,951
    Blog Entries
    5

    Outside of the United States; Global Warming is accepted as a scientific fact by most...
    Well, that is if you live in a Rhodes/Milner Roundtable (New World Order) country where all independent thought has been sucessfully suppressed.

    Global warming, the tool of the West - English pravda.ru
    Fringe Reception likes this.

  13. #13
    Moderator

    Webmaster of Cache Free TV

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    3,836
    Blog Entries
    28

    There is more scientific evidence for the existence global warming than there is scientific evidence for the existence of God.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator
    Chief Content Editor

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Seattle ... and still learning that sometimes ATSC reception = Black Magic plus Pixie Dust
    Posts
    3,895
    Blog Entries
    35

    Our local CBS affiliate did their annual (2012) review of all local things of importance on New Years Day and they touted that the Olympic Mountains currently have 150% of their average snowfall and the Olympic Mountains have 250% of their average snowfall, yet the season of Winter had barely begun (Dec. 21).

    Much like 1975 in the Northwest when there was not 12 feet of air under Skiing Chair lifts at Snoqualmie pass - riders had to tuck their knees to their chests to ride to the top of our Mountains: only enough 'clearance' for the skis under the Chair lifts. Weather is cyclical.

    Climate change - yes - because it always changes! By their names Greenland and Iceland are classic examples: look at their weather histories. Again, it is cyclical.

    Jim

  15. #15
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,899
    Blog Entries
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by nbound-au View Post
    Sometimes theres no easy option....
    And sometimes there are easy options that aren't explored because the object is to centralize power rather than disburse it. No Power To The People!

    Quote Originally Posted by nbound-au View Post
    besides even the US (in conjunction with the rest of the world)would need to massively increase taxes to pay gor and supply fuel to such a device... Which is unlikely to even be possible.
    This is argument from ignorance. You simply choose to believe an unspecified device is impossible. Astrophysicists have come up with low cost ways to divert asteroids from striking the earth within a very limited time frame. I think they could come up with low cost ways to divert the orbit of earth given a nearly UNlimited time frame. I bet there are also ways to change the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere without making people less powerful and more dependant.

    Quote Originally Posted by nbound-au View Post
    By using anf investing alternative fuels such as wind, solar, and nuclear we are saving the populace money in the long term
    Ho, ho, ho. The instant an alternative fuel becomes cost efficient it will be demonized by the liberatzi. The one thing you listed with ROI potential is nuclear. You really think that's cheered along in the US?? The object is always, always to instill guilt, thereby minimizing the individual. Windmills will have to be shut down due to bird deaths. Too many solar panels -- converting heat to electricity -- will cause GLOBAL COOLING! I'm not kidding; just watch.

    Perfect example: Fracking. The U.S. could be the Saudi Arabia of natural gas. This can never be allowed. Hmmm... China Syndrome did wonders... Maybe Matt Damon will make a movie!

    Quote Originally Posted by nbound-au View Post
    Anyways enough of that... Lets get back to something we CAN agree on... Free TV
    Perfectly happy to agree. This should certainly be the last post on the subject.

    Rick
    Fringe Reception likes this.

  16. #16
    The Graveyard Shift
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canberra, ACT - Australia
    Posts
    730
    Blog Entries
    1

    Gah, I did not really want to discuss politics here, I joined for the antennas only, (someone think of the antennas!), but I cant help but reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post
    Well, that is if you live in a Rhodes/Milner Roundtable (New World Order) country where all independent thought has been sucessfully suppressed.

    Global warming, the tool of the West - English pravda.ru
    Ah of course, that must be it,

    Quote Originally Posted by Fringe Reception View Post
    Our local CBS affiliate did their annual (2012) review of all local things of importance on New Years Day and they touted that the Olympic Mountains currently have 150% of their average snowfall and the Olympic Mountains have 250% of their average snowfall, yet the season of Winter had barely begun (Dec. 21).

    Much like 1975 in the Northwest when there was not 12 feet of air under Skiing Chair lifts at Snoqualmie pass - riders had to tuck their knees to their chests to ride to the top of our Mountains: only enough 'clearance' for the skis under the Chair lifts. Weather is cyclical.

    Climate change - yes - because it always changes! By their names Greenland and Iceland are classic examples: look at their weather histories. Again, it is cyclical.

    Jim
    Yes, both weather and climate are cyclical, but to claim increased snowfall in one particular location at one particular time is evidence against climate change is over simplifying the argument. Climate change is merely the general increase of the average temperature across most of the planet (yes, some regions will actually cool slightly), The point being that days like those will occur less often, not that they wont occur at all. If you think of the range of temperatures at any particular location as a bell curve (most around average, with a sharp drop off towards the extreme highs and lows), then climate change is merely the shift of that bell curve generally up a few degrees. This does have long term implications over centuries and millenia which will cause problems for future generations (mainly, that rising sea levels will eventually cover low lying areas [over long timescales]). And will displace millions, especially in developing countries that dont have the capabilities to construct systems that will help protect large population centres.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickideemus View Post
    And sometimes there are easy options that aren't explored because the object is to centralize power rather than disburse it. No Power To The People!
    Because the rest of the world is apparently a socialist/communist paradise?



    Quote Originally Posted by Rickideemus View Post
    This is argument from ignorance. You simply choose to believe an unspecified device is impossible. Astrophysicists have come up with low cost ways to divert asteroids from striking the earth within a very limited time frame. I think they could come up with low cost ways to divert the orbit of earth given a nearly UNlimited time frame. I bet there are also ways to change the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere without making people less powerful and more dependant.
    Its not an argument from ignorance actually, its an argument from common sense (and a bit of knowledge in an area that Im quite interested in - space and related fields). All they have been able to do so far is theorise that placing a ion thruster (one of the weakest, yet fuel efficient engines) on an asteroid [or using an ion powered spacecraft as a gravitational tractor] over long periods (many years depending on size) to move its path by several tens of thousands of kilometres.
    The Earth is a completely different kettle of fish, its is MANY MANY MANY MANY orders of magnitude more massive then an asteroid. And to move far enough to change the climate perceptibly is going to number in the many millions of kilometres outwards. If we were to place rockets on the surface, they would need to be massive (not only to push the Earth), but due to the fact Earth unlike asteroids, has an atmosphere. fireing a ion thruster (or even a more conventional fuel guzzling rocket) into the atmosphere at anything near ground level is going to be futile in the extreme. To use the gravitational tractor approach, requires an extremely large mass (at least comparable to a fraction of the portion of the earth) in the L2 langrangian point, which will require its own fuel source as the L2 point is inherently unstable for spacecraft. this is on top of the slow ion thrust outwards.



    Quote Originally Posted by Rickideemus View Post
    Ho, ho, ho. The instant an alternative fuel becomes cost efficient it will be demonized by the liberatzi.
    I for one cant wait until Fusion has progressed to the point it is a viable alternative fuel. Id be considered very liberal/left by American standards. Though probably centrist by European standards.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickideemus View Post
    The one thing you listed with ROI potential is nuclear. You really think that's cheered along in the US?? The object is always, always to instill guilt, thereby minimizing the individual. Windmills will have to be shut down due to bird deaths. Too many solar panels -- converting heat to electricity -- will cause GLOBAL COOLING! I'm not kidding; just watch.
    I guess all the wind power turbine fields (at least half a dozen) in my region get there money growing on trees or something. (And yes, they are privatised power generation companies). Even farmers are putting up their own midsized turbines to sell power back to the grid. Not to mention all the solar panels on homes and businesses around pretty much anywhere in australia, which again, you can sell power back to the grid, 100% ROI is often within ~5 years. I assume the warmer states over there would at least have solar (non-photovoltaic) hotwater systems.

    As far as the global cooling thing, I hope you were joking!... but if not, then look into thermodynamics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickideemus View Post
    Perfect example: Fracking. The U.S. could be the Saudi Arabia of natural gas. This can never be allowed. Hmmm... China Syndrome did wonders... Maybe Matt Damon will make a movie!
    And yet, fracking is the source of 30% of the US's natural gas! As far as Im aware only one or two US states have actually outlawed fracking, the rest have it regulated. And of course it should be regulated, it has the potential to your affect drinking water. Regulated fracking isnt uncommon over here either, hell... Australia is worlds 3rd largest producer of Natural Gas and likely to be the largest by 2020 (most of that is not due to fracking of course). Not bad for some liberatzi overseas state... haha. Hell we rank in the top few producing countries worldwide of other resources too, including Uranium, and many others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickideemus View Post
    Perfectly happy to agree. This should certainly be the last post on the subject.
    Okay, now Im done.... unless someone pokes me again!
    Last edited by nbound-au; 01-11-2013 at 08:11 PM.
    nbound-au is a qualified Antenna, Satellite, and MATV installer.

    I live in DVB-T land.


  17. #17
    Super Moderator
    Chief Content Editor

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Seattle ... and still learning that sometimes ATSC reception = Black Magic plus Pixie Dust
    Posts
    3,895
    Blog Entries
    35

    Yeah ... two different Mountain Ranges that have way higher than usual snow levels doesn't count.

    Really?

  18. #18
    The Graveyard Shift
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canberra, ACT - Australia
    Posts
    730
    Blog Entries
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by Fringe Reception View Post
    Yeah ... two different Mountain Ranges that have way higher than usual snow levels doesn't count.

    Really?
    Yes, really, just as an abnormally hot year doesnt count either. This is often misrepresented by opponents of the scientific consensus

    Parts of Australia got up around 50C (~130F) just the other day, but that isnt evidence for climate change either (The national bureau of meteorology had to add new colour gradients to their heatmap as some areas are theorised to have approached 54C [previous record in AU is ~50C] ). Climate change is just the average temperature increasing (in most areas). So such days instead of being a once in a millenia (im not sure of the exact theorised occurence, but it doesnt matter for the point im putting across), they could occur more often. Such extreme days may still happen only once in a few hundred years or so even under "warmed conditions", but as the bell curve of temperature distribution changes, you get a more moderately hot days (by a cpl degrees), and a less moderately cold days [by our standards]. As temperature numbers closer to the average have statistically much higher chance of occuring.

    Same applies with snowfall, you can still get years with abnormally large amounts of snow, they just wont happen as often. The general trend in most places around the world (not all), is that snow lines, glaciers, and ice caps are all receding over longer time spans (even if they do increase over shorter ones).

    Similar arguments apply to evolution, the religious sides usually tries to strawman by misrepresenting what evolution actually is. (Oddball questions like: Why don't monkeys occasionally give birth to people, if we came from monkeys? - The whole premise of the question is wrong [we merely shared a common ancestor with monkeys many millions of years ago], and a monkey giving birth to a human would disprove evolution [evolution is merely that small genetic changes over enormous timespans (or enormous numbers of generations) build up to eventually produce different species])
    Last edited by nbound-au; 01-11-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    nbound-au is a qualified Antenna, Satellite, and MATV installer.

    I live in DVB-T land.


  19. #19
    The Graveyard Shift
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canberra, ACT - Australia
    Posts
    730
    Blog Entries
    1

    GAH, I knew this would happen... Im not posting any more in this thread no matter who replies or how hard they poke.

    Rick, pass me the peace pipe man!
    nbound-au is a qualified Antenna, Satellite, and MATV installer.

    I live in DVB-T land.


  20. #20
    Moderator

    Webmaster of Cache Free TV

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    3,836
    Blog Entries
    28

    Change the Earth's orbit!?

    I think they could come up with low cost ways to divert the orbit of earth given a nearly UNlimited time frame.
    Change the Earth's orbit?
    You do NOT want to do this. It's akin to shooting billiards with planets. Changing ANY objects' orbit is risky business, even very small objects. Imagine, if you will, that we DO change a small asteroid's orbit. It may have hit the Earth in a relatively unpopulated area if left alone, or caused a major disaster if it hit in the wrong spot. Or, perhaps if we changed its orbit, that asteroid will smash into yet another MUCH LARGER asteroid in the future, moving it to a collision course that could totally fracture the earth into a billion pieces!

    Even small changes to small bodies can have unexpected consequences. Indeed, even tiny spacecraft using "gravitational assist" can alter the velocity of a large planet like Jupiter:
    The spacecraft is a physical mass, so it has its own gravitation. That's how the spacecraft can tug on Jupiter and actually decrease the planet's orbital momentum by a tiny amount. In exchange, the spacecraft acquires a significant amount of momentum from Jupiter, compared to the momentum the spacecraft already had.
    Cassini Solstice Mission: Gravity Assists/Flybys A Quick Gravity Assist Primer

    Which is the point here: ALL actions have consequences (reference, Physics 101, see "Newton's laws of motion"), and to assert that human activities can not or have not altered the Earth's climate is ludicrous. If you look at the evidence, it's pretty clear that the ocean level is rising and glaciers are receding. To what extent humanity plays a role is debatable. But to not have that discussion, to not attempt to minimize the impact of human activity, is equally ludicrous.

    Or, you could just choose to stick your head in the sand or change channels. If you think PBS is biased, I would suggest that the very unbiased EIB Network or Fox News may better agree with your own version of "truthiness".

    They'll probably piss test me at work after I do this, but pass me that peace pipe, dudes.

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Topics and Posts

  1. Converter Box Coupons for 2013? - Converter Boxes and ATSC Tuners Forum
  2. TV Purchases Expected to Be 20 Percent 3D in 2013 - 3D HDTV Forum

Quick Reply Quick Reply


Click here to log in

What state is the city of Los Angeles located in? (Answer this question correctly, it is used to stop spammers)

Tags for this Thread

Share this Post

Join DTVUSAForum

The leading television and technology community discussion site, join today!

DTV USA Forum is the best source of television
and technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

Back to top