+ Reply to Thread

Default 4228 vs 4228HD vs U8000 vs DB8 vs XG91

Ok Guys.. this is a big one but we'll see how it goes. I am looking at pulling in all Tucson + Phoenix stations. I don't care about VHF as I already have an antenna I will use for the 2-3 VHF stations that will be broadcasting in DTV here. For reference, my zip code is 85742.

I was going to order a 4228HD but CM is not shipping them out to any retailer for a couple of weeks. I got impatient and started looking at the AntennaCraft U8000.

I have direct line of sight (no hills/mountains/anything) to the antenna's in phoenix (89 miles away) and I know for a fact they get picked up on a 4221 with an ancient pre-amp at my father's house a few miles away.

However -- he does not pick up all of the channels from phoenix with his 4221 and ancient preamp. I am a few miles closer and have a more direct line of sight.

I am wondering what your opinions and experiences are with the antenna's listed in the topic title. I would love to get the 4228HD but I don't want to wait for it unless they made some changes that justify waiting for it over another antenna that will perform equally.

Let's hear it

for longest range the 91-xg connect the two antennas with a channel master titan 7777 pre amp and you are in business.
    the antennas direct 91-xg is rated at 70 miles with no pre amp over flat terrain, the U8000 is a 65 mile antenna so the 91-xg is the highest gain uhf antenna out there at this point.
    Last edited by cowboyup4christ; 01-16-2009 at 05:51 AM.

DTVUSA Rookie

Thanks.. I think I am going with the XG91 and Winegard GS1100 with the CM 7777 preamp and the Eagle Aspen ROTR100 rotator (it's the "one-wire" rotator, but I am hooking it up on it's own wire so I don't lose any gain).

I now have to think about where to place the antenna that will give me the most line of sight to the signals or bounced signals. Now that I look, I have some neighbors with taller trees in their yards that I have to try to work between.

look at your tvfool radar img and you should get a good Idea of the direction as your address is the center point.

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    Thanks.. I think I am going with the XG91 and Winegard GS1100 with the CM 7777 preamp and the Eagle Aspen ROTR100 rotator (it's the "one-wire" rotator, but I am hooking it up on it's own wire so I don't lose any gain).

I now have to think about where to place the antenna that will give me the most line of sight to the signals or bounced signals. Now that I look, I have some neighbors with taller trees in their yards that I have to try to work between.
    Just to add on to what Cowboy said, you'll probably want to put your exact address into tvfool.com to get a more accurate reading on the location of the towers from your house. A rotator will definitely be beneficial if the antennas are spread out in different directions.