+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15



  1. #1

    Default DTV Converter instead of cable box?

    I have two TV's. One is an analog version and the other is a new HDTV digital ready model.

    When I hook the new digital tv up to my cable I get tons of channels (all the regular channels, plus all the decimal channels, plus music channels and all the free HDTV channels like Animal Planet, NBC, CBS, etc.)

    The analog tv only gets the basic cable lineup.

    I bought a DTV converter to hook to the analog tv to try to tune in the decimal channels and music channels, etc. but the DTV converter box when hooked to the cable finds NO SIGNALS.

    How can I get the DTV converter to recognize a cable input (as opposed to an antenna) or in other words, how can I get my analog tv to tune into the same cable channels as my new digital ready TV?

    Thanks

    Related Topics and Posts

    - All Other Cable and Satellite Providers
    - Comcast
    - DTV | HDTV Chat
    - Converter Boxes and ATSC Tuners
    - Converter Boxes and ATSC Tuners
  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    I have two TV's. One is an analog version and the other is a new HDTV digital ready model.

    When I hook the new digital tv up to my cable I get tons of channels (all the regular channels, plus all the decimal channels, plus music channels and all the free HDTV channels like Animal Planet, NBC, CBS, etc.)

    The analog tv only gets the basic cable lineup.

    I bought a DTV converter to hook to the analog tv to try to tune in the decimal channels and music channels, etc. but the DTV converter box when hooked to the cable finds NO SIGNALS.

    How can I get the DTV converter to recognize a cable input (as opposed to an antenna) or in other words, how can I get my analog tv to tune into the same cable channels as my new digital ready TV?

    Thanks
    you must get a box from the cable company that coverts digital cable to analog this will be an extra fee to get. cheaper to get an antenna for the local network digital

  3. #3

    Default

    Do you know what the difference is between a digital tv and an anlog tv with converter? Why is it that my digital tv does not need a cable converter box but my analog tv does? Can I not buy externally for my analog tv what my digital tv has inside that is performing this function?

  4. #4

    Default Converter boxes on cable

    I have the same question. I think the converter box handles only over-the-air modulation, and the cable provides a different kind. The HDTV apparently can handle either and selects the appropriate one.

    Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    I have two TV's. One is an analog version and the other is a new HDTV digital ready model.

    When I hook the new digital tv up to my cable I get tons of channels (all the regular channels, plus all the decimal channels, plus music channels and all the free HDTV channels like Animal Planet, NBC, CBS, etc.)

    The analog tv only gets the basic cable lineup.

    I bought a DTV converter to hook to the analog tv to try to tune in the decimal channels and music channels, etc. but the DTV converter box when hooked to the cable finds NO SIGNALS.

    How can I get the DTV converter to recognize a cable input (as opposed to an antenna) or in other words, how can I get my analog tv to tune into the same cable channels as my new digital ready TV?

    Thanks

  5. #5

    Default

    That's because your converter box only has an 8VSB modulation type tuner. Most new HDTVs are built with both 8VSB and QAM type modulation tuners, which is why you can receive HD on local programming. We can thank the cable companies for "petitioning" the FCC to allow them to use the QAM modulation over 8VSB because they can "broadcast more data" that way. More about it QAM tuner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HTNut View Post
    That's because your converter box only has an 8VSB modulation type tuner. Most new HDTVs are built with both 8VSB and QAM type modulation tuners, which is why you can receive HD on local programming. We can thank the cable companies for "petitioning" the FCC to allow them to use the QAM modulation over 8VSB because they can "broadcast more data" that way. More about it QAM tuner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Yeah, we wouldn't want the cable companies and OTA having the same modulation now, would we? That would make life too simple.

  7. #7

    Default

    Well at least I can understand why it doesn't work, I think. If the converter box only recognizes 8Vsb and the new digital tv's recognize 8VSB and QAM, what's in the old analog TV's that allow them to recognize cable and the new converter boxes cannot? Is there a third type of tuner?

    Anthony

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    Well at least I can understand why it doesn't work, I think. If the converter box only recognizes 8Vsb and the new digital tv's recognize 8VSB and QAM, what's in the old analog TV's that allow them to recognize cable and the new converter boxes cannot? Is there a third type of tuner?

    Anthony
    New TVs can recognize cable, it's just that one's with a QAM tuner can get Hi-Def on local channels from basic cable or from premium cable with a set top box.

    Wait, are you trying to use an over-the-air converter box with cable?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Yeah, we wouldn't want the cable companies and OTA having the same modulation now, would we? That would make life too simple.
    Hehe. However, if cable was required to use 8VSB, cable subscribers might have half as many HD channels as they have, now, so perhaps the problem was not using QAM over-the-air!

    Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    Well at least I can understand why it doesn't work, I think. If the converter box only recognizes 8Vsb and the new digital tv's recognize 8VSB and QAM, what's in the old analog TV's that allow them to recognize cable and the new converter boxes cannot? Is there a third type of tuner?
    Yes: NTSC. That's the kind of tuner in old analog televisions.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
    Hehe. However, if cable was required to use 8VSB, cable subscribers might have half as many HD channels as they have, now, so perhaps the problem was not using QAM over-the-air!

    Yes: NTSC. That's the kind of tuner in old analog televisions.
    I guess that's true, but if QAM is so much more efficient, then why didn't OTA broadcasters adopt it as their standard modulation?

  11. #11

    Default

    HTNUT,

    Yes, I was trying to use an OTA converter box with cable and my old analog tv in order to try to get as many and the same channels as what my new digital ready TV gets.

    Anthony

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I guess that's true, but if QAM is so much more efficient, then why didn't OTA broadcasters adopt it as their standard modulation?
    My understanding is that coaxial cable has a higher signal-to-noise ratio than over-the-air transmission, and therefore a more efficient transmission modulation is practical. Cable transmissions travel through a shielded cable, instead of through the air, where transmissions are subject to substantial interference.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    HTNUT,

    Yes, I was trying to use an OTA converter box with cable and my old analog tv in order to try to get as many and the same channels as what my new digital ready TV gets.

    Anthony
    The OTA box will not be compatible with cable at all. The only way you can receive more channels, is if you rent the cable companies set top unit and pay for the extra channels.
    Last edited by TonyT; 02-23-2009 at 09:37 AM.

  14. #14

    Default

    I was not looking for more channels. I only want to recieve the same channels on my analog tv that I get with my digital tv.
    Anthony

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    I was not looking for more channels. I only want to recieve the same channels on my analog tv that I get with my digital tv.
    Anthony
    Sorry bud, just not possible with an OTA box and basic cable. You could connect a A/B switch to the converter, and the other connection to the basic cable, then switch back and forth between the two. That'll be your best bet for getting the most channels.

Related Topics and Posts on DTVUSAForum

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Reply to this topic as a guest. All guest posts will be moderated and approved within 2 hours.


Tags for this Thread

About
DTV USA Forum is the best source of televisionand technology troubleshooting advice from a community of experts and members.

Fromhobbyists to engineers, our diverse network of members chat about everything from the latest TV antenna hardware, Home Theater technology, cable, satellite, streaming tv, and much more.
Stay up to Date!
Join Today!
Join DTVUSAForum