+ Reply to Thread

Default no comcast box - LOTS of channels, no guide

Newbie question:
    Is there a channel guide for the following situation?

I bought a Samsung lcd tv...first tv I've owned in five years. Wow...what a difference. I watch dtv with rabbit ears.

I ordered comcast internet svc. ($42.95). To my surprise, my new Samsung TV gets LOADS of channels. Some are so clear I think they may be HD. The problem is the channel numbers. For example, Fox News is 77-3. Is there a guide out there?

Blog Entries

What city, state do you live in? Your Samsung probably has a QAM tuner which is compatible with cable.

An integrated QAM tuner allows the free reception of unscrambled digital programming sent "in the clear" by cable providers, usually local broadcast stations cable radio channels, or in the case of providers which have transitioned to do so, public access channels. Which channels are scrambled varies greatly from location to location and can change over time; the majority of digital channels are scrambled because the providers consider them to be extra-cost options and not part of the "basic cable" package.
    QAM tuner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Default Comcast QAM list for Oregon

Enclosed is a list I found elsewhere. What channels you can tune will depend on your location and which QAM tuner used.

Here's a run-down of the clear QAM channels my J&R 2160 (December 2008), Magnavox 2080 (July 2007) and ZV450MW8A (August 2008) tune when connected directly to the Comcast coax feed in Portland Oregon:

2.1 KATU, 2.2 THIS, 6.1 KOIN, 8.1 KGW, 8.2 KGW WEATHER, 10.1 KOPB, 10.3 KOPB CREATE, 12.1 KPTV, 19.2-19.8 LOCAL ACCESS OR TV GUIDE, 19.9 KOPB OREGON CHANNEL, 19.10 ARTS/LOCAL ACCESS, 19.11 LOCAL ACCESS, 32.1 KWBP, 32.2 NBC SPORTS, 49.1 KPDX, 64.1 SYFY, 64.2 CMT, 64.3 FOX NEWS, 64.4 COMCAST SPORTSNET, 64.5 CNBC, 64.6 ANIMAL PLANET, 64.7 TRAVEL, 64.8 CNN, 64.9 GOLF, 65.1 ABC FAMILY, 65.2 DISNEY, 65.3 TBS, 65.4 VH1, 65.5 FOX SPORTS, 65.6 ESPN, 65.7 TVLAND, 65.8 VS SPORTS, 66.1 ESPN2, 66.2 MTV, 66.3 NWCN (WASHINGTON/OREGON/IDAHO NEWS ORIGINATING FROM KING-TV IN SEATTLE), 66.4 AMC, 66.5 COMEDY, 66.6 E!, 66.7 SPIKE, 66.8 MSNBC, 67.1 TNT, 67.2 HALLMARK, 67.3 LIFETIME, 67.4 FX, 67.5 NICK, 67.6 WEATHER CHANNEL, 67.7 CNN HEADLINE, 68.1 BET, 68.2 OXYGEN, 68.3 TLC, 68.4 CARTOON NETWORK, 68.5 TRU (COURT TV), 68.6 FOOD, 68.7 USA, 68.8 HGTV, 68.9 HISTORY, 68.10 A&E, 69.1 DISCOVERY KIDS, 69.2 SCIENCE, 69.3 HISTORY INTL, 69.4 THE FEED G4, 69.5 BLOOMBERG, 69.6 BIOGRAPHY, 69.7 LIFETIME MOVIE NET, 69.8 WE, 69.9 SPROUT KIDS, 69.10 DAYSTAR, 72.47 PPV/ON DEMAND, 73.1 KATU, 73.2 KGW, 73.3 KWBP, 73.4 KXPG (ION), 73.5 KNMT, 92.7 HSN, 92.8 QVC, 94.9 PORTLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE, 101.7 CSPAN, 101.9 LOCAL ACCESS, 102.14 CLACKAMAS LOCAL ACCESS, 104.3 DISCOVERY, 105.2 SHOP NBC, 105.8 TV MART, 106.2 TELEMUNDO, 106.3 JEWELRY, 106.4 KOIN, 107.3 WGN AMERICA, 109.1 KXPG SPANISH, 109.2 KOPB, 109.3 KPDX, 109.4 KPTV, 110.12 LOCAL ACCESS SPANISH, 101.13 LOCAL ACCESS, 113.13-113.13 TV GUIDE, 116.8 LOCAL ACCESS, 116.9 CLACKAMAS LOCAL ACCESS/ARTS, 117.12 US CONN SHOPPING, 117.13 UNIVISION, 117.13, 120.4-120.9 ESPN RADIO

Comcast doesn't document these channels/networks/services. Comcast associates will not "officially" confirm that there are any clear QAM sub-channels. It's Comcast's position that a customer must obtain a DTA or converter box to receive their service.

Comcast documents only the "whole" number assignments provided by their DTAs and converter boxes that "map" these and other "services" to "locations" in Comcast's 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800 and 900 numbering scheme.

I have a very similiar situation. I have a 50'' samsung plasma and do not have a cable box, I do however have Comcast high speed internet.
    I also have a Avermedia volar max usb dongle. Through using the autoscan with coaxil plugged into both devices I pick up channels I know I should not be getting. Such as Espn, Mtv, and at least 12 HD channels. All I am charged for is Internet service from Comcast.

I hope they never fix this!

If they're "in the clear" (unencrypted), it's comcrap's problem, not yours, unless you've removed some sort of filter installed by comcrap, intended to block reception of TV channels.

In some comcrap areas, the channel numbers will occasionally change every few months, at random, and without warning. If they do that, you'll have to re-scan and manually figure out where they moved everything to. Customers renting their proprietary boxes will not see the channel changes, only those using a QAM tuner.

There is no program guide available from comcrap if you're using a QAM tuner, instead of their set top box.

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    If they're "in the clear" (unencrypted), it's comcrap's problem, not yours, unless you've removed some sort of filter installed by comcrap, intended to block reception of TV channels.

In some comcrap areas, the channel numbers will occasionally change every few months, at random, and without warning. If they do that, you'll have to re-scan and manually figure out where they moved everything to. Customers renting their proprietary boxes will not see the channel changes, only those using a QAM tuner.

There is no program guide available from comcrap if you're using a QAM tuner, instead of their set top box.
    So tell me Eureka, how do you feel about Comcast?

Anyway, back to reality... It should be noted that in the terms and conditions for service, in most states, you agree to only tune in the channels you're paying for. Having said that, just don't get used to getting channels you're not paying for: They could go away at anytime, without notice, and you'd have no reason to be aggrieved.

There are no published listings of QAM channel map assignments. The law requires service providers to offer cable converter boxes (which I assume the OP has declined) or CableCARD (which I assume the OP doesn't have use for) to map the QAM frequency allocations to the more familiar cable channel numbers you see the cable company publish lists for.

Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
    ...The law requires service providers to offer cable converter boxes (which I assume the OP has declined) or CableCARD (which I assume the OP doesn't have use for) to map the QAM frequency allocations to the more familiar cable channel numbers...
    The sometimes free or cheaper cableco-provided boxes do remap to the published cableco channel numbers, but not all of them include a program guide.

(Isn't that what I said?)

I was getting the channels with the listing Avrom noted above. A few weeks ago some channels started disappearing (going black)- specifically and most importantly, ESPN. Finally yesterday I went through the hassle of rescanning all of the channels to see where they had moved to. Some shifted up or down slightly, but I still cannot find ESPN.
    We figured out the "QAM" thing when Comcast required us to have digital converter boxes for TVs without a cable box. When I hooked it up I had no way to receive any HD channels, particularly broadcast stations.
    I don't want to go back to the converter box and lose NBC HD, etc. Any tips on how to find these "lost" channels or an updated QAM channel list? Or how to get HD channels with the converter box (Comcast was no help- shockingly!)

Comcast is simply doing what every other service provider has already done.

Blogger: Orry's Orations
    Blog Entries

Nothing is free anymore, not even free TV. There's a cost to everything, so enjoy what you can, while you can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmwitt View Post
    I was getting the channels with the listing Avrom noted above. A few weeks ago some channels started disappearing (going black)- specifically and most importantly, ESPN. Finally yesterday I went through the hassle of rescanning all of the channels to see where they had moved to. Some shifted up or down slightly, but I still cannot find ESPN.
    We figured out the "QAM" thing when Comcast required us to have digital converter boxes for TVs without a cable box. When I hooked it up I had no way to receive any HD channels, particularly broadcast stations.
    I don't want to go back to the converter box and lose NBC HD, etc. Any tips on how to find these "lost" channels or an updated QAM channel list? Or how to get HD channels with the converter box (Comcast was no help- shockingly!)
    Use TV Guide, TV Listings, Online Videos, Entertainment News and Celebrity News | TVGuide.com and enter your zipcode or city, state. Find which channel ESPN is on and try to manually tune to it with your remote. I've had it happen before where a channel was moved, had to do a rescan, but then had to manually add the channel on my TV too. Good luck.

DTVUSA Rookie

It's actually cheaper for Comcast this way. The channels you are receiving are coming in on the portion of the cable band that is unfiltered; this is meant to be for basic service so that all they have to do is come out and physically connect your cable. It's not cost-effective to insert filters for OTA and public access channels, C-SPAN, etc. While channels are now being converted to digital, they are able to cram more channels onto cable including the lower band of your cable that is unfiltered. This probably does not justify additional filtering or encryption as there are still many customers that just want basic cable and do not have TVs with QAM tuners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post

The cable box stopped working in the playroom, no biggie, but now half the channels we do still
    get are either muted or in Spanish!?

Blogger: Orry's Orations
    Blog Entries

Unplug the box, leave it unplugged for about 30 seconds or a full minute for real security, and then plug it back in. It should reset itself to whatever is correct. If not, you'll have to give them a call.