+ Reply to Thread

Default My Cable Company told me that I have to rent a converter box from them???

I was recently told by Cablevision that a converter box purchased from Radio Shack or Best Buy will not work due to differences in the signal.

As an fyi, I've already lost several channels including Travel Channel, TLC & Animal Planet to name a few. In turn, I would need to pick up converter boxes and pay a monthly fee of 6.50. What's up with that???

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tonester2221 View Post
    I was recently told by Cablevision that a converter box purchased from Radio Shack or Best Buy will not work due to differences in the signal.
    This is correct, you cannot use a digital-to-analog converter box designed for reception of "over-the-air" broadcasted digital television channels.

Quote Originally Posted by tonester2221 View Post
    As an fyi, I've already lost several channels including Travel Channel, TLC & Animal Planet to name a few. In turn, I would need to pick up converter boxes and pay a monthly fee of 6.50. What's up with that???
    Wow, it sounds like your Cable/Satellite provider is trying to talk you into renting one of their converter boxes.

Cable and Satellite Providers have been mandated by the government to provide analog television signals for 3 years past the 2009 transition date. So you won't have to do anything to your TV to receive basic cable until 2012.

Also, you shouldn't be losing any of your basic cable channels, regardless of the switch to digital television. You may want to contact your service provider and find out what's going on. A simple answer could be that they have switched channels on some of your programming, or they may possibly be removing some of the channels from their basic cable lineup.

DTVUSA Rookie

So until 2012, a converter box will allow me to access channels such as TLC, Travel, Animal Planet & others which are now gone from my TV?

Administrator
    Blog Entries

If you use a converter box for receiving regular over-the-air television broadcasts, the converter box should last for many years/decades.

If you receive basic cable, you will not have to worry about renting a converter box from the cable company until atleast 2012.

In reference to your question about the channels that are missing, give your cable service provider a call, they'll be able to give you the best answer to this question.

If I remember , cable companies only have to provide first tier programming in analog (usually the bare minimum programming which is usually local affliates and home shopping network stations usually.. it's the least amount mandated by government that the cable companies must offer) with the rest needing convertor boxes (OTA digital and cable digital are two different animals and on a analog tv, you will need their box from what I understand for their cable system)

I got 25 channels or so with my basic cable before I upgraded, so I think you are definitely correct on the minimum for the analog cable.

It is crazy that you are paying for a service in which you are not getting all that you are paying for, and then they come along and tell you that you have to rent additional equipment in order to get all the channels that you are already paying for and should be receiving. This is another way to screw the people and for companies and the government to make more money.