100+ Mile Antennas

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Birdman,

Please add a link to your TV Fool antenna survey result here which will help the group suggest what sort of antenna or antennas to try. Be sure to enter the antenna height. We also need to know the channels you want to receive. Currently, I receive one channel over 75 miles away using a cut-to-channel Yagi, but that may not be the best answer for you.
Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
ProjectSHO89,

I agree to some extent: the advertised reception distance 'promises' on currently available antennas to the public is usually carp.

I am NOT located at a "considerable altitude" here, yet I receive a rock-solid channel (680 kW ERP) from over 75 miles away. In fact, I live in a very compromised location to receive OTA much at all!

I built a specific antenna to receive KVOS-12 (35) and I get them at a solid '65' (see my photo albums here). I also received a CBS translator with a barn-burning 40 watts ERP from 17 miles distance last spring (now bumped to 900 watts). I spoke to both station Chief Engineers and they were both astonished I received them at all.

Look at my 'avatar' here: I live beyond the deadly (no way) 'red-ring', but, I have proven "the impossible here" and I'm not about to stop trying. I hope Birdman and others jump in with both feet and when they capture true HD, they will say WOW with the rest of us.

My new Project is a long 18-bar Yagi to try to capture Canadian channels 90-120 miles away ... stay tuned! I don't like to lose.

Jim

FOX TV

Contributor
Any antenna recommendations for someone 100-105 miles from TV towers? They're all located in a single area too.
www.tvfool.com or www.rabbitears.info data is a must here. In my area, I remember the day when cities almost 100 miles from here had to have huge high gain antennas on 50 foot or better towers. In those days, this was the only market that had TV stations.

100 mile reception is asking a lot, but not impossible, and this is a case where I would possibly recommend an amplifier. This would most likely be a fairly expensive installation compared to most others, but TV FOOL OR RABBIT EAR DATA IS A MUST HAVE !!

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
Greetings Birdman welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

If you don't know how to get us the Chart that has been ask for, then take a look at the first link in my signature "Lookup and Posting Instructions" below.

That's a must have for us to help you, and it's easy to do.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Birdman

DTVUSA Rookie
Here you go fellas. This is about as good as I can do for directions: TV Fool I'm going to take a travel trailer up to Montana and work there for the next year. I can mount something 25' or so on the trailer but that's about it. Looks like I'm 65 miles out for most stations. I may have to get DirecTV or something but I don't want to spend the money unless my company reimburses me.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Birdman,

My first thought would be to use a channel 38 Yagi to receive channels 36,38 and 40 and a channel 49 or 50 Yagi to receive channels 48 and 51. Please take a look at my profile here and check out my Project 38 and 48 antennas. Each cost about $7.50 to build, and they can be built longer for higher gain or to any channel you want. Note how physically small they are which might mean you could raise them higher than your TVFOOL report at 25 feet.

As far as a Commercially built antenna, I think a Channel Master 4228 (old style) might be a good choice because its particularly sensitive between channels 40 and 50 Channel Master 4228 This antenna has been discontinued but they can be found on eBay and Craigslist: currently there is one available in Tacoma, WA on CL for $45 and one in Portland, Oregon for $120.

I hope this helps and it will be interesting to hear other members advice.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Sweet! Wish we had a more exact location, especially if you're in a hilly area. I am not in a position to recommend an antenna for that distance, but it looks like could get the first 6 on the list with a good antenna. I assume you'll be running a staight cable to a single tv? That would minimize loss. With a decent antenna you should be able to make do with no amp.

Ok. Thats the good news. The bad news, these are all analog stations, and only one of them appears to be going digital anytime soon. So you won't be getting a great picture or any subchannels. On the other hand, any old tv with a decent tuner will do!

If you gotta go sat, beware, they want to lock you in to a 24 month commitment. If you gotta do it... Dish is the cheapest:

America’s Top 120 $39.99 or $24.99 a month for 12 months!*
*24 month commitment required

Over 120 of your favorite all-digital channels
Add over 55 HD channels for $10/mo
Add a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for $6/mo
For a limited time add HBO and Showtime FREE for 3 months
Includes locals (where available)

... and since you will be there only 12 months, you will need to have a no commitment deal. That means $40 a month minimum.
Watch those "free" channels, they will charge you for them until you complete the rebate... and that will take about, ummm, 3 months. You could probably live without the DVR and HD upgrades, too. (OUCH! it hurts to tell anyone they might have to get a dish!)

As far as an antenna, I'll leave that to these other guys... what do you guys say?

Last edited:

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Jim has an excellent suggestion with hand-built, tuned antennas, if you're good at metal fab. If you're not (or lack the time), the old CM 4228A was the best choice among UHF antennas before it was discontinued. The new one, the 4228HD, can't hold a candle to it, which in turn raises demand for the old style 4228s such that a used example in good condition is likely to run well north of a hundred bucks with shipping.

I'd recommend considering an Antennas Direct 91XG, aka XG91. It's in current production, and its performance closely tracks that of the old 4228A. Regardless of what you decide to use for an antenna, a low-noise antenna preamp such as CM's Titan 7777 will be in order at that location.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
more exact location than just zip code?

All we have is the zip code lookup here. The call sign lookup for the strongest station he is trying to get is:

K51KO (analog, like all the rest of his channels)

TV Fool

Look at the map. I believe he is SSE of the transmitters, but with only a zip code in that area of the country, you can't be sure. Lets hope he's not in that shadow to the west! And, did you notice it's really close to the canadian border? :canada:

Great stuff, guys. I don't know if BirdMan is willing to build his own antenna for a one year stay... Maybe. But he should have lots of time on his hands with nothing to do in that part of the country! Montana! where men are men and sheep are afraid...

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
Birdman,

I got to be honest with you, I think that's the most pitiful Chart I've ever seen!

Jim has given you some good recommendations there, but, I think I'd go with Don on this one, and get the 91XG by Antennas Direct or Terrestrial Digital.
You're going to need all the Gain you can get, and that 91XG is just about as good as ie gets.

I will differ with Don on the Pre-Amp, again I think you should go with as high a gain as possible, and I'd suggest a Antenna Craft 10G212, which will give you a whopping 30 db, coupled with 16db from the 91XG, and what's available from your OTA at 17db, is going to put you at about 64db which is a fair picture maybe.
I'd say give up on it and go with Satellite, if it weren't for the LOS, and then it's still a LONG way.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Last edited:

gary350

DTVUSA Member
I am receiving one station channel 7 that is 137 miles away. The other 38 stations are 40 miles away and receipts is excellent for all of them except channel 5 = 692 MHz. I have a home built 8 bay antenna. With 2 home built 8 bay antennas connected together channel 5 reception is very good and channel 7 is still good.