??

I have quite a quandry going on in my head. We have three, new this summer, Vizio HDTV televisions with Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuners. These are supposed to be digital, correct? We do not do satellite or cable TV, only normal over the air transmission. Our antennas are Winegard SquareShooter HDTv2s, Model SS-2000s. We are currently receiving digital reception from CBS and PBS, as well as our normal stations. Yet when our local stations offer the "test" to see if you are ready for the switch, all our TVs fail. I don't understand, and am hoping someone can shed some light on this silliness for me. If we are already seeing digital broadcasts, why do we not "pass" the test? Best regards and thanks in advance for all help, Lucy.

Last edited:
I have quite a quandry going on in my head. We have three, new this summer, Vizio HDTV televisions with Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuners. These are supposed to be digital, correct? We do not do satellite or cable TV, only normal over the air transmission. Our antennas are Windegard SquareShooter HDTv2s, Model SS-2000s. We are currently receiving digital reception from CBS and PBS, as well as our normal stations. Yet when our local stations offer the "test" to see if you are ready for the switch, all our TVs fail. I don't understand, and am hoping someone can shed some light on this silliness for me. If we are already seeing digital broadcasts, why do we not "pass" the test? Best regards and thanks in advance for all help, Lucy.
is there a VCR or DVD r or DVD recorder between it and the antenna if so it does not have a digital tuner and caused the failure, remove the device and try and scan again and see if you get the digital stations for them. also they could be UHF digital and if you have a VHF antenna you will not get them or if you have a UHF antenna and they are VHF on digital. if your antenna is both you would have to turn the UHF side to that station in order to recieve it. VHF antennas can receive off the back and sides where UHF it is hard for them to do. go to TV Fool - Home and put in your address and see which channels will be UHF and which VHF then I can tell you what antenna will work also it will tell how far the transmitters are and how strong.

There is a DVD player / recorder and surround sound system between the antenna and the tvs in the house. In the shop, there is the same setup, I think (not my domain.) So the next time they run the test, we just unhook the DVD thing and see what shakes out? I bet we pass the "test" then. Thanks ... will let you know what happens.:)

Just one more thing ....

So I have done some more looking, and I see that the dvd player / recorder is a Magnavox ZC352MW8, a digital video disc recorder (there is NOT one on the shop setup.) Would that still impair the ability to pass the "test" or is it maybe the surround sound system (oldish.) Sorry to be so silly, but I just really have no idea. I hope this is enough info for you. Thanks again for all advice.

So I have done some more looking, and I see that the dvd player / recorder is a Magnavox ZC352MW8, a digital video disc recorder (there is NOT one on the shop setup.) Would that still impair the ability to pass the "test" or is it maybe the surround sound system (oldish.) Sorry to be so silly, but I just really have no idea. I hope this is enough info for you. Thanks again for all advice.
if the dvd recorder does not have a digital tuner it would cause the failure tak it out of the loop with the antenna and hook it to the tv by component cables the red,yellow,white inputs on the recorder and the tv.:)

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I wonder if there's a way to use the tuner within the TV, to output to the DVD recorder, then route back to the TV.....bypassing the tuner within the DVD recorder...

If that makes sense. ;)

Since the Magnavox DVD recorder has a digital tuner, does it still need to be taken off the antennae loop to pass the test? This is so annoying. :( And I am annoyed to feel so dumb!!!

Since the Magnavox DVD recorder has a digital tuner, does it still need to be taken off the antennae loop to pass the test? This is so annoying. :( And I am annoyed to feel so dumb!!!
if the manavox dvd recorder has a digital tuner it needs to be attached to the tv by component cables because you are converting digital to analog with the converter box and the digital tuner on the dvd will not read the analog signal:)

You have such patience to answer all these questions. That being said, I'm not done asking either. How do you know all this stuff??? That wasn't my question. We don't have a converter box unless you are referring to the antenna hookup itself or the three way splitter. Stepson was saying something about a different input that he has to do on his tv that we may have to do also, so I guess that is a direction for us to take also. Have a Happy New Year!! :)

oy sounds like my setup.

I have the following

(Antenna) - Panasonic DMR-EZ28 - Sharp VCR - Motorola VOOM - TV

(V-R-L cables) Shinco 868 - Sharp VCR - Panasonic DMR-EZ28 - TV

The Motorola VOOM box and the Panasonic DMR-EZ28 are the digital tuners.

I prefer watching over the VOOM box since the Panasonic's frame rate is awfully low. (it looks like 28 frames/second interlaced) And sometimes the Panasonic's video looks stuttered. Recording is fine, I was able to put some clips from it on youtube.