17 Kids and Counting: The Duggar Family on TLC

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone seen this reality show on TLC? Wow, caught 3 episodes of it for the first time last night. I was quite critical at first, but, they manage to take care of their kids all on their own income and keep them all in line!

A few facts from the TLC homepage for the Duggars:

Estimated number of Duggar diapers to date is 90,000.

The Duggars do approximately 200 loads of laundry each month.

The Duggars feed their entire brood for less than $2,000 per month.

The only person in the Duggar family whose name doesn't start with "J" is Mom — Michelle.

Every Duggar child learns to play both violin and piano.

The family organizes their household chores by assigning "jurisdictions," so everyone knows exactly what their daily responsibilities are.

The Duggars estimate all the family members combined have worked approximately 39,000 total hours building their new house.

The Duggars are debt free.

casey

DTVUSA Member
I couldn't imagine having a family that size. I wonder how hard it is to remember all of the names of the kids. Heck, I wonder how hard it is to continue coming up with new names that start with J every time one is born.

dtvnerd

DTVUSA Member
I wonder how much money that family spent on hospital bills for all the births combined. I am also wondering what the parents do to earn their income for the family? That has to be one tough job.

If you put your mind to it, and really tried hard, a family that size might be fun to raise. But, if you are the typical American family, that would be the biggest struggle for anyone.

Totally amazing! I think you just learn to adapt. It has to be crazy though. Can you imagine that poor mom--especially when the kids are all grown up and gone--mom and dad won't know what to do with themselves. I am sure she will go through the empty nest syndrome..LOL