1st color tv series

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Always wondered what it was and I finally found the answer at this link Color TV Introduced . Pretty obscure stuff there that few would remember, let alone ever heard of.

Far as mainstream TV series go, lot's of folks think that the TV western 'Bonanza' may have been the first "mainstream" color TV series televised. Bonanza premiered in color in the year 1959 so it's an oldie for sure but there's another "mainstream" color TV series that debuted in 1952 [B/W] and went to color in it's third season in 1954, only there's a catch. While seasons 3 thru 6 were indeed filmed in color, this series was still broadcasting in b/w. Only in the 1960's when the series went into syndication were those episodes shown in color.

The show I'm talking about was...

So with that in mind I guess Bonanza may have been the first mainstream television show televised in color. 'Course what's mainstream is a matter of opinion so...

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Always wondered what it was and I finally found the answer at this link Color TV Introduced . Pretty obscure stuff there that few would remember, let alone ever heard of.
Scratch that. I just read on Wiki and IMDB that the first ever color television series was "The Cisco Kid" which was filmed in color on 16mm film stock and made it's debut in 1950 and unlike The Adventures of Superman, The Cisco Kid did air in color. I'll also add that The Cisco Kid can be viewed on both Netflix and Hulu as well as The Retro Television Network. Another early mainstream tv series which aired in color was "The Lone Ranger" for it's final season in 1956.

AG99

DTVUSA Member
Interestingly, the US was the first country to broadcast in color (1950), while Cuba was the second (1953). Japan was a distant third (1960). Zimbabwe is the last (1984).

I have read that their was a show called Norby which starred David Wayne and premiered in 1955. It was filmed in color mainly because KODAK was one of their sponsors. Most people back then didn't know it was filmed and broadcast in color because they had black and white TV's but it is a forgotten show because it didn't last long at all. Supposedly, it was the very first sitcom shown in color.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
When watching reruns, you can't rely always on whether or not it was color or b/w. I remember when Laredo aired on a local channel in syndication here. During the first go around, several eps appeared in b/w. Then, poof, on the next go around, there were in color. It was really odd but that's what happened.

Just thought I'd remind folks that with the color invasion way back when, one show backed up on it. Wagon Train was b/w, then expanded itself to 90 minutes and color, and then for its last season, reverted back to both an hour and b/w. Don't know that any other series did that.