2 Network stations disappear!

cameraz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Can anybody here with Comcast TV service help me out? I live in Western Massachusetts.

I recently bought a Samsung HD TV. I have basic cable service. With a direct connection to cable (no box), I was able to receive digital channels 22-1 (NBC), 40-1 (ABC), 40-2 (FOX) and 41-1 (CBS), as well as many others.

Yesterday, my digital FOX and CBS stations disappeared (although they are still available on analog channels 3 and 6).

The funny thing is, I have another HD television (a Toshiba), and I am still receiving digital FOX and CBS channels, although they are now on 41-1 and 41-2, respectively.

I rescanned the channels on the Samsung, but 40-2 and 41-1 no longer show up (as well as the CBS weather channel, which I believe was 42-1).

Anybody else have the same thing happen to them?

I repeat: My other digital television (the Toshiba) using the same cable system still picks up the digital FOX and CBS channels, but the Samsung does not.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I might be way off base here but it sounds like you are receiving both basic cable and Over The Air (OTA) broadcasts. It's possible to do this if you live near the transmitters without even having an antenna, but leaking in the cable.

So is that what you are doing? Watching cable channels and digital OTA TV?

cameraz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I might be way off base here but it sounds like you are receiving both basic cable and Over The Air (OTA) broadcasts. It's possible to do this if you live near the transmitters without even having an antenna, but leaking in the cable.

So is that what you are doing? Watching cable channels and digital OTA TV?
I doubt this is happening here, because I live too far from our local NBC station to receive its signal OTA (I hooked up an indoor antenna and couldn't receive it) but when hooked up to cable I definitely get the high-definition channel.

What bugs me is that those two stations (FOX and CBS) have disappeared from one high-def TV, but not the other. How come?

Piggie

Super Moderator
I doubt this is happening here, because I live too far from our local NBC station to receive its signal OTA (I hooked up an indoor antenna and couldn't receive it) but when hooked up to cable I definitely get the high-definition channel.

What bugs me is that those two stations (FOX and CBS) have disappeared from one high-def TV, but not the other. How come?
Ok, then were you receiving them on QAM? I don't use cable so someone else probably get a lot closer to your problem than me.

cameraz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Bad news!

I just did a channel rescan of my Toshiba HD television, and those two channels that disappeared from the Samsung TV have also disappeared from the Toshiba! So now I know it's not a problem with the Samsung TV, it's f***en Comcast!

What a pain in the ass.

Meanwhile, I also have DirecTv, and I am trying to decide which one I will choose to upgrade my service to high def. The only reason I still have Comcast cable at all is for Internet service and local channels. However, now you can get local channels on DirecTv, so I may drop the comcast cable.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Sounds like you're receiving channels via clear QAM. Note that QAM frequency allocations change frequently. You need to rescan regularly, and depending on the specific QAM tuner in your television, you may need to double-rescan. And you will need to do this on every television for which you're receiving service via clear QAM.

Reallocating QAM frequencies is standard practice, addressing the need to rebalance and redress concerns from subscribers related to 2 muxing and 3 muxing. Regular rescanning is something all cable customers receiving service via clear QAM should be doing.

cameraz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Sounds like you're receiving channels via clear QAM. Note that QAM frequency allocations change frequently. You need to rescan regularly, and depending on the specific QAM tuner in your television, you may need to double-rescan. And you will need to do this on every television for which you're receiving service via clear QAM.

Reallocating QAM frequencies is standard practice, addressing the need to rebalance and redress concerns from subscribers related to 2 muxing and 3 muxing. Regular rescanning is something all cable customers receiving service via clear QAM should be doing.

Hi,

I have rescanned both TVs, and the two high-def channels have disappeared completely -- they have not been reassigned to another location. It sucks.

I rescanned the channels on the Samsung, but 40-2 and 41-1 no longer show up (as well as the CBS weather channel, which I believe was 42-1).

I repeat: My other digital television (the Toshiba) using the same cable system still picks up the digital FOX and CBS channels, but the Samsung does not.
It sounds to me like a combination if ingress and a reshuffling of the frequencies used by your cable company.

Ingress means that an over the air signal is leaking into the cable and causing interference with the digital channels that happen to be on the same frequencies.