5.1 surround down-converted to 2.0 stereo on KTVU (channel 702) in SF - XFinity

I recorded "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" last week on FOX and was suprised to find that the audio was recorded in 2.0 stereo rather than 5.1 surround. In San Francisco, FOX (KTVU) is on cable HD channel 702. I then looked back through older recordings, and determined this issue has been going on for months. Every FOX program recorded prior to 4/18/16 had 5.1 audio, every FOX program recorded after 4/24/16 had 2.0 audio. I also tested this using an OTA tuner for KTVU on channel 2.1, and it is broadcasting 5.1 audio. Comcast is clearly down-converting the audio from 5.1 surround to 2.0 stereo.

So far, this is only occuring on one channel. I don't have an Xfinity cable box. I'm using a TiVo Roamio with a cable card. I'm curious if this issue is also affecting cable box users. I expect it is. I tried calling Comcast support, but they didn't know what 5.1 surround was, and merely wanted to reset my cable card. If I can say this issue also affects Xfinity cable boxes, perhaps I can convince them the problem is on their end.

This question, "5.1 surround down-converted to 2.0 stereo on KTVU (channel 702) in SF," is about XFinity-Comcast TV television equipment.

For other news regarding 5.1 surround down-converted to 2.0 stereo on KTVU (channel 702) in SF, and XFinity - Comcast television equipment, see our recommended stories below.