9 Years After 9/11, Public Safety Radio Not Ready

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/business/07rescue.html?_r=2&ref=technology

From the article:

WASHINGTON — "The inability of most firefighters and police officers to talk to each other on their radios on Sept. 11, 2001, at the World Trade Center — one of the most vexing problems on that day nine years ago — still has not been completely resolved." ...

The problem, highlighted in the 9/11 Commission Report, was seen again in 2005 after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Public safety officers from different jurisdictions arrived at the scene of those disasters only to find that, unable to communicate with each other by radio, they had to resort to running handwritten notes between command centers." ...

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Amateur Radio, OTA TV and Radio, and hand-held FRS radios. That's my emergency communications plan!

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Text from the article regarding Hurricane Katrina states: "...they had to resort to running handwritten notes between command centers" ...

That sounds like the Civil War days and should be deemed absurd in the 21st Century, but it is fact. It shows how fragile our emergency communications network STILL remains. Everyone reading should also know cell phones cannot be counted on during a crisis: very few cell towers have any backup power source whereas many OTA Television transmitters have diesel generator power backup.

If the emergency workers cannot communicate with each other, just how likely will important information get to the general public?

Pogi is correct and I add, a $5 CB radio purchased on craigslist still works too...

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The CB may not be a bad idea, however, its only useful if others in your area have one. It's not the 70's anymore.

Now, if your Neighborhood Emergency Preparedness Plan - You DO have one, right? (Oops, I forgot, you don't live in a Mormon community) leaders get together and buys up a few of them, you're onto something.

Pogi, aka "sundance" on channel 14, good buddy.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Mr. Pogi,

I have 4 channel-matched crystal-controlled 'old-fashioned' CB sets with 12VDC lighter plugs and magnet-mount antennas ready to use in an instant: perhaps a 'caravan' down the highway towing racecars or the need for communicating if something sinister happens. Funny thing is they are also setup (if necessary) to work outside the usual CB band. Shades of the Y2K worries, I guess.

Jim

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
The problem is we never think it will happen. We still don't. Americans just have this nonchalant attitude. We forget remarkably fast and that's part of the problem. If we didn't, this issue wouldn't be an issue and wouldn't have been after the first year.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Seemed to be a lot of communication problems on 9/11. Jet fighters from Langley AFB were finally dispatched about the time the Pentagon was hit and those pilots flew out over the Atlantic Ocean thinking we were being attacked by cruise missles from the sea.

Talk about a communication problem.

The whole world knew we were being attacked by hijacked planes at that point but not them Langley pilots. No sir.