A history of subchannels

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Let's try and put together a history of OTA sub-channels before those channels and origins are lost in history.

Best as I can figure the first OTA sub-channel was one called "Good TV" which featured classic TV shows and was owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group. Good TV only lasted from 2006-2008 before folding. Were there earlier sub-channels?

What was the second, third, forth, etc. OTA sub-channel?
Or what's the oldest sub-channel still in existence?
Or share a list of defunct sub-channels, or sub-channel types like movies, classic tv, cartoons, etc.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I don't know if you would even count Good TV since, to my knowledge, it ONLY ran on WBFF in Baltimore.

The Tube, RTN, LATV, WeatherPlus, and ABC NewsNow were among the oldest that I know of. The first stations to use subchannels typically did so to add UPN or WB to a market. In my area, WJPR-DT (now WWCW) signed on in 2002 airing WB, while the analog continued airing Fox programming.

Oh, and PBS You/PBS Kids.

Here's my list from mid-2008: RabbitEars.Info

- Trip

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I don't know if you would even count Good TV since, to my knowledge, it ONLY ran on WBFF in Baltimore.

The Tube, RTN, LATV, WeatherPlus, and ABC NewsNow were among the oldest that I know of. The first stations to use subchannels typically did so to add UPN or WB to a market. In my area, WJPR-DT (now WWCW) signed on in 2002 airing WB, while the analog continued airing Fox programming.

Oh, and PBS You/PBS Kids.

Here's my list from mid-2008: RabbitEars.Info

- Trip
That's a rather intimidating list of sub-channels from your website there, Trip. It looks like there may be no easy answer to the question of what was the very first sub-channel. I did find a list of all over-the-air channels in the United States on Wikipedia but it doesn't make mention of which ones are or were sub-channels.

Here's their list...
List of United States over-the-air television networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I tried searching for a list of OTA sub-channels only on the Bing search engine and their results page actually said something along the lines of "no such website exist." Ain't that the "Bleep."