A new Network is launching 01/01/11

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
The mysterious powers of the all-powerful Oprah Winfrey - Zap2it

From the article:

... "With news that the daytime talk queen is leaving her syndicated show to run her new network, OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network), we can only imagine what lies ahead." ...

Five new shows announced for Oprah's OWN network | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times

From an older article:

April 8, 2010 / 9:45 am
"Oprah Winfrey has timed the launch of her new TV channel, OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network, for Jan. 1 -- perfect to tap into all those new year's resolutions and the wishful thinking that comes with the start of a new year." ... OWN TV

From her new network website:

Oprah's search for the next TV star ... Win a spot on a new reality TV series, Your OWN Show on OWN! - OWN TV

For earlier DTVUSA Forum posts about Oprah, click here: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/general-tv-chat/14416-goodbye-oprah.html

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
Well okay then. Oprah isn't just vanishing into thin air after all :) This is my cup of tea, but she knows her audience and I'm guessing it will be successful. But we'll have to wait and see.

I consider this a pretty smart move for Oprah to make, even if her new channel (and her old show for that matter) are not of interest to me in particular. There certainly should be a wide audience for this Network, especially when a celebrity of Oprah's stature has her name attached to it.

So hey, kudos to her for a smart business decision!

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I actually agree with that. Her imprint is still there. Now she doesn't have to be the center of the attention while still retaining the power. She has the money to give the network a chance to catch on too.

Oprah could put her name on pretty much anything, and it'd probably generate interest...so her having her own television makes an awful lot of sense, and honestly I am even a little bit surprised that she didn't try to make a move like this sooner.

But yeah, it's pretty easy to predict how this new channel could turn out to be a big hit...and Oprah really is a genius when it comes to marketing, and that's another thing that is always going to help.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
This is so very true. When you have her credentials, anything is possible. I think there will be a lot of great things on the network, but I'm not sure it's my style.