ABC KGO-TV (ch. 7) San Francisco...Gone

ZachT

DTVUSA Jr. Member
KGO-TV San Francisco just wiped out much of their non-cable getting viewership today with a digital antenna transmission fix that will take more than a month.

I'm within eyeshot of the Sutro transmission tower ( S.F.'s Sunset District) There's a big possibility that it will not return or improve reception locally either.

Can't believe they didn't have a back up plan or accommodation for this---wonder if their advertisers know this?

Zach

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
KGO-TV San Francisco just wiped out much of their non-cable getting viewership today with a digital antenna transmission fix that will take more than a month.

I'm within eyeshot of the Sutro transmission tower ( S.F.'s Sunset District) There's a big possibility that it will not return or improve reception locally either.

Can't believe they didn't have a back up plan or accommodation for this---wonder if their advertisers know this?

Zach
What happened or was it planned? and welcome to the forum! :thumb:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
What happened or was it planned? and welcome to the forum! :thumb:
KGO-TV, VHF 7 has switched to our Auxiliary antenna while our Main Antenna is being replaced at the top of Sutro Tower.

Viewer reception will vary depending on your distance from the transmitting tower.

We will operate from the Auxiliary Antenna through approximately July 15th.

Evening reception will be normal after mid-July, but will vary when we broadcast from our auxillary antenna 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday on days when crews are working on the top of the tower to replace the other 2 large antennas serving other stations.

We expect indoor antenna reception to improve with our new main antenna. Reception will vary until the Sutro antenna project is completed in October 2009.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We appreciate your patience as we work through this antenna transition.

abc7news.com: FAQ: Digital Television Transition

Joel Schectman

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hi I am a reporter with BusinessWeek doing a story on the the digital transition. I would really like to talk to those of you who have been having trouble with their television reception since the transition.

You can email me at commentstojoel@gmail.com

Joel Schectman

PS you can see my last article on the digital transition here.

ZachT

DTVUSA Jr. Member
We apologize for the inconvenience. We appreciate your patience as we work through this antenna transition.

abc7news.com: FAQ: Digital Television Transition
Why now? KGO-TV has had since Feb. to do this bit of high-wire transmission refocusing.

Again let me mention I'm within direct sight of the tower. Apparently anything between Sutro & the ocean isn't important enough.

Either that or this is all one big Comcast conspiracy :)

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I suspect we'll see more of this. Stations have a vested interest in this digital thing and whether or not it works. IF we can't see their stations, their ratings are going to tank. I've been saying that all along.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I suspect we'll see more of this. Stations have a vested interest in this digital thing and whether or not it works. IF we can't see their stations, their ratings are going to tank. I've been saying that all along.
Orry, good point, but I banking on the cable and satellite networks still supplying 88 to 90 % of the house holds that don't experience these problems.

I absolutely have found no evidence the cable or sat providers lobbied, gave money or otherwise stuck their nose in the DTV Transition. They were more in a position of watching at the hangman's rope was reeled out. All they had to do was watch, then hit the air with ads. They simply are taking advantage of a niche they already had, poor OTA reception. It was actually and I am sure you remember Orry that the original purpose to get cable TV was not to cable networks, but to get locals without an antenna or for those that any antenna gave only a snowy picture. Cable only networks came later. So I see no conspiracy on the cable company's part. They are just using their original niche again.

That said, in smaller markets Dish Network is starting to eat away at cable subscribers. Dish is pulling ahead of DirecTV in having locals in the over 100 market range. Here in Gainesville (an over 100 market) Cable went from about 90% to 60 some percent over the last year here as Dish rolled out Gainesville locals and OTA came on the air. OTA took about 7% of the total they didn't have and Dish took the reaming 20 some percent. I don't have data on how many DirecTV lost but I am sure with Dish getting locals and DirecTV not, they also probably lost 20% of their customers to Dish.

There are also predictions now after the "Hidden Transition" is in full bloom, that OTA could loose up to 5% of the total viewers, about what it grew in the last 4 years because of DTV. Other factors are in play, like people having money again and turning back on pay TV, and Satellite and Cable going full bandwidth MPEG4, living OTA again as an old technology.

SAFW

DTVUSA Rookie
I just spent half an hour on the roof fine-tuning the antenna and could not get the slightest hint of signal from KGO. It worked perfectly on Wednesday night, but last night: nada.

I'm in San Mateo, about 20 miles from the transmitting tower, with direct line of sight. Disappointing.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I just spent half an hour on the roof fine-tuning the antenna and could not get the slightest hint of signal from KGO. It worked perfectly on Wednesday night, but last night: nada.

I'm in San Mateo, about 20 miles from the transmitting tower, with direct line of sight. Disappointing.
what type or kind of antenna do you have?

SAFW

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi Piggie,

The antenna I have in place is a ClearStream 2 Long-Range HDTV Outdoor Antenna from Antennas Direct. It worked for KGO perfectly last weekend, with a signal intensity of 82/100 according to my TiVo diagnostic. Today I get 0/100 after numerous manipulations. I can only see the top masts of Sutro tower, as Mt San Bruno is directly between me and Sutro. I'm guessing the aux antenna is lower on the tower...

Piggie

Super Moderator
Hi Piggie,

The antenna I have in place is a ClearStream 2 Long-Range HDTV Outdoor Antenna from Antennas Direct. It worked for KGO perfectly last weekend, with a signal intensity of 82/100 according to my TiVo diagnostic. Today I get 0/100 after numerous manipulations. I can only see the top masts of Sutro tower, as Mt San Bruno is directly between me and Sutro. I'm guessing the aux antenna is lower on the tower...
The main antenna is 287 meters up the tower and the aux is only 62.3 meters up.

They broadcast on RF channel 7, at the bottom of the high band VHF spectrum. Your antenna is not designed to work on VHF. Any VHF you pick up is a bonus because it's strong. The lower the VHF number the harder your antenna has picking it up.

But if it worked before then you might as well wait for them to fix the main antenna, instead of considering ordering and putting up a second antenna it appears you might not need once repairs are complete.

I would wait until they finish the work before deciding if there is another solution.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
The main antenna is 287 meters up the tower and the aux is only 62.3 meters up.

They broadcast on RF channel 7, at the bottom of the high band VHF spectrum. Your antenna is not designed to work on VHF. Any VHF you pick up is a bonus because it's strong. The lower the VHF number the harder your antenna has picking it up.

But if it worked before then you might as well wait for them to fix the main antenna, instead of considering ordering and putting up a second antenna it appears you might not need once repairs are complete.

I would wait until they finish the work before deciding if there is another solution.
Yeah, at 20 miles out, he could possibly (I want to overemphasize "possibly") still pick up that VHF station on his current antenna. I've got a cheap UHF only indoor myself here in L.A. and it works just fine for most of the VHF channels, though must of them I don't watch anyway.

Piggie

Super Moderator
yeah the fact he picks them up on the main tower means just wait for repairs to finish. I think I read somewhere it will be donw by mid July? Something about them switching back to the main tower at night when workers are not up there? Wish I remember where I read that.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I have KGO channel 7, it works fine and I have no cable. I have a digital tuner in my TV.
Thanks for letting us know NoCableGuy. For members and non-members of the forum who live in the SF area, approximately how far away are you from KGO towers? Are you using an indoor or outdoor antenna?

NoCableGuy

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for letting us know NoCableGuy. For members and non-members of the forum who live in the SF area, approximately how far away are you from KGO towers? Are you using an indoor or outdoor antenna?

From serrching atennaweb, I am 11 miles away from the towers. I use a $10 indoor atenna from RCA . The OP is from San Mateo which is probably 15 miles away from San Francisco.

You might have already figured this out, but it'd because KGO is now broadcasting on a VHF frequency (7) vs the old UHF (24) they were using prior to the transition.

Hence, if you have a UHF antenna, you're probably not getting ch7 (VHF) very well. That's my problem. I'm 45mi away (San Jose) and while I got KGO perfectly before the switch, I don't get it at all now (1-2 bars on vista media center).

Wondering if I can add a 2nd antenna (add a UHF), and merge the two signals on the roof?