ABC's 'Nashville': Fun, but not so fresh

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Recently, I wrote about NBC's new show, Chicago Fire. It is one I am enjoying regularly, even though shows that have continuous plots requiring weekly viewing in order not to miss anything are ones I'm not thrilled with anymore. However, that show as well as ABC's Nashville have piqued my interest enough to keep on viewing the show, either live or via DVR. Okay, I admit it. I am so sick of commercials, I tend to DVR almost everything!

Quite honestly, though, I'm a little surprised that I am still tuned in because nighttime show is more like a daytime drama than Chicago Fire is. That said, there is some kind of odd lure to the story that when accompanied by the pretty darn good music it features makes it work. However, in the most recent hour, there wasn't as much music as has been in the past. We did have a very nice full song, but then there were just little tidbits here and there and perhaps as no coincidence, I did fast forward quite a bit, something I had not done in the past.

While I tend to like watching Connie Britton as country singer veteran Rayna Jaymes, I am weary of her inability to get her life in order. She has one of those contentious relationships with her former lover and guitarist, Deacon (Charles Eston), while struggling to save her marriage to Eric Close's Teddy Conrad character. I am turned off by Conrad's on-off again relationship with Peggy, played by Kimberly Williams-Paisley. It's all so routine and standard. You could guess what is going to happen. Britton and Close are actually fun to watch together, and I'd rather stay tuned to see them renew their fledgling marriage than watch the usual affairs and predictable behavior. That's yawn-worthy.

Elsewhere in the show, Hayden Panettiere as Juliette Barnes, the singing sensation with Lindsay Lohan type of troubles, is still fascinating to watch because along with her dumb, self-involved moves, she has shown herself to be human. She's growing and evolving. She just happens to be someone who has a troubled past. She may be more real than the Rayna character, in fact.

I like Nashville, but its stories are more soapy, especially the young music wannabees who separate because he gets propositioned for success, so to speak. She then ends up letting her male co-writer move in. It's only a matter of time until they get together, especially since he already likes her. The writing is on the wall, in fact, as to how this whole story will go. It's been done, much too often.

Still, I'm watching, at least for now. They need to get back to the music. If I end up fast forwarding like I did this week, the writing could be on the wall.