? about amplifying tv signals

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Can I put one of those Radio Shack 10 db uhf pre-amps in line with a distribution amp?

Right now I'm using a 10 db uhf/vhf/fm distribution amp in-line before a 3 way splitter and it seems to work well. If I add a pre-amp (before the distribution amp) will it cause signal overload? I live just a few miles outside of Dayton, Ohio so we do get some strong tv signals from there.

Should add that I had one of those Radio Shack pre-amps years ago and it worked good with very little channel bleed over. Just wondering if both amps will work together here or if it would result in amplification overkill. Or should I ditch the distribution amp and go with a pre-amp only?

Thanks

Can I put one of those Radio Shack 10 db uhf pre-amps in line with a distribution amp?

Right now I'm using a 10 db uhf/vhf/fm distribution amp in-line before a 3 way splitter and it seems to work well. If I add a pre-amp (before the distribution amp) will it cause signal overload? I live just a few miles outside of Dayton, Ohio so we do get some strong tv signals from there.

Should add that I had one of those Radio Shack pre-amps years ago and it worked good with very little channel bleed over. Just wondering if both amps will work together here or if it would result in amplification overkill. Or should I ditch the distribution amp and go with a pre-amp only?

Thanks
the power injector for the pre amp must be behind the spliter. you would be better to add a good channelmaster or wineguard pre amp and get rid of the distribution amp all radio shack amps have a high noise level which impedes signal quality. so ditch the radio shack amps and invest in a good pre amp channel master 7777 or one of that quality.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Thanks for the recommendation!

I looked up the CM 7777 and it does look impressive and will definitely purchase one early next year.

Thought I'd share some of the specs for the readers
here...

VHF Gain:*** 23 dB
VHF Noise Figure:*** 2.8 dB
Switchable FM Trap
UHF Gain:*** 26 dB
UHF Noise Figure:*** 2.0 dB

Plus it has separate inputs for both a vhf and uhf antenna. Lots of gain and a super low noise figure sounds great. And the price isn't bad at around $65.00.

Thanks again!

Last edited: