Abuse of the DTV Coupon Program

DE21

DTVUSA Rookie
I've been following the transition for a few years now and one thing completely irks me about the converter box coupon program. Why didn't Congress make some exclusions for who can apply? It astounds me to read so many people applying for these coupons on Electronics and gadgets forums who have no need for assistance and questions like "how come I can't find a converter box with a HDMI connection"? Call me old fashioned but if you're able to walk and hold out your hand for money, you probably don't need it. This is costing taxpayers billions of dollars. DTV is just another fleecing of Americans by Congress.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I've been following the transition for a few years now and one thing completely irks me about the converter box coupon program. Why didn't Congress make some exclusions for who can apply? It astounds me to read so many people applying for these coupons on Electronics and gadgets forums who have no need for assistance and questions like "how come I can't find a converter box with a HDMI connection"? Call me old fashioned but if you're able to walk and hold out your hand for money, you probably don't need it. This is costing taxpayers billions of dollars. DTV is just another fleecing of Americans by Congress.
Congress passed the stimulus bill to pull money out of your pocket and mine to put it into the economy. Approximately 60% of the US population was against the stimulus package. The $40.00 coupon program is part of the stimulus package. To exclude anyone from receiving the stimulus money would have slowed down what the Government had intended. Getting money into the system. It had nothing to do with the poor needy people.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
By your account, should I forgo collecting my tax return because I made more money this year. It's not like I need it. :rolleyes:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Congress passed the stimulus bill to pull money out of your pocket and mine to put it into the economy. Approximately 60% of the US population was against the stimulus package. The $40.00 coupon program is part of the stimulus package. To exclude anyone from receiving the stimulus money would have slowed down what the Government had intended. Getting money into the system. It had nothing to do with the poor needy people.
Don't forget, before the delay bill and the one that gave more money to the coupon program, it was funded from some of the money obtained from auctioning off channels 52-69

It was when they ran out of money, they took funds from the stimulus package.