Accessing Roku Remotely Through SlingBox

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Is there any content on Roku that can't be accessed directly on a PC, smartphone, or tablet? Say, for example, you had a Roku 3 at home and a SlingBox PRO HD with an extra unused port, would there be any reason to connect the Roku to the SlingBox PRO HD? One thing that came to my mind would be the ability to select Audio Only on the Sling Player on a smartphone. That would reduce the amount of data being used and probably reduce the drain on the battery. Other than than, I am hard pressed to come up with a reason to "sling" from Roku. What you my fellow members here think?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Some of the content on Roku may not be available with a computer, it is only accessible via the Roku channels. I don't have specific examples, because I haven't tried to watch Roku channel content on a computer. In theory, everything available on Roku is on the internet and should be available on computer. But it would be much easier to find and access from a Roku!

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
A couple of points:
1. I don't think a Sling Box HD can accept more than one input at a time, regardless of source type - an open port does not mean it is usable.
2. Does the Sling Box have an IR driver to be able to control the Roku?
3. If the output from the Roku is the same type as the input on the Sling Box, there is no reason why it could not be used to narrowcast to the internet, but if #2. is not met you will be unable to control it remotely.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
A couple of points:
1. I don't think a Sling Box HD can accept more than one input at a time, regardless of source type - an open port does not mean it is usable.
2. Does the Sling Box have an IR driver to be able to control the Roku?
3. If the output from the Roku is the same type as the input on the Sling Box, there is no reason why it could not be used to narrowcast to the internet, but if #2. is not met you will be unable to control it remotely.
Thank you for the reply. Since posting this I have learned that the Roku 3 has Bluetooth remote control, not RF/UHF or IR. It looks like the Roku 1 might be compatible with a Sling Box, because it looks like it does use IR. The Sling Box PRO HD shows four sources on my app, but only three can be configured. They are: COAX, Composite, S Video, and Component. Currently, I have COAX set up for ANTENNA (as opposed to cable, IIRC), Composite (for DISH 722k TV 2 output), and Component for DISH 722k TV 1 output.