Active 3D vs Passive 3D?

U

Unregistered

I'm going to be looking at purchasing a new 3D HDTV this year. Currently researching what's available and what type of specs I'm going to want, and I happened to notice that there were two different styles of 3D available.

What's the difference between active 3D and passive 3D, and which one should I go with? I have two kids, at 5 and 9 years old, so I'd like to choose something that's easier on their eyes with the least amount of eye strain possible.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The biggest differences are active glasses cost more (sometimes a lot more) and passive has a lower resolution to each eye (720p instead of 1080p).
Here's an article that discusses the differences:
Active 3D vs. passive 3D: What's better? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

I've seen both, and noticed very little difference. I would find a TV showroom where you can compare both types, viewing at about the same distance from the screen as you would be at home. Myself, I would go for the passive, just because the cost of buying enough active glasses for a movie night with friends would be pretty high.

G

Ged1s

The biggest differences are active glasses cost more (sometimes a lot more) and passive has a lower resolution to each eye (720p instead of 1080p).
Here's an article that discusses the differences:
Active 3D vs. passive 3D: What's better? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

I would go for the passive, just because the cost of buying enough active glasses for a movie night with friends would be pretty high.
Wait so active glasses are one time use? you throw them in trash after watching a movie? At least it sounded like it :D

if you are going to spend the money for 3d do not even begin wasting it on passive tech. There are TV's being offered that provide passive 3D viewing WITHOUT glasses so why would you pay $1500+ for a TV that to be honest ONLY adds depth and you have to wear glasses..... Active 3D protrudes from the Tv and actually puts you in the action. There is no question passive 3D is simply a waste of money

I have 42 kdl w 804a 3d tv .I didn't get full effective 3d movie why? I have to used extranal dard drive for the wach 3d movie download from torrent so please give me idia how to used 42 kdl w408a full effective to wach 3d tv