Question: ADDING CHANNEL non-function

My TV is a Durabrand (aka Sensui, aka Orion) DTV1907. There's an intriguing item in the "DIGITAL SETUP" menu labeled "ADDING CHANNEL." I can't get it to do a thing. I finally was able to download a manual from the following site:
Download Sansui DTV1907 Owner's Manual English - Device Manuals

So you don't have to go to the trouble, here are the instructions for the "ADDING CHANNEL" function ([1] through [6] are there just for context):

--------------------

TO ADD/DELETE CHANNELS (DIGITAL MODE)
[1] Press MENU/ENTER in the digital mode.
[2] Press [UP ARROW] or [DOWN ARROW] to select DIGITAL SETUP, then press [RIGHT ARROW].
[3] When DIGITAL SETUP menu appears, press [UP ARROW] or [DOWN ARROW] to select ADD/DELETE and press [RIGHT ARROW].
[4] Select the desired channel to be memorized or deleted using [UP ARROW] or [DOWN ARROW]. Press [LEFT ARROW] or [RIGHT ARROW] select “ADD” or “DELETE”, whichever function you want to perform.
[5] Repeat step 5 {they mean step 4, surely} for other channels you want to add or delete, then press ENTER.
[6] Press MENU/ENTER until the menu screen is cleared.

TO ADD A DIGITAL CHANNEL
Select the channel you want to add. Press [UP ARROW] or [DOWN ARROW] to select “ADDING CHANNEL” as in step 4 above, then press [RIGHT ARROW].

--------------------

I substituted text for their [ARROW] graphics, but I think the meaning is as clear as possible. I still can't get "ADDING CHANNEL" to do a $^%! thing. I followed the instructions in approximately a thousand different ways/interpretations, on dozens of different channels -- real, virtual, leading zeros, analog, digital, BEFORE and AFTER selecting "ADDING CHANNEL," channel 26.3 when it didn't scan in, but 26.1, 2 and 4 did scan in, BEFORE and AFTER going into the menus, yadayadayada, blah, blah, blah. Nada, zip, zilch, goose egg.

I bought the set a few months after the digital transition. I don't believe it's supported any more. Anyone got any ideas before I throw the TV out the window?? :evil:

TIA,
Rick

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
It would seem that the add/delete function is the same as the show/hide function on other TVs. In other words you can only "add" channels that have already been scanned into the memory of the TV. I know that other TVs, such as my Vizio, let you add a channel by simply tuning to the RF channel the channel, or channels, are broadcast on, and my DTVpal DVR will let me add a channel in a similar manner.

Do you know that 26.3 actually exists as a visible channel. The PSIP tags may skip a number. KMGH in my area had the PSIP tag for their 7.2 set at 7.27 until they added 7.3 and 7.4.

Last edited:
No, the OTHER one

It would seem that the add/delete function is the same as the show/hide function on other TVs. In other words you can only "add" channels that have already been scanned into the memory of the TV.
Yes, that's the add/delete function. That's not my question. I'm trying to find out about the "ADDING CHANNEL" function, which is a different line in the menu. I can use the ADD/DELETE function; that works fine. I can't make the "ADDING CHANNEL" function do anything at all. It simply says "PLEASE WAIT" for about five seconds, then stops saying "PLEASE WAIT" and goes back to the menu just as it was before I pressed [RIGHT ARROW] to select "ADDING CHANNEL." Channel lineup remains the same. Far as I can tell -- EVERYTHING remains the same.

I know that other TVs, such as my Vizio, let you add a channel by simply tuning to the RF channel the channel, or channels, are broadcast on, and my DTVpal DVR will let me add a channel in a similar manner.
That would be outstanding. Please make my TV do that. :hungry:

Do you know that 26.3 actually exists as a visible channel.
Yes, I know that. It's MeTV -- watch it all the time. It just didn't scan in that one time. I've done maybe 40 or 50 rescans, trying to learn all the capabilities of the TV and different antennas. (I was a hacker in another life.)

Here is why I'm intrigued by the mysterious "ADDING CHANNEL" function: If it really just shows/hides channels already scanned into the lineup, then it's duplicating exactly what the ADD/DELETE function does. That seems unlikely. So it almost HAS to literally ADD one or more digital channels. I mean, despite the typos, the manual actually seems to have been written by someone whose first language is English. What else could ADDING CHANNEL mean??

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood. My 4221HD hasn't arrived. :mad:

Rick

Last edited:
Things are looking UP! :cheers:

I'm in a good mood now, so maybe 10 times as obnoxious. :cheesy:

And, your missing ME-TV. That would make me cranky!
Naaaaaaaaah, that was scan number 22. WAIT -- 23 -- lemme check my notes. ;) It was just gone for a little while till I did a rescan.

Have you tried doing a "double rescan" where you disconnect the antenna, do a channel scan to clear the memory banks, and then reconnect the antenna and scan for channels a second time?
I figgered it out. I normally wasn't entering the .1 suffix when entering real channels. I read something somewhere that made me think it wasn't necessary, and the few times I did enter .1, it just went to either nothing (not enough signal that day) or to a previously mapped virtual channel. There's a LOT of conflicts there, what with Chicago to the south and Milwaukee to the north.

So then when I entered .1 for a real channel, ADDING CHANNEL STILL doesn't do anything, cause it immediately puts whatever it finds in the lineup memory. Hence, there's nothing to add. But I solved it anyway. Switched over to my cable bleed, where there are dozens of encrypted channels, entered one of those, did the ADDING CHANNEL bit, and it went into the lineup. So I got the goofy function to DO SOMEthing. :cool:

Probably there are weird cases where this function becomes useful. I can think of some, just haven't seen 'em yet. It sure would have been helpful if they ran through one example in the manual. There's no mention whatsoever of "real" channels in the manual, nor the fact it's possible to enter them -- assuming it doesn't conflict with a virtual already in the lineup.

Anyway, now I have the ability to add individual digital channels if I can work around the conflicts. AND ... :cheers: my new 4221HD is here! Been playing with it the last few hours. I think I may have officially entered the OTA age. Probably start a new thread for that tomorrow or next.

Thx,
Rick

Last edited: