Adding TV to Comcast Digital Preferred Service

Steven19

DTVUSA Rookie
I have Comcast Digital Preferred Service with one of their set top boxes on my TV in the main room of mine and my roommates apartment. If we run a splitter before the cable from the wall outlet connects to the TV, and then run coax to one of our bedrooms and connect a TV to it, what kind of channels can we get? We won't have a set top box for the bedroom so will we still get cable in there?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
For now, you can surely get your local over-the-air broadcast channels -- at least until 2012, and perhaps beyond. Other than that, you either already need, or shall soon (relatively speaking) need, some type of decryption device to receive cable networks, as measures to prevent cable theft are becoming more commonplace. You may be able to temporarily access cable networks, but that will end soon, as part of the same project by which Comcast is deploying more HD channels and other services around the country.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
For now, you can surely get your local over-the-air broadcast channels -- at least until 2012, and perhaps beyond. Other than that, you either already need, or shall soon (relatively speaking) need, some type of decryption device to receive cable networks, as measures to prevent cable theft are becoming more commonplace. You may be able to temporarily access cable networks, but that will end soon, as part of the same project by which Comcast is deploying more HD channels and other services around the country.
Could he use a DTA in this situation?

I'm a DirecTV customer so I plead ignorance for not knowing that answer. :p

bicker

DTVUSA Member
DTAs will help tune in some, but not all, cable networks. Generally, it is only going to help with the first tier of service above limited basic. (Limited basic is the tier of service with just over-the-air broadcast channels.) However, that tier includes a lot of favorites, including USA, TNT, FX, CNN, Nickelodeon, etc.