Adults Watching "Kids" Shows

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
There's been a bit of a controversy online this week, where some people who have criticized YA (young adult, or teen) literature and movies (such as The Fault in Our Stars, which the film version of just came out) and others have leaped to its defense. There are also some shows/books/movies where the adult audience has practically eclipsed the children's audience - like My Little Pony.

I don't have any kids, but I do watch My Little Pony, Disney films, Degrassi, and several other things that are meant for younger viewers... and I read YA lit too. I think it's silly to dismiss something based on age alone, and I'm glad it's becoming more socially acceptable for me as a single adult to admit I enjoy these things!

Adults, do you watch any "kids" shows on your own - or do you only watch what you're forced to by the children in your life?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Though not strictly meant for kids - Looney Tunes, Shrek, Toy Story, etc are amongst my favorites.

Got Netflix? Watch "Oscar's Oasis". That's funny, I don't care how old you are.

James

DTVUSA Member
Adventure Time is a favorite. Sponge Bob in the past Ren & Stimpy. But all those have very adult themes "hidden" inthe storyline and in the animation.

The point's been made above that there's very few shows that are meant for kids only, but I suppose Doctor Who might count (and I mainly watch the old stuff that really was for kids!). There's another British show called Horrible Histories which is about the best kid's educational program I've ever seen, and it's completely hilarious to adults and children alike. I still watch Sesame Street and I'll happily sit down in front of anything from Cartoon Network. The ambient, non-verbal toddler shows are the only things I wouldn't watch on my own.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
The point's been made above that there's very few shows that are meant for kids only, but I suppose Doctor Who might count (and I mainly watch the old stuff that really was for kids!). There's another British show called Horrible Histories which is about the best kid's educational program I've ever seen, and it's completely hilarious to adults and children alike. I still watch Sesame Street and I'll happily sit down in front of anything from Cartoon Network. The ambient, non-verbal toddler shows are the only things I wouldn't watch on my own.
The strange thing about Doctor Who is that most Americans don't really consider it a "kids" show. Even when the older series were shown on PBS here, they were shown late in the night! (At least when I remember seeing it on; it may have varied.) So there is that difference in perception.

Lestrade

DTVUSA Member
I love watching cartoons and stuff that is considered kids' material! I enjoy the bright colours, the laughter and the excitement. It is perfect for recalling your innocence. That being said, a lot of kids' series and movies are not only meant to please youngsters!

James

DTVUSA Member
I got caught up in Ren and Stimpy for a while. It was so strange I could not look away. I read a book on animation where the author was pointing out some really strange meanings to some of the scenes. Double meanings such as the episode with Stimpy and an unwelcome house guest are playing "sword swallower" in the closet. John K had some "underground" stuff that was both cool and disgusting. There was also an animated Tenacious D music video that I need no go into.

rsapcg.jpg