Advantage of Hulu Plus vs Hulu?

U

Unregistered

Is there really any reason to pay for Hulu Plus? How many seasons does Hulu make available for subscribers? Doesn't Netflix offer TV show seasons too?

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Advantage Of Hulu Plus Vs Hulu?

Autistic Disdain: HuluPlus Comparison Chart

Here's a comparison chart of Hulu, HuluPlus, and Netflix. Some notable tidbits:

-- Free Hulu doesn't have too much in the way of full seasons, but they're not without their gems. Especially older shows like Highlander and Doogie Howser. Though, putting Doogie Howser behind a paywall would be as cruel as requiring a subscription to Xbox Live just to play that Netflix Streaming you already pay for on your TV.

-- HuluPlus does offer an impressive library of back episodes, but it does get bested more than once by Netflix' library. Though, apparently Netflix' interest in maintaining an impressive television show library starts to taper off after shows that start with B, with a serious prejudice to Cs.

-- While I'm fairly certain it did not affect the data presented here, while collecting data, some shows were added or removed from the listing on the promo page for HuluPlus. It is entirely possible that the data here may be incorrect by time I submit this article.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Is there really any reason to pay for Hulu Plus?

Is there really any reason to pay for Hulu Plus?
If you want to watch the "Plus only" content. Or, If you want to watch from a streaming device (Roku, game machine, WDTV, etc), you have to pay for Hulu Plus - or you can use PlayOn.
How many seasons does Hulu make available for subscribers?
It varies by show. Some shows are only the last few episodes, same as the free version. It's all up to the rights holders for each show, not Hulu.
Doesn't Netflix offer TV show seasons too?
Yes, some shows are on Netflix, and also Amazon and iTunes (but you'll have to pay for each episode or season via Amazon and iTunes). And you'll have to wait at least until the next season for them to become available.

More information on this subject here on my blog:
Cache Free TV: Why Do People Pay For HULU Plus? (revisited)