Advertisements in Letterbox

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Here's something new I've never seen before. During a SD broadcast where the picture has sidebars due to Letterboxing. There are advertisements for Comcast cable in the sidebar.
Here I have included some pictures

Secret message perhaps like our local FOX affiliate does with 'EAT'?

Or possibly more seriously, it may be a prelude to using that sorta like a sidebar ala Vista style, where they can show scrolling news tickers and weather data whether it's in a commercial or not? both our WTVW (FOX) and WFIE (NBC) have their tickers on the bottom 1/4 of the screen whether or not they're in a commercial break so it may be some sort of future thing very similar.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Secret message perhaps like our local FOX affiliate does with 'EAT'?

Or possibly more seriously, it may be a prelude to using that sorta like a sidebar ala Vista style, where they can show scrolling news tickers and weather data whether it's in a commercial or not? both our WTVW (FOX) and WFIE (NBC) have their tickers on the bottom 1/4 of the screen whether or not they're in a commercial break so it may be some sort of future thing very similar.
hehehe EAT! I'll definitely get a picture if it ever says WEATHER ur eh I mean EAT:D Yeah, that's what I was thinking an ad ticker or other advertisements. Just another way to increase their advertising dollars.

So long as Smilin' Bob doesn't take up the bar i'm fine. here, it's just the news tickers and time/temp and any weather alerts active.

I'm still seeing the 'EAT' just before 'Weather'. it's always 3/4 into the Fox News at 9PM segment, and it's probably not the intention of WTVW Fox 7 to issue subliminal advertising but i am sure to those with weak minds it does have that unintentional effect.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
That happens with some SD programming and SD advertising on HD cable/satellite channels.

It's like saying "Do not adjust your television set - there is nothing wrong with your picture."

Last edited: