Question: Advice on using the correct antenna

JoeVinyl

DTVUSA Rookie
I have been a subscriber to satellite television since 1998. I am considering dropping my service and going OTA. I'm not sure if I can pick up enough channels with an antennae to make this feasible. I could really use some guidance before I jump in. I've attached the general questionnaire, my results from tvfool and a pic of the location of my existing dish.
Any help and opinions on purchasing the correct antennae, placement etc. would be greatly appreciated. My TV Stations.jpg General Questionnaire for an OTA.jpg Looking South.JPG

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: JoeVinyl,

Sorry to say your attachments are too small for us to view. Please go back to TVFOOL and rerun your antenna survey but this time, include the maximum possible antenna height because your current report is based at 5 feet above ground level by default. Then, take the resulting URL and post it here for us to study. We look forward to help you.

Jim

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Jim: Click the TV Fool plot and it will expand in size.

Joe: What channels are you looking for? With the right antenna, you should be able to receive the major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS) and the associated subchannels.

- Trip

JoeVinyl

DTVUSA Rookie
Trip: Receiving the major networks would be great. What antennae would you recommend? If I attach the antennae to the existing DIRECTV post will I need to extend the height?
Thanks

n2rj

Staff member
"What antenna" is like asking what car to buy. :)

You should be able to get all the major networks with a medium combo VHF/UHF antenna or even a channel master 4228 since the only VHF signal is on channel 8, and is relatively strong.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Joe, I'll let the other folks make antenna recommendations, as I don't have a whole lot of experience in that arena. I am largely more familiar with the station engineering perspective and the propagation of the signal itself.

As to your question about the mounting, it really depends on where the existing mount is and how high up it is. The higher your antenna is, generally (but not always) the better. If it is very close to your roof and your roof has foil-backed insulation or something else with a lot of metal in it, you will want to keep your antenna above the roof line, I suspect.

- Trip