Aereo TV-streaming local broadcast?

https://aereo.com/home

Anybody hear about this? It's debuting in New York City in March-they'll be streaming the broadcast networks via internet for $12 a month. Not too many details-I just heard about it on the local Fox affiliate. Nothing on the website indicates anything about HD programming, etc... In any event it will be interesting to see what happens with this. I live in NJ and will probably have difficulty getting NYC stations OTA, which is a problem since I'm a Giants fan. This might be a good compromise-they do tout the fact that this is a way to watch sports via the internet. I can get 10Mbps DSL for $39.99/month-this plus Netflix would be a total bill of $60 a month-not bad! I could still set up the OTA antenna for NYC TV and rely on this service as a backup if the reception got bad-even if its not HD it would mean being able to watch the Giants if the antenna couldn't bring in NYC.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Sounds like they're just taking OTA broadcasts and pushing them out over the internet. I'm wondering about the legalities of this... as cable companies have to pay retransmission fees, does it apply to this setup?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Sounds like they're just taking OTA broadcasts and pushing them out over the internet. I'm wondering about the legalities of this... as cable companies have to pay retransmission fees, does it apply to this setup?
The way they are trying to get around the legality of retransmission/cable is by having an antenna/receiver for each customer. It's like having a slingbox set up in a friends house who has better reception. This is the second company to offer such a service in NYC.