AirLink ATVC102 Converter

The AirLink ATVC102 has a 7-day on-screen listing of TV channel programming (EPG) info like the DTVPal Plus converter box. Not a lot of reviews on the net, anyone have one?

Specifications

Interface 1 RF Input
1 RF Output
1 RCA compatible Output
Dimensions 182 x 118 x 36 mm (L x W x H)
Power DC 12V / 1A
Certification FCC, CE, Energy Star
Warranty Limited 1-year warranty

Multimedia – ATVC102

CadDad

DTVUSA Member
7 day program guide sounds great but most stations (at least in my area) only broadcast up to 12 hours advance program information. Maybe it'll change soon, who knows?

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I spent a bunch of time typing one up on this, but it got lost in transit. WAAH! I have to open it up and do the review again. The memory on this unit is VERY VERY low compared to others, which influences the picture quality shortcomings. 2MBs Flash, 16MBs RAM, MUCH lower than most others.

It's practically the Skardin DTR-0727L, as it uses the same motherboard. Tuner is Sanyo, CPU is Samsung C815. MPEG chip is a Realtek RTD2881S.

4-pin header for USB and another unsoldered header that looks VERY promising - a 20-pin 1.5" hard drive, even mounts for it, too! Ooh, the possibilities! Think of them!

Channel changing is a bit slow. Program guide is NOT 7-day, it's 7 lines. 4 hours ahead maximum. Another mode shows a list of sub channels in Now/Next format.

Meritline.com has them for the cost of the coupon itself, free shipping.

Definitely a good model if you want a base to experiment on putting a hard drive in it. Check the Internet for customizing a Skardin HT-250, and maybe you might hit up on how to get this thing tricked out to the maximum it can do.

Something disturbs me about the box. It has John 3:16 on it. I'm not against religion, but why is it on an electronics product? Is this meant to be a product offered through Digital TV Converters and NTIA TV Converter Box Coupon ??? (btw, that site does NOT accept NTIA coupons - they probably lost the NTIA coupon license as they retail items at prices well above the MSRP.)

Afterthought: By the way the John 3:16 is placed, in small letters directly below the customer relations info, I think they meant to refer this Bible passage, which possibly applies due to the moderate picture quality issues of this unit: Philippians 2:14

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I appreciate all the comments. It still seems to sound like that Pal unit is the best overall. I'm still undecided and have more research to do. It's looking more like I'm going to have to ditch cable completely, so getting the right, inexpensive box is crucial for me.

Boo-Ray

DTVUSA Member
It's practically the Skardin DTR-0727L, as it uses the same motherboard. Tuner is Sanyo, CPU is Samsung C815. MPEG chip is a Realtek RTD2881S.

4-pin header for USB and another unsoldered header that looks VERY promising - a 20-pin 1.5" hard drive, even mounts for it, too! Ooh, the possibilities! Think of them!

Definitely a good model if you want a base to experiment on putting a hard drive in it. Check the Internet for customizing a Skardin HT-250, and maybe you might hit up on how to get this thing tricked out to the maximum it can do.
My knowledge of tweaking converter boxes is VERY limited so please bare with me. Are you saying it's possible to connect a hard drive to the Airlink? How would you access it and furthermore how would it communicate with the Airlink motherboard and tuner?

Sounds like Airlink may add a DVR option to this unit after the transition. Possibly?

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
It might need a few film capaciators and resistors to be installed to connect the drive to the system, as well as loading a firmware that can write to and access the hard drive.

They probably took a copy of the Skardin HT-250 PMP specs, made a few "quick and dirty" changes to the design to accept ATSC data, and rushed it out to the factories, leaving in lots of the unused PCB mounting cutouts and solder spots in place. I've seen some cheap video cards built this way in the past, seen in entry level computers sold at stores.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I appreciate all the comments. It still seems to sound like that Pal unit is the best overall. I'm still undecided and have more research to do. It's looking more like I'm going to have to ditch cable completely, so getting the right, inexpensive box is crucial for me.
A little trick most people don't think about when buying a CECB. At most retailers you have 30 days from the date of purchase to return a CECB if it doesn't work for you. Verify that this is the store policy before doing what I'm about to explain. What I did was purchase the converter without using my coupon. Let me emphasize this point "don't use the coupon with you purchase". This way if you are not completely satisfied, you can return the CECB to the retailer for a full refund. Then after after you have found the box that will fit your needs and do everything you expect it to do. You return to the retailer and return/exchange the CECB, this time using the $40.00 coupon. This way you are able to do your research for the best box and try it before you buy it.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
A little trick most people don't think about when buying a CECB. At most retailers you have 30 days from the date of purchase to return a CECB if it doesn't work for you. Verify that this is the store policy before doing what I'm about to explain. What I did was purchase the converter without using my coupon. Let me emphasize this point "don't use the coupon with you purchase". This way if you are not completely satisfied, you can return the CECB to the retailer for a full refund. Then after after you have found the box that will fit your needs and do everything you expect it to do. You return to the retailer and return/exchange the CECB, this time using the $40.00 coupon. This way you are able to do your research for the best box and try it before you buy it.
I've done that with the last 2 antennas I bought from Best Buy. :) Works like a charm and let me clarify, it's not my intent to take advantage of them. I just want to make sure I'm getting something that works.