All in the name in self-improvement!

How do you guys get yourself motivated to do what you need to do for the day? What little tips and tricks work the best?

For me, I just make a million lists a day. They vary in importance. They can be an outline for a piece I'm writing or a grocery list or a to do list. Sometimes I forget about half the lists I make, but just the process of writing things done helps.

For these things I use Evernote. I find it handy to sync my notes from my computer to my phone, and it makes it easier to keep everything in one place.

What apps or tricks do you guys do or use?

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
I find organizing a number of tasks into lists and then crossing them off as they get done in the course of a day is tremendously satisfying. I actually prefer pen and paper for these sorts of lists, I really don't know why. There's just something about physically crossing off item after item that gives me a sense of accomplishment. And at the end of the day I love how what was a clean slate looks like a mess.

As archaic as it is I write a lot down in my personal calendar at work. By writing down the bills that I have to pay I remember to pay them. Many of my bills come in an email and when it comes I open it then forget about it. But even if I overlook the email I have written down on my calendar when and how much each of my bills are. Now if I'm just needing to jot down a number or the title of a book I want to purchase I use the notepad on my cell phone. All of my writing projects I keep on an Excel spreadsheet. Sounds kind of crazy but I stay on track this way.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I use a Journal type thing online that is called "Penzu.com" I will make categories. Like work, home, Misc., School, Appointments. Then I put into those categories what needs to be done. Like work is for jobs I am working on. Home is for things around the house or outside of the house that need to be done. Misc. is for things like reminders, for example, My husband works in the shop on this day or that day. School is for what ever assignments or other school related things to be done.Appointments are for doctors appointments for everyone in the house with place and time. I also use my day planner for things as well.

I'm old school, I write everything into my giant desk calendar. I get to stare at it for hours a day. Oh, and sticky notes I use a lot of sticky notes LOL.....

I think that the old school way of writing things down is definitely the way to go. If there are too many bells and whistles, you get too caught up in the mechanics of how to get the information into the system, instead of reminding yourself to just do the laundry haha.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I think that the old school way of writing things down is definitely the way to go. If there are too many bells and whistles, you get too caught up in the mechanics of how to get the information into the system, instead of reminding yourself to just do the laundry haha.
Not only do I use the online journal. But I also write everything down on a daily planner just to be able to write. Then again my Compolisive disorder is all based on pens,day planners and notebooks

Not only do I use the online journal. But I also write everything down on a daily planner just to be able to write. Then again my Compolisive disorder is all based on pens,day planners and notebooks
My wife is very much like that. She will write lists and rewrite them LOL....I love her detailed, by aisle grocery lists, she can get in and out of the store like no one I've ever seen with those lists....that is if the kids aren't with her, then forget it all bets are off LOL...

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
My wife is very much like that. She will write lists and rewrite them LOL....I love her detailed, by aisle grocery lists, she can get in and out of the store like no one I've ever seen with those lists....that is if the kids aren't with her, then forget it all bets are off LOL...
Ya I seem to go over my lists, both online and paper at least a total of 15-16 times a day. I even re-write them at least 4-5 times a day. Ya, I actually kept count.... LOL Now as far as having the kids with me. I am in and out within either 20 minutes to maybe an hour, depending on how much we get. But with the kids, they normally do not ask for anything. So after about a few weeks I will actually get them something just for actually not asking for anything.

That sounds like the most efficient list making I've ever heard of! If I could make lists that well, I wouldn't be wasting so much money at the grocery store haha.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
That sounds like the most efficient list making I've ever heard of! If I could make lists that well, I wouldn't be wasting so much money at the grocery store haha.
I used to be the same way! But I figure, if I make a list I look for the item and don't really pay attention to anything else. Now considering I am pregnant... That really seems to be struggle! Now it has gotten to where every time I go to the store I will buy a little something not on the list. So nine times out of ten I just send my husband with the list. But have noticed the last few times he has come home with something for me. I think he is noticing the whole craving thing and just gets it. But I have also noticed, and its really weird. But lets say I am craving ice cream. He seems to be to. I have never even known a man to even be like that. But its kind of cool.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
My biggest grocery store hazard is sale items - if I can get it for cheap, I stock up on it, even when it's not on my list.

Now my freezer is full. My pantry is full. I guess it has paid off - since now I am laid off. :angry:

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
I make a classic, boring to do list with good old pen and paper. Then I fold it up and carry it around in my wallet for the day, and if anything is still left to do before I go to bed that night, then I transfer it to the next days to do list.

This web Site also helped me out for a few weeks because I like measuring my success:
https://habitrpg.com/static/front
It's a really cool way to keep a To-Do list and turn it into a neat, trackable and progressible game.