All Satellite Services to Provide LiL's Everywhere!

Yes616

The Mod Squad
PBS in HD coming to Dish soon as well.

Click Here

All it needs now is Obama's signature.

It even talks about significantly viewed stations. Something only cable was able to do in the past. I might even be able to sell Dish to friends who live in the Binghamton and Elmira, NY DMA's. Dish must carry those locals when this goes into effect. I have not read the whole thing yet but I am not seeing anything about sub-channels. I hope I find something there. Here is the summary page.
5/7/2010--Introduced.
Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010 - Requires a satellite carrier whose secondary transmissions are subject to statutory licensing to deposit a filing fee semiannually with the Register of Copyrights. Revises requirements regarding the royalty fee a satellite carrier making secondary transmissions is required to make semiannually. Applies various existing provisions to digital transmissions by removing the word "analog." Modifies requirements regarding the setting of the statutory licensing fee. Shifts certain tasks from the Librarian of Congress to the Copyright Royalty Judges. Extends through December 31, 2014, the earliest date through which voluntary royalty agreements remain in effect. Revises requirements regarding the establishment of royalty fees for secondary transmissions of network and non-network stations. Redesignates superstations as non-network stations. Removes provisions requiring statutory licenses for secondary transmissions of significantly viewed signals. Revises requirements regarding local-into-local satellite retransmissions. Increases specified maximum statutory damages for violation of territorial restrictions. Extends through December 31, 2014, the copyright liability moratorium allowing a subscriber who does not receive a signal of Grade A intensity of a local network broadcast station to receive signals of network stations affiliated with the same network, if that subscriber had satellite service terminated after July 11, 1998, and before October 31, 1999 or received such service on October 31, 1999. Requires statutory licenses for secondary transmissions into a station's local market relating to significantly viewed stations or low power programming. Sets forth special secondary transmission licensing provisions with respect to: (1) states with a single full-power network station; (2) states with all network stations and non-network stations in the same local market; (3) specified other stations; and (4) networks of noncommercial educational broadcast stations. Requires, when an injunction that was imposed on a carrier before enactment of this Act because of a willful or repeated pattern or practice of delivering a primary transmission to subscribers who are not eligible to receive the transmission, waiver of the injunction if the carrier is providing local-into-local service to all DMAs and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) makes specified certifications. Requires an entity recognized as a qualified carrier to continue to provide local-into-local service to all DMAs. Imposes penalties for violations. Requires a Copyright Office fee to be paid upon filing a statement of account based on certain secondary transmissions of primary transmissions. Ends, on December 31, 2014, the effectiveness of provisions relating to limitations on exclusive rights regarding secondary transmissions of distant television programming by satellite. Amends the Communications Act of 1934 to extend: (1) provisions allowing satellite retransmission of network station signals (without the station's consent) to a subscriber outside of the local market of the station and residing in an unserved household; and (2) the termination of provisions prohibiting a television broadcast station that provides retransmission consent from engaging in exclusive contracts for carriage or failing to negotiate in good faith, and the termination of provisions prohibiting a multichannel video programming distributor from failing to negotiate in good faith for retransmission consent. Allows a satellite carrier to retransmit a significantly viewed signal of a station located outside of the local market in which a subscriber is located under certain conditions. Requires each eligible satellite carrier providing any local-into-local HD secondary transmissions before enactment of this Act to carry the HD signals of qualified noncommercial educational television stations in that local market according to a specified time schedule. Directs the FCC to require as a condition of any provision, initial authorization, or authorization renewal that a provider of direct broadcast satellite service providing video programming, or a qualified satellite provider providing such programming, reserve a specified portion of its channel capacity for noncommercial programming of an educational or informational nature.
I have just found a list of DMA's that Dish is planning to launch by July. No gaurantees here and no word if some of these will be in HD. I will post more as news becomes more definite. Here is the list..
· Presque Isle - ME
· Springfield- MA
· Utica - NY
· Watertown - NY
· Elmira - NY
· Alpena - MI
· Binghamton - NY
· Lake Charles - LA
· Biloxi- MS
· Bowling Green - KY
· Columbus - GA
· Jackson - TN
· Jonesboro - AR
· Lafayette - IN
· Mankato - MN
· North Platte - NE
· Ottumwa - IA
· Bluefield - WV
· Parkersburg - WV
· Wheeling - WV
· Salisbury - MD
· Steubenville - OH
· Zanesville - OH
· Greenwood-Greenville - MS
· Harrisonburg - VA
· Hattiesburg-Laurel - MS
· Eureka - CA
· Glendive - MT
· Kirksville - MO
· St. Joseph - MO
· Victoria - TX
At least 200 local channels are now uplinked (but not yet available) and are in thier testing phase. Most of them are on the new E14 satellite at 119°. I was surprised to see many new eastern states channels launching on a western arc satellite. That means many eastern arc people who will now be able to get LiL channels but will need 2 dishes. A 1000.4 and a wing dish aimed at 119°. The word is many of these channels will become available on June 3rd. I don't see any new HD channels in the new markets yet.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Obama has signed the bill and Dish Network just released this press release:
DISH NETWORK TO BECOME FIRST PAY-TV PROVIDER TO OFFER LOCAL BROADCAST CHANNELS IN ALL 210 LOCAL TELEVISION MARKETS IN THE UNITED STATES

Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010 (STELA) Signed into Law by President Obama

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – May 27, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C., the fastest-growing pay-TV provider in America, today announced that it plans to launch local broadcast channels in 29 new markets on June 3, 2010, becoming the first and only pay-TV provider to offer local channels to consumers in every market nationwide. The announcement comes moments after President Obama signed the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010 (STELA) into law, which paved the way for DISH Network to take this historic step.

“We are proud to announce that every American will soon have access to their local channels from DISH Network,” said Charlie Ergen, Chairman, President and CEO of DISH Network. “While our nearest competitor offers local channels in only 75 percent of local markets, DISH Network is committed to offering consumers in all markets – particularly those living in smaller and rural communities – a full complement of satellite TV services. All Americans, regardless of where they live, deserve access to key in-state news, sports, weather and other programming.”

On June 3, DISH Network plans to launch local channels in 29 new markets, introducing to many consumers a choice in television service for the first time ever. These markets include: Alpena, Mich.; Biloxi, Miss.; Binghamton, N.Y.; Bluefield, W.Va.; Bowling Green, Ky.; Columbus, Ga.; Elmira, N.Y.; Eureka, Calif.; Glendive, Mont.; Greenwood, Miss.; Harrisonburg, Va.; Hattiesburg, Miss.; Jackson, Tenn.; Jonesboro, Ark.; Lafayette, Ind.; Lake Charles, La.; Mankato, Minn.; North Platte, Neb.; Ottumwa, Iowa; Parkersburg, W.Va.; Presque Isle, Maine.; Salisbury, Md.; Springfield, Mass.; St. Joseph, Mo.; Utica, N.Y.; Victoria, Texas; Watertown, N.Y.; Wheeling, W.Va.; and Zanesville, Ohio.

The passage of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010 was made possible through the hard work and dedication of many members of Congress, including Chairman Patrick Leahy, U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary; Chairman Jay Rockefeller, U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation; Senator John Kerry, U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation; Chairman John Conyers, U.S. House Committee on the Judiciary; Chairman Henry Waxman, U.S. House Energy and Commerce Committee; and Chairman Rick Boucher, U.S. House Energy Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet.

“For far too long, consumers in many small or rural markets didn’t have access to their local news, weather and sports. One of the principal goals of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act was to encourage local television to be made available to all consumers via satellite,” said Chairman John Conyers, U.S. House Committee on the Judiciary. “Implementation of the legislation will help make television markets more competitive, and serve the interests of consumers nationwide.”

“My major goal in reforming the Satellite Home Viewer Act has been to bring to all 210 local television markets across the nation what we call local-into-local television service through which local TV signals are transmitted by satellite to homes in the market where the TV stations are located,” said Chairman Rick Boucher, U.S. House Committee on Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet. “Today, we have taken the final step in achieving this long held goal, and as a result, satellite TV subscribers everywhere will soon be able to receive both national programming and the local TV stations that serve their area. With today’s presidential signature, on June 3, DISH Network plans to begin serving the many rural markets that lack vital local TV signals. I want to commend the leadership of DISH Network for making this commitment. Millions of homes in America’s most rural regions will be the beneficiaries.”

For more information about DISH Network’s programming packages and local services, visit Satellite TV - HD Satellite Television - DISH 1.800.823.4929.
Press Release

Last edited:

Yes616

The Mod Squad
The new locals are now live!

Dish had a very busy night last night and I am sure they are having a super busy today due to all of the LiL's (satellite provided locals) coming online all at once.

I understand there is also much confusion going on with the new "short markets". Those are the markets without all of the networks and what significantly viewed channels from neighboring DMA's subscribers are entitled to in those areas not to mention short markets Dish had already been carrying.

More on all of this tonight. Time for the day job. :)

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Now if DISH would provide me with locals in HD in Davenport IA DMA, I would be happier.
I believe that once Echostar 15 is up and running this summer, Dish satellites will have lots of room for filling in the most of the missing HD LiL's in the eastern half of the US. Bob, you may get lucky on this as the final plan is to move DMA's east of the Mississippi to eastern arc. You are right on the borderline. I also see that your RSN's (Comcast Sports Chicago and The Big 10) are already carried on both eastern and western arc systems and that right there is a reason to be hopeful. The best of luck to you.

Now many small markets not carried yet in HD further to the west may have to wait until western arc is converted to an all MPEG-4 system. That won't happen for awhile but it will eventually.