Also seeking antenna advice in a rural area...

Mainah

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello All,

A new member here in somewhat rural Maine (lol - isn't all of this state rural) with the same kind of question that Dachshund (that was the breed of my childhood dog, "Twiggy") had posted a few weeks ago... I would be very glad to share the results of what I learn as I venture down this DTV road... to help other future readers with their situation who may find this forum as I did.

Here is my address-based TV Fool Report as well as a map-based TV Fool Report as suggested by Piggie to Dachshund in the first thread I posted to... (just before Piggie left this forum).

I currently have one TV on the first floor with a Tivax STB-T8 Converter and Tivax DT-01 rabbit ears. That setup brings in channels 38 and 43 fairly clearly, but that's all folks... On the second floor I have the same converter with an older set of Zenith rabbit ears - the model number might be ATS 310 or ETA 343. The second floor set up also only gets channels 38 and 43 clearly... it also sporadically gets channels 35, 44 and 8 - with heavy pixelation / frequent signal lose.

I am really only interested in some of the green and yellow channels that show up on the TV Fool reports and would really like to bring these in with an attic-mounted antenna set up. I would guesstimate that I would need about 40' and 20' feet of cable to get to the 1st and 2nd floor sets (respectively) from an attic-mounted antenna. The house is a colonial style, so the attic is fairly spacious (as attics go, I guess).

I am not sure if you folks would need any other information from me before providing advice, but if you do, just let me know!

Thanks very much in advance for your assistance! :applause:

Mainah

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
:welcome:

Well, you're going to need a spacious attic! One look at the report's "radar plot" shows signals coming in from all different directions, so you really need a directional antenna on a rotor to get all the stations you want.

Lots of people in these situations understandably get interested in omni-directional antennas, but they're not a good choice here for three reasons: By design, omnis capture both direct and reflected signals, and reflected signals (the reason for analog ghosts) cause loss of digital reception; an omni probably won't pull in most of those "yellow" stations reliably (I know this from personal experience); and every omni relies on an amplifier. Because the first three stations on the report are quite strong, most amps built into omnis are likely to overload, causing loss of reception -- particularly among the weaker signals you want.

If you have a diameter of at least 12 feet for turning an antenna in the attic, I would suggest a Winegard HD-7696P antenna turned by a Channel Master 9521a rotor. Connect the antenna to a splitter and the TVs using RG-6 coaxial cable, and scan for new channels the first time you adjust the aim for each station. Try the antenna by itself first -- it may have enough gain to drive both TVs without a boost. (This is where outside mounting would help: You definitely wouldn't need an amp for two sets on a 7696, and you might even be able to step down to the smaller HD-7694P and still get reliable reception!)

If it turns out you need the boost after all, add a Winegard HDP-269 pre-amplifier to the system as needed. It's capable of handling several strong signals without overloading.

Mainah

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the advice Don!

Hello Don,

Sorry for the delayed reply - crazy busy life and I misplaced my forum password - but that re-surfaced over the weekend after I excavated down through the Jurassic period of my desk! Anyway, I was afraid that the answer you provided might be the one to come back... As you might guess, I have truss construction here... so while I might have around 8' of clearance I sure don't think I have 12'! :-(

If I am forced to move the antenna outside would your advice on the make / model / rotor combo change any or would you still go with the Wineguards / Channel Master in a rooftop application?

Thanks Again!

Mainah

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I think you might do well with a 4 Bay bowtie with screen removed, plus a pair of rabbit ears combined with a UVSJ, with a Winegard 269 and an FM Trap in the attic.

Attics can be weird places though.

Mainah

DTVUSA Jr. Member
And thanks also for the advice, Escape!

Thank you for the reply and food for thought EscapeVelocity...

Sounds like an interesting set up... for sure! Any further thoughts on recommendations for brands / models of the 4 bay (never have worked with this type of antenna before - so do the screens come off relatively easily on many of them?).

As well as adviice on brands to consider for the Rabbit Ears, UVSJ and FM Trap? I am sure there are probably higher end components as well as knock offs from asia and elsewhere... Also, would this be stationary or would I also want to include a rotor in the mix to point the array in various directions... since I seem to have broadcasts from all corners of the compass!

Thanks again for the advice and reply!

Mainah

Mainah

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello All,

Maniah here again… A quick update - I have ordered some OTA DTV components but they have not arrived yet… I will report back my results with this new equipment when everything is assembled and working. I do have another question for you good folks today – if you don’t mind... I told my dad about his site and he was curious to see what sort of advice he would get from you based on his TV Fool reports.

Here is his address based report as well as the preferred map / coordinate based report.

I believe that if he could get good reception with a stationary antenna pointed towards the cluster of stations to the S / SE on the TV Fool plots, then that would be preferably to only getting "okay" reception with an antenna setup that could be rotated to pick up those few outlier stations. If you have any questions or need some more info before providing advice, just let me know!

Thanks again for all your help!

Mainah

andrew44

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi,

This is the analysis of my possible ? DTV signal.

TV Fool

It doesn't look good to me but I wondered if there was anything I go buy etc that would allow me to view over the air HDTV? I'm sick of paying for satellite when I only really watch viewing that is available to many for free? Is there no way of amplifying the signal etc?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Hi,

TV Fool

It doesn't look good to me but I wondered if there was anything I go buy etc that would allow me to view over the air HDTV? I'm sick of paying for satellite when I only really watch viewing that is available to many for free? Is there no way of amplifying the signal etc?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
I'd try three Y10-7-13 antennas with Jointennas for channels 13 and 11. (Jointennas are available from Amazon.com)

If you want ION or Telemundo a 91XG is worth a try. The CBS station is too weak.

Preamp: Channel Master 7777

Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is there nothing else I can do this all seems crazy just to get some tv! I don't mind paying more if I can get it to work as I figure I'll save in the long run.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
T.G. omitted mention of where to point that third Y10-7-13: Toward KMGH 7.x (ABC, Azteca) and KUSA 9.x (NBC, WX Plus, Uni Sports). Both stations are from the same location at 127 degrees magnetic, i.e., compass aim.

If neither KBDI 12.x nor KQCK 11.1 are of interest, you only need one of those antennas, for channels 7 and 9, and no Jointenna. KBDI broadcasts three sub-channels; if you want it, that would require a second Y10 antenna and a channel 13 Jointenna.

I get KQCK down here, and unless low-level sports events shot and announced by amateurs excites you, it's safe to omit it for now. IMO, it's not worth the $80-plus additional expense. If their programming improves in the future, a third Y10 and a channel 11 Jointenna would be straightforward additions to your antenna array.

You'll need the recommended pre-amplifier regardless of what you buy for antennas/related equipment.

Reception of anything else beyond the four to six stations TG and I have mentioned is basically out of the question. The mountains in that spectacular Front Range view to your southeast are also totally blocking any other signals from getting to Nederland.

BTW... How's Frozen Dead Guy doing these days? :becky:

Last edited:

jdemaris

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hi,

TV Fool

It doesn't look good to me but I wondered if there was anything I go buy etc that would allow me to view over the air HDTV?

You ought to be able to get almost every channel on the report down to a negative-30 noise-margin, if you get the right equipment and are motivated.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
re: antenna advice

Mainah wrote:
... "I am really only interested in some of the green and yellow channels that show up on the TV Fool reports and would really like to bring these in with an attic-mounted antenna set up." ...
--------------------------------------------
Mainah,
I wish I had the same smorgasbord of stations available to me in Seattle, especially at only 20 feet elevation. Something you may not have considered: some of the stations indicated on your TV Fool map, very likely have sub-channels. So, if you capture a station you didn't expect to, or try to receive, you could be missing several different programs available to you simultaneously, from that one captured station.

For an attic antenna I'd try an old-style Channel Master 4228 or EV's improved version on a rotor. Good luck and keep us posted!
Jim

Mainah

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello All,

Andrew, I am glad that the experts on this thread were able to provide you with some excellent advice - hope that you are able to come up with a working solution... And Jim, yes, I certainly have a few stations here in Maine to choose from - they are both a bonus and a challenge!

To the experts in the forum: Based on the advice I have received from you so far, along with my own research on various components; I have prepared a graphic of how I am thinking of putting together my "in the attic" OTA equipment... I am a very visual person, so this picture makes the most sense to me! Please see the attached file "antenna_setup.jpg" for the graphic... I was just hoping to solicit any additional advice and as always, constructive criticism is very welcome… The one area I am little fuzzy on is the FM Trap… not sure if it will be needed ultimately, but if I do find that I am getting interference, I was not able to get a good feel of makes and models that might perform better than others… any thoughts on that specifically?

And finally, if you have the time - on the first page of this thread, on 11/15/09, I posted about my dad’s location with his TV Fool reports… I had hoped to get a feel for what sorts of equipment you might recommend in his situation… I never received any feedback on that post, so I would really appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Best to you all and thanks again for your assistance!
Mainah

Attachments