Alternative to Cox Cable???

Suzanne

DTVUSA Rookie
Cable is feeling like my achilles heel, and I'd dump it in a second if I could find a way to see the channels I watch. I like ESPN, Fox Sports, and the History Channel.

Cable is feeling like my achilles heel, and I'd dump it in a second if I could find a way to see the channels I watch. I like ESPN, Fox Sports, and the History Channel.
Yip cable withdrawals about what you will lose. For ESPN they have a web based offering ESPN3 ...not sure if it will work for you Watch Live Streaming Sports Online - ESPN3

Fox Sports.....Fox telecasts over-the-air free regional NFL games. For the History Channel I have found PBS "world" to offer much the same, I also see that they have now syndicated Deadliest Catch on to free to air channels.

Good luck.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
You can go with FREE OTA TV, or go with one of the satellite providers, Dish or DirecTV. Dish is the cheaper of the 2. I assume you get your internet from Cox, if you can find another ISP, then go for it - neither of the satellite providers offers internet. Otherwise, you're still stuck with Cox for your internet.

Or you can get FREE TV with an antenna. (I do, I save enough cash to buy a new big screen TV every year - and I've never regretted it. But I'm not a big sports nut, either.) What you'll loose is primarily sports OTA. ESPN runs a virtual monopoly on sports, and only ESPN 3 is on the internet. If you own an Xbox360, by paying for Xbox live membership you can access ESPN 3. If your internet provider has an agreement with ESPN, you can watch on a computer: Watch Live Streaming Sports Online - ESPN3 There's also some sports still on the big 4 networks - usually sundays. Most NBC stations carry Universal Sports Network as their sub channel, it's mostly Olympic- type sports. You may find some sports that you like on America One or the "Untamed Sports" networks, if they're available in your area. Don't forget there's Netflix for $9 a month, and HULU, plus a number of other places online where you can watch. (And it's not all that difficult to hook up to your big screen with a computer or internet "set top box", Xbox, PS3, etc. Many Blu-Ray players are internet capable now, too.

For a history cahnnel substitute, you will find that PBS is king. Not only PBS, but pbs stations carry a number of subchannels (mine have 3 or 4) where you'll find history, education, cooking, d-i-y, and international programming.

But before you take the leap and cut the cable, Please go to TV Fool and enter your location and the likely height of your antenna. Copy the link generated (top of page, in bold) and post it back here. We'll tell you what you can get with an antenna for FREE, help you select and set up an antenna for your location.

Hang in there, lots of people have booted their cableco to the curb in the past few years.

trope

DTVUSA Rookie
thanks! here is the bolded info:
TV Fool
I have not yet canceled COX, but am looking forward to it.
I am not sure what kind of antennae to buy. I live in a single story house.
Thanks!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: troupe,

Your TVFOOL report shows three 'antenna farm' sources or directions where the transmitting towers are in relation to you. It was determined at 5 feet above the ground and there should be plenty of 'signal strength' available for you to receive some of those stations on an indoor 'rabbit-ear type' antenna. If you could mount an outdoor antenna on your roof, your chances of receiving many more channels increases dramatically.

If you're game to try this, go back to the TVFOOL website and type in the maximum possible height above ground level you could install an outdoor antenna. Then, post the resulting URL here. You may be able to receive the distant VHF channels 11, 13, 7 and 9 with the right outdoor antenna setup.

Jim

G

Poor Service

What I don't understand is why we are forced to accept just Cox. Every month I'm amazed that they haven't raised my monthly bill again (started at $97.00 now up to $136.00 with no additional services) Isn't this a monopoly on service in this area and isn't this unlawful. I know, no other company has stepped up to challange them. I'm sick of the poor service and I'm sick of being raked over the coals every month. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
What I don't understand is why we are forced to accept just Cox. Every month I'm amazed that they haven't raised my monthly bill again (started at $97.00 now up to $136.00 with no additional services) Isn't this a monopoly on service in this area and isn't this unlawful. I know, no other company has stepped up to challange them. I'm sick of the poor service and I'm sick of being raked over the coals every month. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
No, it's not unlawful. Years ago the legacy MSOs (cable companies) entered into "gentlemen's agreements" that they wouldn't compete against each other. They would simply divide the country into territories and they wouldn't compete with each other. They call the competing services such as Verizon FiOs, AT&T U-verse, CenturyLink Prism, or Google Fiber "overbuilders" since there should only be one service available per territory. On top of that they often operate by the old AT&T moto "We don't care, we don't have to, we're the (cable) company."

So, what are your options if their isn't an "overbuilder" in your area? Telco DSL and satellite (Dish or DirecTV), cable internet and satellite, OTA TV plus internet (there are various ways to watch TV over the internet), or internet connection (cable or DSL) plus OTA TV and FAVE from SkyAngel.

Personally, I have TV antennas which give me 23 English language channels including all the major broadcast networks in better HD than cable or satellite, an internet connection, a Roku and Playon, and an OTA DVR. My computer is also connected to one of my TVs. My total reoccuring monthly cost is $45 for a up to 7 Mbps DSL line (that runs a consistent 6.14 Mbps) from my telco. That price is $5 less than 6 Mbps service from the cable company. I watch pretty much anything I want to watch.

Last edited: