Am I missing something

KAA

DTVUSA Jr. Member
New guy here. I need to get a box but by what I read these boxes don't hold up for more than 6 months. Or is it certain boxes? The only ones I've got around here are the Apex 250 and the RCA STB7766C. Are these any count? Also if you get a new tv, are the converters inside any better? Thanks

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
New guy here. I need to get a box but by what I read these boxes don't hold up for more than 6 months. Or is it certain boxes? The only ones I've got around here are the Apex 250 and the RCA STB7766C. Are these any count? Also if you get a new tv, are the converters inside any better? Thanks
New TV's are digital, and don't have converters inside - they come with ATSC tuners built in.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. All this is new to me. I'm wanting to drop Comcast and go to ant. Any suggestions are welcome.
Welcome to the forum. Do you have an antenna already? For us to help you with receiving dtv signals, we'll need some more information from you. Go to TV Fool and enter your home address and approximate antenna height (if you want to use an indoor antenna put 5', or if it's outdoor it could be 10' - 50' depending if its mounted on a tower). Then post the results here. The results will not show your actual home address, but it will show approximate mileage between TV broadcast towers and your house

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Thanks Aaron. I will post the results when I figure out how to do it. I'm not up on any computer stuff.
No problem. I forgot to mention, your results will not actually post your address, so you won't need to worry about that. It'll just give you a graph and stats based on distances from your house to the broadcast towers. :)

I think the OP is worried about the life expectancy of the converters. the old saying 'your mileage will vary' applies here. the cheaper boxes may or may not last, and the expensive ones have failed too. it's sad how unlike 20 years ago one cannot just go buy a Sears and know that will last. everything's made in China. i'm trying so hard to find a converter or any tech gadget that's still made in USA. i'm so against supporting outsourced labor. i've even replaced a new toaster oven with an older Sears when they were still made in USA. but this and any computer stuff, forget it. unless i go back to an XT i am stuck.

KAA

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yea, it seems like none of these boxes hold up for any lenght of time. Looked today for a box of any type but could not find one. May have to order one. Knew I should have got one before now but I had cable and now I've decided I'm tired of paying 60.00 for basic cable and I'm not going to pay 80.00 for digital cable. Is there any other route to take besides a box? I've got a good TV it's just old.

I always wanted to solder a digital ATSC tuner in place of the NTSC analog tuner so i could make a console Digital TV; i have always been fond of console TVs, especially the multiplex entertainment centres with excellent stereo sound and hidden TV/Radio/8-track/photograph.

They just don't make them any more. great way to have a TV and VCR/DVD and not have to purchase an expensive stand or entertainment furniture.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
...Is there any other route to take besides a box?
A Dual-tuner digital DVR for around $250, which records one channel and lets you watch another. It has a built in guide to make viewing/recording easy. NO subscription needed - just an antenna suitable for your location and the channels being used there.

Another option would be a DVD or VCR/DVD recorder, with internal ATSC digital tuner. The cheapie DVD recorders usually do not include a digital tuner.

If buying a regular converter box, I would look for an DTVPal Plus or Zenith. Both have excellent tuners. You can still find them on eBay.

All are chinese made, so it's a crap shoot as to how long any of them will last.

On the TVFool results, enter your address and estimated antenna height. On the results page, copy the bolded link and paste it back here in this thread, for antenna help.

Last edited:

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Yea, it seems like none of these boxes hold up for any lenght of time. Looked today for a box of any type but could not find one. May have to order one. Knew I should have got one before now but I had cable and now I've decided I'm tired of paying 60.00 for basic cable and I'm not going to pay 80.00 for digital cable. Is there any other route to take besides a box? I've got a good TV it's just old.
Is your TV an HD ready TV? How old is it? You may want to think about getting a ATSC tuner set top box, but they're a bit more expensive too. Might as well get HD if you have a TV that can receive it.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I'll get the results of tv fool on here after I get me a 5th grader to show me how to put it on here
I spent my life studying and playing with antennas. So I might be over-qualified. :mad:)

Post the link above and we will decode it for you happily....

Piggie

Super Moderator
You are not really in an indoor antenna location sorry to say. If you have not choice except an indoor antenna the Terk HDTVa is probably the best choice.
Amazon.com: Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception: Electronics
Newegg.com - TERK HDTVa Amplified Directional Indoor HDTV Antenna

You would also be wise to buy 5 to 10 ft of coax and a barrel so you can move the antenna to many different locations in the room.

Now if you can put up an attic or outdoor antenna let me know and I can recommend on that. I based my response on your putting 5 feet as the height.

KAA

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks Piggie! I thought I would try an indoor first but you are right I don't think it will work very well. How about an outdoor ant.?

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
Thanks Piggie! I thought I would try an indoor first but you are right I don't think it will work very well. How about an outdoor ant.?
All 2Edge, no Line of Site for your TV Fool results. I'm definitely with piggie on this one on the outdoor antenna recommendation. How about entering your TV Fool information again but this time setting your antenna height to 10-15', whatever height you think you'll be able to mount your antenna at.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Depends how high up you can go, how much you want to spend to get the most fade margin.

A TVFool plot at 15 ft then one again at 30 ft. When I just put in your zip code for your area the signals jump up tremendously, too much just from the increase in height. So could you do TVFool again, twice. Once at 15 feet say at 30 ft it would give me a much better recommendation.

I have a recommendation ready until I saw the signals at the center of your zip code but that might be a hill or the same hill is blocking you.