Am I that Lucky?

Not sure the right catagory for this thread so I chose here. I have been reading and reading what some of you are going through with the whole DTV transition and feel like for once I got a lucky break. I didn't have to do a thing, although local channels have alot of snow during prime time if I do not turn on the vcr. Not to rub in my good luck or anything, more of an observation. I just feel bad for you guys that have to do all this stuff with convertors and antennas. Not being to techinically able I feel blessed for once

Piggie

Super Moderator
You live near enough towers it worked.

I know a guy in Orlando that lived 3 miles from the central tower farm. He has a 5 feet of 20 gauge wire that he stripped the end and pushed it in the center of the f connector. He receives dozens of channels.

RF, even line of sight follows the inverse squared law. If you double the distance from the tower, you only have 1/4 of the signal. That means at 2 miles from the tower compared to 1 mile you loose 6db of signal due to the fact RF is not a coherent beam. The only electromagnetic wave that doesn't due this is a LASER or MASER beam. Even if you use a directional antenna after it leaves the antenna it spreads in a spherical distribution. Since the surface area of a sphere is a function of the radius squared, a sphere with twice the radius has 4 times the surface area. So the signal is spread over more area why it fades as you leave the source.

Yes yes, of course, trees obstacles, etc. My premise was LOS signals.

I get all 15 of what's offered in the Evansville market (minus WAZE, currently a rimshot signal too far away to receive in Owensboro, KY), but there are more than 25 'services' available but i'd have to find out how to get something over 150 miles out, without tropo skip. so far i haven't found an economical solution for that that wouldn't force me to either buy and install a huge antenna pole (violates the terms of my rental agreement) or a huge C-Band dish in hopes of 3 or so channels more.

I was lucky to get anything aside from PBS when i bought my first converter. and those 'digital TV ready' antennas suck. i use the built-in roof aerial/pre-amp outlet on my mobile home and a separate VHF rabbit ears in a window hooked to a separator to get reliable reception from the 15 services i get, and if i have to re-aim, i can do it independently without screwing up the channels on the other antenna.

Last edited:

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
Your are lucky. Have heard many complaints about bad signals.

While I am now living in Germany, I have to say I do not understand why this is such a problem in the US.
I use digital TV here. The tower is 50miles away from me and I have 42 programs without any trouble at all. This is Germany - I do not know how they do it - but I get the same program here with my antenna on the Winnebago not depending if i am in Bavaria or at the Northern Sea.

Why is this not working in US?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Welcome to the DTVDEUTSCHLAND Forum. That has a certain ring to it :D

While I am now living in Germany, I have to say I do not understand why this is such a problem in the US.
I use digital TV here. The tower is 50miles away from me and I have 42 programs without any trouble at all. This is Germany - I do not know how they do it - but I get the same program here with my antenna on the Winnebago not depending if i am in Bavaria or at the Northern Sea.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member

I use digital TV here. The tower is 50miles away from me and I have 42 programs without any trouble at all.
All UHF and only one tower to aim at. Here, VHF & UHF with towers in multiple directions.

Piggie

Super Moderator

Plus here we have a lot more ground to cover. So there are a lot of fringe area's in the states. So there are people like me more than 50 miles from a tower. In areas like the NE Corridor in the US, it's just plain crowded and some stations can't run full power or they interfere with another in another town on the same channel.

In Deutschland werden viele der Übermittler von Deutsche Telekom besessen, also wurden sie in eine geplante Weise gelegt, um das Land zu bedecken.

Aber Ich spreche nicht so gut. Ich benutzte babblefish

Piggie

Super Moderator
is babblefish a real German word?
Neither is Levis. Ich trage Levis. Was sagen Sie? Ich sage Levi...

Name brands normally not translated into other languages. Go to Moscow and say Levis, and they will pull out a hundred bucks or more and offer you to sell them right off you bottom, right then and now.

Piggie

Super Moderator
It is said that ATSC was a bad choice for digital because of multipath and poor building penetration in fringe areas.
Good point, not camparing apples to apples with DVB-T to ATSC. They use 8 MHz wide UHF channels and different ways of encoding that give them 24 mbps or more. They use streams instead of one stream that gives them better multipath (ATSC M/H took a lesson to this). Also like I mentioned and someone else they use fewer towers so you point at one direction.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
It is said that ATSC was a bad choice for digital because of multipath and poor building penetration in fringe areas.
UHF penetrates buildings just fine. VHF does not.

The reception below is with only the unamplified indoor loop antenna seen to the right of the monitor. The transmitter is in Fordland, MO, ~70miles away. I get all the other Springfield UHFs with this loop antenna, but I do not get the KOLR 10, the lone VHF, with any indoor dipole antenna I've tried. And I've tried many of them, extended to many different lengths.
I also get another market's UHFs, with transmitters located ~45 miles away in another direction, with unamp'd indoor antennas, no problem. I cannot get the lone VHF station in that market (KAFT 9), with any indoor antenna.

In my case, UHF ATSC works perfectly. VHF, however, does not.

YMMV

Piggie

Super Moderator
Mileage varies for sure. Every case is a case study to be sure one is comparing apples to apples. Please I am not picking, but trying to raise a point that many lurkers and others miss understand. If you make a definite statement, then follow it YMMV, people still take it as gospel even though really it also their fault for how they read things. We are all guilty, but I like to try and stay within stating in text that it's not the same for everyone.

I have been in the business my entire life and absolutes don't apply. Though if king of the FCC, VHF would be gone and we would have kept at least half the UHF channels in the 700 MHz auctions.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I have been in the business my entire life and absolutes don't apply. Though if king of the FCC, VHF would be gone and we would have kept at least half the UHF channels in the 700 MHz auctions.
But what about crowded markets like LA? If all of our VHF stations wanted to convert to UHF, there wouldn't be enough room would there?