Amazing success story of OTA DTV reception

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
We get to read a lot of stories here in the DTVUSA Forum regarding the failures of OTA DTV , especially since the transition date of June 12, 2009. I want to post my amazing success story of OTA DTV reception and invite others to post their success stories in this thread. I pick up 19 crystal clear digital stations. My signal strength is approximately 8 to 8-1/2 on all channels. Even during the many rain or snow storms. I'm using a CLEARSTREAM C4 antenna connected to a Dish Network DTVPal Plus (Thanks to Jay). The antenna is currently sitting indoors and is aimed through the window. When the weather clears up I will mount it outside on the gable. Based on anything and everything you read about OTA DTV needing line of sight for reception, I shouldn't be receiving any stations. I have included a link to my TV Fool for reference. Others may also find this to be an amazing success story.

A cabin shot from a distance.

The cabin is in the trees.

Surrounded by trees.

The antenna is aimed through this window.

Trees are in the LOS

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Methinks this is another of those rare cases where address data doesn't match up with coordinate data, and so TVFool got "confuzzled." Most times, even super-expensive, commercial-grade antennas won't pull in anything much below -115 dBm in the "Pwr." column.

Sincere congratulations on this success. Now.. and this is only if I may ask... With scenery like that just outside the window, why in the heck are you guys watching TV??? (Yeah, I know: Because it tends to get dark every evening.) :D

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Sincere congratulations on this success. Now.. and this is only if I may ask... With scenery like that just outside the window, why in the heck are you guys watching TV??? (Yeah, I know: Because it tends to get dark every evening.) :D
No kidding...what a view 1inxs!

Congrats, and that is quite an impressive feat considering that you mounted the Clearstream C4 indoor. That looks like a LOS nightmare. You mentioned that most channels show a signal strength of 8-8 1/2, does that include the high band VHF stations? You're not using a pre-amp at this time, right?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
No kidding...what a view 1inxs!

Congrats, and that is quite an impressive feat considering that you mounted the Clearstream C4 indoor. That looks like a LOS nightmare. You mentioned that most channels show a signal strength of 8-8 1/2, does that include the high band VHF stations? You're not using a pre-amp at this time, right?
I don't receive any VHF stations with this antenna. I don't have any amp or pre- amp connected. Just the antenna through RG6 to the CECB.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I don't receive any VHF stations with this antenna. I don't have any amp or pre- amp connected. Just the antenna through RG6 to the CECB.
I am guessing 1inxs, you must have lucked into the right antenna height and angle to pick up knife edge refraction from a nearby hill. Excellent! :mad:)

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Nice pictures 1inxs, if you're getting 19 channels with snow all around you, have you been able to pick up any more during the Summer here?
Unfortunately we only have 19 channels up here in Summit County. I believe they intend on setting up more after the engineers switch the analog broadcast off completely. Even with 19 channels I don't miss the cable or cable bill.:)

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Unfortunately we only have 19 channels up here in Summit County. I believe they intend on setting up more after the engineers switch the analog broadcast off completely. Even with 19 channels I don't miss the cable or cable bill.:)
19 channels is pretty good. That's more than some people get in cities. Congrats. :cheers:

My DTV success story is a simple one. Digital towers are less than 5 miles from my condo. Bought a set of bunny ears with a vhf loop 2 years ago and haven't had to do anything since then, except for a re-scan after June 12.

While we congradulate you on the amazing 19 ( count'em...19 ) received stations, you neglected to tell the audience that the cabin is at 5000 meters. :nyah:

Now please, technology is supposed to work close to 99 44/100 % of the time. Think about your car, your PC, your fridge. Would you accept a MTBR (Mean Time Between Repairs), or a failure rate of 5+ % ? :second:
We expect a technology to operate to specs. We already know the success rates. It's expected. What is vital to the success of any product like DTV is what it needs to work and how to repair or re-engineer failures.:applause:
"Nobody ever complained about your Buick's front end failing.":popcorn: