Amazon Announces "Fire TV" $99 Streaming Set Top Box

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
View attachment 3155 Amazon, the internet juggernaut that made buying on the internet an everyday occurrance and brought us the Kindle eReader and Kindle Fire tablet devices today announced the release of it's new $99 "Amazon Fire TV" internet streaming device, squarly taking aim at two products Amazon also sells online: Apple TV and Roku players. "We're selling millions of streaming media devices on Amazon.com ... we hear what's working, we hear what's not working," Amazon's Vice President in charge of Kindle said.

Watching what the competition is doing - right or wrong- and combining that knowlege with the integration of Amazon Prime, Amazon's "Free Time" for restricting children's content and the integration of games like “Minecraft,” “Monsters University,” “The Walking Dead,” “NBA2K14,” and “Despicable Me: Minion Rush.” from their own Android app marketplace (see games and apps here: Fire TV Apps
) has the potential to push Amazon ahead of the competition. Add to that the faster processor, the dedicated add-on game controller, and the ability to mirror content from Amazon Kindle Fire tablets, and Amazon certainly sets a new standard in streaming set top boxes.
View attachment 3157
Amazon Fire Game Controller - a $39.99 add-on

Right now I am awaiting delivery of my own Fire TV for a first hand review. Until then, I will leave you with features and specs, along with this advice:

If you own a Roku, AppleTV, or some other streaming device and are happy with it, keep it. However, if you don't own a streaming device or are considering a second device – especially one just for the kids – I would absolutely choose the Amazon Fire TV over the competition, based on all I have read so far. And this is coming from a dedicated Roku enthusiast!

Click on the photos for a larger image:

View attachment 3156
View attachment 3159

MrPogi

Staff member
Yea, I would so choose one over a Roku if I were in the market.

Did I mention that, although it lacks Component/Composite video, it DOES have an optical audio out?

MrPogi

Staff member
Nobody pays for those channels, afik. Channel providers or the STB developers create them.
Roku at this point has a lot of channels because it has been around a long time, and allows development of "private channels". In theory, private channels should be even easier on a *truly* open android platform. But I don't know if the Amazon platform is really open.