American made television sets?

U

Unregistered

Not sure if this is important to anyone else, but I'm researching which TV's are still manufactured in the US? I try to buy American whenever possible, and from what I've seen so far, there doesn't look like there's one TV set made here in America?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

I am unaware of a domestically manufactured TV set but if you find one, please let us know! If my memory holds, Harmon Kardon was the last (major) domestic manufacturer of Stereo equipment and they lasted a few months longer than Heathkit. Sigh.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
There is hope:
TV sets "Imported from Detroit"?
TV owners can soon see the words "Made in America" on their television sets once again as Element Electronics has announced the grand opening and initial production of its new flat screen TV factory in Detroit, Michigan. With production scheduled to begin in March 2012, Element Electronics will be the only TV company assembling TV's in the United States.
HDTVs: Now Made in America | news10.net

Note that these sets will be assembled in the USA from Chinese components initially.
(Detroit is still a third-world country IMHO.)

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Element TV's are made in Detroit, Michigan, I believe. At least assembled there.

Syntax Brillian aka Olevia, now defunct, gave it a good go from about 2005-2010....with a couple of outstanding models, the 47" 747i and the 65" 265, both had unusual thick glass panels on the front and used the amaing Silicon Optix Realta HQV video processing chipsets.

I know that there was a plant in Tennessee or Kentucky that was shut down in the 00s and they made big screen CRTs, and could have switched over to Flat Panels, but management thought it better to close down and move operations to Asia.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Made in America? BS! Assembled as a kit, yes. All Chinese bits and pieces? Pathetic.

No doubt, Obama will have a teleprompter conference to tell the sheeple "WE" are now building HD televisions in America! Televisions are being built here for the first time in over 30 years!

(Audio man, trigger the cheers ...)

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Made in America? BS! Assembled as a kit, yes. All Chinese bits and pieces? Pathetic.

No doubt, Obama will have a teleprompter conference to tell the sheeple "WE" are now building HD televisions in America! Televisions are being built here for the first time in over 30 years!

(Audio man, trigger the cheers ...)
They do aim to produce as much as possible in the usa. It's very difficult to source parts from the USA - I build "Made in the USA" electronics, but almost every component is sourced from Asia.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
I have yet to find a TV that's at least assembled in the USA. My last TV, an RCA 24" CRT TV was made in Mexico. My mom's GE 20" TV I believe was also made in Mexico. Her current TV, an Insignia 26" HDTV (Best Buy brand), if I'm not mistaken, made in China. Most TV's sold local to me have made in China or made in Mexico on them. It was sad when Zenith became the last US maker to move to Mexico in the 90's, then later being the last US TV company, to sell to Goldstar, who later changed their name to LG. LG has slowly phased out Zenith in favor of their own brand.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Assembly is how you start to rebuild. Eventually production of parts closer to assembly will be cost beneficial.

You have to start over.

The last radio made in the US is a Zenith from around 1981 in what used to be the electonics corridor around Chicago.

I support the Element endeavor. Vizio also has a major presence in the USA and has some nicer products than the low end Element. I wish I had gotten an Olevia 747i or 265 back in the day.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
element televisions are made in the USA
I don't have a dog in this hunt but I find it very troubling that they do not offer detailed specifications of their sets on their website as every established 'name-brand' manufacturer provides: Element Electronics

Costco Reviews are all over the place: Costco - Element 40

Lots of mixed reviews here too: Element HDTV Reviews 2012 - Element TV Review & Ratings | HDTV Universe

A quote from one review on July 15, 2012: If it is built in USA then why does my 50″ (ELDFT501J) have a sticker on the back that says “Made in China?”

A quote from another review (04-30-12) is telling: ... "Assembled in the US means nothing is the quality is crap. So far, my “crap” meter is running off the scale on Element. Too hard to contact and vague/missing info on the company web site. I would avoid these at all costs until they clean up their act."

Sorry, from what I have researched online in only half an hour, I wouldn't buy one.

Jim