Amp Position.

Studogvetmed

DTVUSA Jr. Member
My antenna comes into the house via wires that hook to a coxial plug. This plugs into coxial cable that runs along the crawl space (30+ feet perhaps) to where it comes and connects to my converter box. The cable does not split to other locations.

When I had trouble with NBC signal I purchased an amp from radio shack. I placed the amp directly between the box and antenna. Is this the best place for the amp, or is it better off closer to the antenna? Where will best amplification happen?

Thanks for any insight.

My antenna comes into the house via wires that hook to a coxial plug. This plugs into coxial cable that runs along the crawl space (30+ feet perhaps) to where it comes and connects to my converter box. The cable does not split to other locations.

When I had trouble with NBC signal I purchased an amp from radio shack. I placed the amp directly between the box and antenna. Is this the best place for the amp, or is it better off closer to the antenna? Where will best amplification happen?

Thanks for any insight.
closest to the antenna is best but be careful of radio shack amps they are very noisy and this may effect your tuner on your box. the best amps are pre amps that attach on the antenna mast near the antenna and have thier power source inside the house, wineguard and channel master make the best ones.:)

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Just a little more info in addition to Cowboy's answer:

Preamplifiers (Mast-mounted amplifiers) - These should be mounted as close to the antenna as possible. Usually the amplifier comes in two parts:

1. The amplifier. This is an outdoor unit that is normally bolted to the antenna mast. It must have a very low noise figure, and enough gain to overcome the cable loss and the receiver’s noise figure.
2. The power module (power injector). This is an indoor unit that commonly lies on the floor behind the TV. It is inserted into the antenna cable between the amplifier and the TV. This module injects some power, usually DC, into the coaxial cable where the amplifier can use it. The power injector is the amplifier’s power supply.

Distribution amplifiers - These are simple signal boosters. They are often necessary when an antenna drives multiple TVs or when the antenna cable is longer than 150 feet. Distribution amplifiers don’t need to have a low noise figure, but they need to be able to handle large signals without overloading. Commonly, distribution amplifiers have multiple outputs. (Unused outputs usually do not need to be terminated.)
Source: Antenna Basics

Studogvetmed

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks guys.

When you say the radio shack amps can affect the tuner, in a way that will damage the tuner, or in a way that is simply detrimental to the signal?

Thank you.

Thanks guys.

When you say the radio shack amps can affect the tuner, in a way that will damage the tuner, or in a way that is simply detrimental to the signal?

Thank you.
it will create so much noise you will not get a good picture it will show strong signal but you will get pixalation but no it will not damage the tuner