Amplified indoor vs smart indoor antenna

HM1974

DTVUSA Rookie
Does anyone have experience with trying the two types? I am considering buying the Wineguard 3000 but then I have been reading about smart antennas and that they eliminate the need to turn the antenna, but still utilize direction. But my question is, will one of these perform as good as the Wineguard? If it comes down to moving the antenna around myself and being able to get more stations then I will just buy the Wineguard.
And I am well aware of how an outdoor antenna out performs an indoor, etc. An outdoor antenna is not feasible here.
Thanks.

it all depends on your distance from the transmitters if you are over 25 miles an indoor or a smart antenna will not do anything. there are a few small antennas that can be mounted on balconies or on the side of a building if you are closer than 50 miles, over that an a larger antenna is necessary. post your zip code and we can tell you more if any of these antannas will work.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Does anyone have experience with trying the two types? I am considering buying the Wineguard 3000 but then I have been reading about smart antennas and that they eliminate the need to turn the antenna, but still utilize direction. But my question is, will one of these perform as good as the Wineguard? If it comes down to moving the antenna around myself and being able to get more stations then I will just buy the Wineguard.
And I am well aware of how an outdoor antenna out performs an indoor, etc. An outdoor antenna is not feasible here.
Thanks.
Smart antennas will auto-adjust for signals coming from different directions, but as Cowboy said in a nutshell, do not help for long distance. TVFool will tell you the approximate direction of antennas too which will let you know if a smart antenna would help. :)