Analog vs. DTV reception

moosehead

DTVUSA Jr. Member
:confused:I am using a Radioshack VU-190XR outdoor antenna. It is a little over 5' long and almost 4' wide. I also have a DB8 antenna and both are connected together using a Radioshack model 15-2507 amplifier. I have 2 converter boxes the RCA DTA 800B and the Insignia NS-DXA1. (The Insinia is by far the better box as far as editing channels and overall use). My question is that I can recieve some analog channels rather clear but not on digital. Depending on the weather I can recieve certain channels on digital that won't even come close to being recieved on analog. After looking at the coverage page that was put on the site some channels I recieved were twice the distance as some of the channels I am supposed to be recieving that are closer to me but I do not. Is part of my problem because I have both of these antennas hooked together? I have noticed that the DB8 picked up some channels the bigger antenna wouldn't but then again I have both the antennas together. I have also noticed some problems with the RS amp cutting in and out, meaning I can be viewing a channel with high signal strength and it will all of a sudden go to zero signal and back up....even during perfect weather conditions. Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you very much.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you've got a great antenna setup. What city/state are you located in? Approximately, how far away are you from broadcast towers? Do you also use a rotator?

moosehead

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I live in Bradford TN 38316 it is located in NW TN. Right now I do not have a rotor but I can manually rotate my antenna. My mileages come from the tvfool website and I tried to go by their directions without a compass just kinda going by the paper and eyeball. I know not exact science but I figured if I was in the vicintity of the towers I might get a little reception.

FOX - 26.9 mi. I can view analog or DT
ABC - 32.7 mi. analog or DT
PBS - 29.8 mi. analog or DT
NBC - 76.2 mi. analog or DT (digital 55% signal)

Here are my analogs that I can pick up, only I can't pick up digital, if it's real cold and cloudy I can.

WPTY(ABC) - 78.4 mi
CW - 78.4 mi
CBS - 85.3 mi
CBS - 99.9 mi

The reason I put the signal strength on NBC is to show that my next 2 stations are only a little over 2 miles away. Is this because of my set up or are some digital transmissions not as strong as analog ones? I appreciate the time you have taken to help me with my problem. Some wonder why I keep trying but with DirecTV the only thing I watched was the networks. If I can receive these for free why pay Direc? Once again thanks alot!!

:confused:I am using a Radioshack VU-190XR outdoor antenna. It is a little over 5' long and almost 4' wide. I also have a DB8 antenna and both are connected together using a Radioshack model 15-2507 amplifier. I have 2 converter boxes the RCA DTA 800B and the Insignia NS-DXA1. (The Insinia is by far the better box as far as editing channels and overall use). My question is that I can recieve some analog channels rather clear but not on digital. Depending on the weather I can recieve certain channels on digital that won't even come close to being recieved on analog. After looking at the coverage page that was put on the site some channels I recieved were twice the distance as some of the channels I am supposed to be recieving that are closer to me but I do not. Is part of my problem because I have both of these antennas hooked together? I have noticed that the DB8 picked up some channels the bigger antenna wouldn't but then again I have both the antennas together. I have also noticed some problems with the RS amp cutting in and out, meaning I can be viewing a channel with high signal strength and it will all of a sudden go to zero signal and back up....even during perfect weather conditions. Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you very much.
Ok loose the radio shack amp it has way to much noise combine the two antennas with a Channel Master titan 7777 and you should get better results. noise can cause havoc with digital signals. VHF analog signals are stronger than the UHF digital signals, with digital it is all or nothing there is no snow etc. the two antennas should not be a problem as long as they are about 4 ft apart the UHF(DB8) should be on top of the VHF( Radio shack) the Winegard YA1713 VHF Antenna is a higher gain antenna for Vhf. you can look here for more recommendations for deep fringe reception
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-reception/1088-cowboys-deep-fringe-prescription.html:)

moosehead

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for all your help. I understand now. I'll have to wait on that CM titan for a little longer but it will be my next purchase. Once again thank you very much it is greatly appreciated!!